Menu

Please help me pick a history program for next year.

We need to cover 1800s to present (so, Year 4??). My girls infinitely prefer a textbook/workbook approach to a living books approach. I do supplement with interactive notebooks/lapbooks, so if there's a CD with printable timeline figures or maps, that would be a plus.

5th-6th grade level is about right, but need a book that does NOT have a grade level printed on the front because the girls are teenagers, reading well below grade level.

The Human Odyssey textbooks published by K12 seem to be pretty popular for the post-SOTW crowd. The copy I have doesn't have grade level on the actual textbook. You'd want volume 3. Look for them on used book sites instead of straight from K12. I believe there are correlated workbooks but those might have grades on the cover. (Could you have the bindings cut off at an office place and distribute loose pages?)

Edited by SilverMoon
  • Like 2

The Human Odyssey textbooks published by K12 seem to be pretty popular for the post-SOTW crowd. The copy I have doesn't have grade level on the actual textbook. You'd want volume 3. Look for them on used book sites instead of straight from K12. I believe there are correlated workbooks but those might have grades on the cover. (Could you have the bindings cut off at an office place and distribute loose pages?)

Human Odyssey 3 is what K12 uses for 10th grade, and there are no workbooks.

Edited by ondreeuh
  • Like 1

My 12yo 6th grader uses Human Odyssey quite easily.  It could possibly be used for a 9th grade level as well, but it seems to be good for middle school level.  My current 9th grader used it last year, and both she and my 6th grader have reported that it's readable and fairly interesting.  

For a complete curriculum, you may like Pandia's History Odyssey Level 2.  I'd say that their Modern Level 2 is 8th-9th grade level.  We use the Human Odyssey books (and Kingfisher) with it.  I can send you the corresponding chapters from Human Odyssey that we've used; shoot me a PM.  Pandia does use literature to accompany the history texts, but you could skip those if you really didn't want to use them, and in general, it wouldn't affect the history program at all.

• Like 1

10th? HO 1-3 are used in 5th-8th all over this board. Looking on K12 it looks like they start it in 6th, so 6th-8th. The volume 1 I have here certainly isn't high school level and I was under the impression they were all written around the same level. *shrug*

American centric books are probably easier to find for that level than world. Maybe CLP's Exploring American History? It's written for 5th with no number on the cover. Eta: The new cover of this one is a bit cutesy; older editions look more mature.

If you look at the k12 Academy, they use human Odyssey 1 & 2 in 7th and 8th grade. 9th is world history, and 10th is "modern world studies" using Human Odyssey 3. The print is quite a bit smaller than the first 2 volumes. I do own all 3.

Just because many here use HO earlier (my son read it in 7th) doesn't mean it's appropriate for all kids earlier. Kids on this forum skew to the higher achieving end, and OP needs something for kids who are still building skills.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...