Menu

Help with run-on sentences!

My oldest DD (10y9m) does not recognize run-on sentences in her writing.  When we go through her work together, she is able to hesitantly/tentatively locate where new sentences should start, but she does not do this independently.  (Nor does she do this when encouraged to double-check/edit her own work.)  She totally understands capitalization and punctuation, she just doesn't seem to hear the breaks in her writing.

This child was a late reader, late writer, late everything-er. ;)  So I realize this, too, is just another bump in the road, but if you have a great resource for helping students identify/fix a run-on sentence problem, I'd love to hear it!

Always have her read her writing aloud when she'd finished writing, but if she actually can't identify the run-on problem after she has written it, have her orally dictate to herself while she writes. Sometimes it is easier to identify run-ons, incomplete thoughts, or garbled thoughts when you say things while you write them.  

And make sure she is reading aloud daily--I think one of the best ways to train the ear to hear stops is to see them when you hear them.

• Like 5

My oldest DD (10y9m) does not recognize run-on sentences in her writing.  When we go through her work together, she is able to hesitantly/tentatively locate where new sentences should start, but she does not do this independently.  (Nor does she do this when encouraged to double-check/edit her own work.)  She totally understands capitalization and punctuation, she just doesn't seem to hear the breaks in her writing.

This child was a late reader, late writer, late everything-er. ;)  So I realize this, too, is just another bump in the road, but if you have a great resource for helping students identify/fix a run-on sentence problem, I'd love to hear it!

Well, if I might point it out, your sentence that I highlighted in red is a run-on sentence. :-)

I think it takes time, and lots of instruction/correction to recognize run-ons.

• Like 1

Well, if I might point it out, your sentence that I highlighted in red is a run-on sentence. :-)

I think it takes time, and lots of instruction/correction to recognize run-ons.

Ah...but I would argue that forum discussion is different than academic writing. I *did* add a comma to indicate a pause. If she even did that, I might be appeased. :p :)
  • Like 1

I think the big thing right now is to get her to where she actually hears the periods. Commas can wait. 

Does she hear stops when she talks? Does she use run on sentences in regular conversation? When she reads aloud, does she pause at punctuation? 

I don't have an answer to your question. Like spelling, it seems to be one of those things that comes naturally to some kids (especially after reading lots of properly punctuated books) and not to others.

But the reason I'm commenting is because my observation is that, as with spelling, there is not necessarily a relationship with being a good writer and punctuating properly. I am hesitant to admit I used to work as an editor (given the number of errors that surely find their way into my posts here!), but I did, and many, MANY talented writers create beautifully written texts FULL of run-on sentences.

I'd keep on doing what you're doing and some of the above suggestions, but I just wanted to put this problem in perspective. While I would like for every person to master perfect grammar and punctuation, the mechanics of written language don't necessarily come intuitively, not even to the brilliant and creative. Just help her understand the importance of editing (even if it means seeking outside help-- it's not cheating, outside of standardized test land, to seek help from an editor, whether its your mom or a tutor or a professional) before turning over any work that is to be taken seriously.

• Like 3

You mentioned her being late with reading & writing. One of mine was early with those things and run-on sentences are an issue, too. And I would agree that a good writer isn't necessarily good at grammar. I'm terrible at grammar but at one point in my life, I wrote quite well.

After my kid writes a draft full of run on sentences, we both read it aloud. If the run-on isn't noticed right away, I'll ask, "Ok, where did you hear your voice come to a full stop?" Sometimes that works, although if you have a run-on talker, that's not going to do much good.  :laugh: But I agree with having her read aloud and listen to audiobooks or stories on podcasts, if that would help.

Also agreeing that it is something to work on. But it isn't something I get too worked up over, or at least I wouldn't for her age. My run-on sentence kid is a prolific writer and at this point, I'm doing what I can to keep the love for it going. Grammar is important, and I wish I were an expert but I did well enough winging it most of the time.

I was just talking about research, citations, and formatting with one of mine and we discussed how no professional writer gets it all done alone. As mentioned, editors have jobs for a reason. And look at the the number of people thanked or credited by professional authors in their books.

I was just reading in a local paper and some news article were full of run-on sentences and commas where even I know commas do not belong.  :huh: 

Finally, for those who just love to talk about punctuation, some fun articles:

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/10/world/europe/period-full-stop-point-whatever-its-called-millennials-arent-using-it.html?_r=0
(This is about texing/social media patterns, but I first saw people using periods. like. this. on FB and just saw it in a print children's book published recently. Also, the comments section is just full of grammar nerds!) 

http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglophenia/2014/09/punctuation-day-brits-call-period-full-stop

http://grammarist.com/usage/full-stop-period/

http://www.sussex.ac.uk/informatics/punctuation/stopsandmarks/full