Menu

Schools that give in-state tuition to out of state applicants

DawnM

Editing since I had the info incorrect.  It would still be helpful to post.

If you know of them, please post, schools, school systems, etc....

Might be helpful for some.

Edited by DawnM

Dawn, you might want to talk with some of the WTMers who live in CA and discuss if it would be easier for your DS to get into a CA school as an out-of-state resident (which could impact your choice to move back to CA). That is becoming a huge hurdle for some CA residents -- surplus of in-state residents wanting to attend college in-state. A fair number of applicants are being turned down for admission.

Also, you may find it faster/easier to find a possible tuition break by first listing colleges/universities of INTEREST and a fit for your student, and then searching to see which of those might have across-the-board tuition rates, or a reciprocity agreement -- rather than "I live in CA, I need to list all schools that have the same in-state/out-of-state tuition, or a reciprocity agreement." ;) Just a thought. ?

Ideas of schools with same tuition rate for in-state / out-of-state applicants:

Tuition Exchange Programs -- attend an out-of-state school for in-state tuition costs:
(OP -- you would be looking at WICHE/WUE schools for CA residence)

Academic Common Market (discount dependent on program) -- schools in 15 southern states
Midwestern Higher Education Compact (≤ 150% in-state tuition) -- schools in 12 midwestern states
New England Board of Higher Education (discount dependent on school) -- schools in 6 new england states
WICHE/WUE (150% of in-state tuition) -- schools in 15 western states + commonwealth of Northern Marianna Islands
National Student Exchange (pay home school tuition rate) -- schools in US, Canada, Guam, Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands
ISEP (depends on program) -- schools in 50+ countries

Neighbor State Tuition Reciprocity Programs:
- Kentucky with Ohio, Illinois, Tennessee, West Virginia (individual "paired state" agreements)
- New Mexico and Colorado (individual "paired state" agreement)
- Northern Florida with Southern Geogia
- University of Minnesota, with Wisconsin, North Dakota, South Dakota, and province of Manitoba, Canada

Neighbor Counties Tuition Agreements, for certain degree programs:
- University of Louisville in KY, with some counties in Indiana and Ohio
- University of Cincinnati, with some counties in Indiana and Kentucky

Flexible Residency for Tuition Purposes (from a FastWeb article)
Allows students to apply for temporary residency in specific circumstances:

Arizona State University
Florida - state university system
University of California Santa Cruz
University of Wisconsin system
Ohio

DC Tuition Assistance Grant -- DC residents can receive
- $10,000/year toward any public university outside of DC
- or $2500/year (has eligibility requirements) towards certain district colleges, historically black colleges, and 2-year colleges nation-wide

Children of Alumni waiver for out of state tuition fees
- Northwestern Oklahoma State University

Schools with the same tuition cost regardless of residency (as of 2017)
- Minot State University in ND
- Grand Canyon University in AZ 
Union University in TN
- Mississippi Valley State University in MS
- Delta State University in MS
- Bemidji State University in MN
- University of Minnesota Crookston in MN

Articles with more ideas
Best Colleges: "2016 List of 50 Lowest Out of State Tuition"
Affordable Colleges: "50 Most Affordable Public Schools for Out of State Students"
Affordable Schools: "20 Tuition-Free Colleges"

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

I didn't realize that Cal State schools no longer have anything out of state.  If you are accepted, you pay in-state tuition.  That opens up more possibilities.

I'm sure I'm misunderstanding this.  Are you saying that out-of-state residents pay in-state tuition at California State Universities?  I don't think that is correct.  (e.g. WUE for a non-resitdent usually runs about 150% of in-state tuition, which is still much better than non-resident tuition for students from states that don't participate in WUE)

Edited by wapiti
  • Like 1

Ok, I had no idea.

I have already said that we are moving back to California. We are hoping to move AFTER my son graduates next year, so he won't have a year in CA yet.

I didn't realize that Cal State schools no longer have anything out of state. If you are accepted, you pay in-state tuition. That opens up more possibilities.

I know there are other places.

If you know of them, please post, schools, school systems, etc....

Might be helpful for some.

It looks like this is semantics. All students pay in state tuition. Non resident students ALSO pay the non resident tuition.

Read to the bottom here. http://www.calstate.edu/sas/costofattendance/

• Like 1

It will not impact our move, even if they don't have that.  We are moving NOT because of him, he is looking at CA colleges partly because we are moving and partly because he likes the college choices out there.  We are moving to go back home.

I see the out of state now.  When I ran the net price calculator with our out of state address and clicked "non CA resident" it popped up with in-state tuition prices.....not sure why.

Thanks for clearing that up.  For a full day I thought we were good!  

Edited by DawnM

I'm sure I'm misunderstanding this.  Are you saying that out-of-state residents pay in-state tuition at California State Universities?  I don't think that is correct.  (e.g. WUE for a non-resitdent usually runs about 150% of in-state tuition, which is still much better than non-resident tuition for students from states that don't participate in WUE)

We aren't in one of the WUE states, so that wouldn't even apply to us.

Also, you may find it faster/easier to find a possible tuition break by first listing colleges/universities of INTEREST and a fit for your student, and then searching to see which of those might have across-the-board tuition rates, or a reciprocity agreement -- rather than "I live in CA, I need to list all schools that have the same in-state/out-of-state tuition, or a reciprocity agreement." ;) Just a thought. :)

Oh, no, I don't need a list of schools in CA.  We know what he wants to study and the schools that offer it.

I was merely saying, if people know of schools, list them for EVERYONE to see and get a better understanding of options if there are any.

We are moving HOME, we are from CA.  This isn't a "my kid is going to school there, so let's just move across the country."

Thanks for the great list.

Edited by DawnM

It looks like this is semantics. All students pay in state tuition. Non resident students ALSO pay the non resident tuition.

Read to the bottom here. http://www.calstate.edu/sas/costofattendance/

I see.  Ok, I must have misunderstood.  Thanks.  I guess we either need to wait a year after moving or pay the higher rate for a year.

I wonder if the people I spoke to don't understand either.  Their child got into a Cal State School (not sure which one) and they said there was no out of state tuition (and no, they weren't talking about scholarships to bring the tuition down.)

On 3/19/2017 at 3:58 AM, DawnM said:

Oh, no, I don't need a list of schools in CA.  We know what he wants to study and the schools that offer it.
I was merely saying, if people know of schools, list them for EVERYONE to see and get a better understanding of options if there are any.

Ah, I see now. ?

I added a small section to my original post, with a handful of schools that have "all residents" tuition (so no in-state/out-of-state). Several are 2nd tier schools, the rest are 3rd tier schools (as Margaret in CO phrased it, "low tier schools").

Good luck in finding a great match, academically, program-wise, and financially! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

(e.g. WUE for a non-resitdent usually runs about 150% of in-state tuition, which is still much better than non-resident tuition for students from states that don't participate in WUE)

Thanks for pointing that out. :) I added that "addendum" to those exchange programs in my list above.

I see. Ok, I must have misunderstood. Thanks. I guess we either need to wait a year after moving or pay the higher rate for a year.

I wonder if the people I spoke to don't understand either. Their child got into a Cal State School (not sure which one) and they said there was no out of state tuition (and no, they weren't talking about scholarships to bring the tuition down.)

Hard to say. I think most military families qualify for in state if they are stationed in the state, even if they keep a residency elsewhere. When you leave the military the waiting period to establish state residency typically doesn't apply.

• Like 1

Check out the University of Texas schools.  I remember from decades back that at UT Southwestern Medical School, they charge OOS tuition only the first year.  After that, you pay in state.  I have no idea if that's true for undergrads now.  

That is true for most schools, provided you change your DL and some require a stay over the summer.

That is true for most schools, provided you change your DL and some require a stay over the summer.

This is not true in most states or for the state of TX.

If you are independent for tax purposes, you may gain resident status if you establish domicile in the state. If your parent(s) claim you as a dependent on their federal income tax return, they must establish domicile in the state for you to claim residency.

To establish domicile, you or your parent(s) must meet the following criteria:

Live in Texas for 12 consecutive months; and

Establish and maintain domicile for 12 consecutive months, as evidenced by:

Gainful employment in Texas;

Note: Student jobs do not qualify as gainful employment.

Sole or joint marital ownership of residential real property in Texas by the person seeking to enroll or the dependent’s parent, having established and maintained a domicile at the residence;

Ownership and operation of a business in Texas; or

Marriage for one year to a person who has established domicile in Texas.

https://admissions.utexas.edu/residency#fndtn-residency-establishing-domicile-requirements
  • Like 2

On 3/19/2017 at 12:11 PM, daijobu said:

Check out the University of Texas schools.  I remember from decades back that at UT Southwestern Medical School, they charge OOS tuition only the first year.  After that, you pay in state.  I have no idea if that's true for undergrads now.  

On 3/20/2017 at 1:59 PM, DawnM said:

Here are some resources for checking on residency, as it varies from state to state:
FastWeb: State Residency Requirements
In State 101: State by State Rules
FinAid: In-State Tuition and State Residency Requirements

And, for the OP, who will be moving to CA ? : Criteria to Establish Residence in CA for Tuition Purposes

Edited by Lori D.

Here are some resources for checking on residency, as it varies from state to state:

FastWeb: State Residency Requirements

In State 101: State by State Rules

FinAid: In-State Tuition and State Residency Requirements

And, for the OP, who will be moving to CA :) : Criteria to Establish Residence in CA for Tuition Purposes

Yes, I did see that, I just was given wrong info about the Cal State schools. I changed my OP.

We have been talking and DH and I sat middle son down and told him that the first year, if he doesn't get some scholarship help, he will need to attend the local CC first.  Even with out of state tuition, it is around $6,000 to attend and he can live at home.

He can transfer after one or two years.

His grades are good, but not stellar.  I think he has a 3.7 right now, weighted.  And he isn't the best test taker.  We are waiting for his ACT scores and he is signing up for an ACT class next semester, but that may be a little late in the game as he will be a senior next year.

• Like 1

I don't believe this to be correct. I was in college 25 years ago and it wasn't true for me even then.

Huh.  Ok, well, I stand corrected.  My friend's kids went out of state (TX and KY) and it was true for both of them.

I did not attend a state school until I moved to CA for grad school, but I also had a job and was living there after college, and it was true for me at that time.

I also went to college about 25 years ago.

Hard to say. I think most military families qualify for in state if they are stationed in the state, even if they keep a residency elsewhere. When you leave the military the waiting period to establish state residency typically doesn't apply.

They are not military.  I have asked my friend to ask them but she hasn't gotten back to me yet.

On 3/21/2017 at 1:46 AM, DawnM said:

We have been talking and DH and I sat middle son down and told him that the first year, if he doesn't get some scholarship help, he will need to attend the local CC first...

This is excellent. I know it is so hard for students to grasp that they will be responsible for any debt. They've never had debt and we parents have always paid for everything, so these figures of thousands of dollars of debt and what that will look like to pay it off -- the impact it has on all of their future decisions -- just isn't real to them. Dang. These huge figures and the reality are hardly understandable and believable to *me*!  :eek:

...if he doesn't get some scholarship help, he will need to attend the local CC first.  Even with out of state tuition, it is around $6,000 to attend and he can live at home.

He can transfer after one or two years...

This can be a great option, esp. if the student isn't going to receive a lot of federal aid (grants and work study) or merit/other aid (scholarships). A good GPA at the CC can really help with transfer acceptance, but esp. with transfer scholarships.

If it looks like he will go the CC route, in the spring of the senior year, be looking at the CC's scholarships and applying. A student with a 3.7 GPA and a decent ACT/SAT score is apt to be eligible for some merit aid, esp. if your DS can have some regular volunteering and leadership extracurriculars to boost his attractiveness. (Our DS#1 landed some scholarships at the CC this way!)

Then, look for transfer scholarships once DS is at the CC. Our CC has several partial tuition scholarships that funnel directly into the local university.

Also, if your DS goes this route, be sure to join the Phi Theta Kappa honor society if invited, as they offer transfer scholarships. NOTE: their transfer scholarship deadline is EARLY -- like about 10 months before the transfer to a university would happen, with Oct/Nov being the annual deadline for starting at a 4-year university the following fall semester.

...His grades are good, but not stellar.  I think he has a 3.7 right now, weighted.  And he isn't the best test taker.  We are waiting for his ACT scores and he is signing up for an ACT class next semester, but that may be a little late in the game as he will be a senior next year.

This is a fine GPA, and depending on the ACT and on the school, if he can manage a 28-30 score, he will be in partial scholarship range for many schools.

Sounds like you're doing some good research of all your options, and are already able to start forming some tentative plans. Just keep plugging away at it -- you never know what hidden gem of financial aid or college option you may uncover. ? BEST of luck! Warmly, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

This is excellent. I know it is so hard for students to grasp that they will be responsible for any debt. They've never had debt and we parents have always paid for everything, so these figures of thousands of dollars of debt and what that will look like to pay it off -- the impact it has on all of their future decisions -- just isn't real to them. Dang. These huge figures and the reality are hardly understandable and believable to *me*!  :eek:

This can be a great option, esp. if the student isn't going to receive a lot of federal aid (grants and work study) or merit/other aid (scholarships). A good GPA at the CC can really help with transfer acceptance, but esp. with transfer scholarships.

If it looks like he will go the CC route, in the spring of the senior year, be looking at the CC's scholarships and applying. A student with a 3.7 GPA and a decent ACT/SAT score is apt to be eligible for some merit aid, esp. if your DS can have some regular volunteering and leadership extracurriculars to boost his attractiveness. (Our DS#1 landed some scholarships at the CC this way!)

Then, look for transfer scholarships once DS is at the CC. Our CC has several partial tuition scholarships that funnel directly into the local university.

Also, if your DS goes this route, be sure to join the Phi Theta Kappa honor society if invited, as they offer transfer scholarships. NOTE: their transfer scholarship deadline is EARLY -- like about 10 months before the transfer to a university would happen, with Oct/Nov being the annual deadline for starting at a 4-year university the following fall semester.

OH, THANK YOU!  Our oldest is in the CC right now and was offered this and we weren't going to bother.  But since he will be finished with his 2 year degree here in NC and will be out of state in CA, this could come in handy if he could get it!

This is a fine GPA, and depending on the ACT and on the school, if he can manage a 28-30 score, he will be in partial scholarship range for many schools.

Sounds like you're doing some good research of all your options, and are already able to start forming some tentative plans. Just keep plugging away at it -- you never know what hidden gem of financial aid or college option you may uncover. :) BEST of luck! Warmly, Lori D.

I am thinking he will score more in the 22-26 range.  UGH.

But I will know more in the next week or so when the ACT scores come back.

Edited by DawnM

Well, it's not a LOT. The scholarships vary from branch to branch, from a few hundred dollars to a few thousand dollars, and they are just 1-time awards. But, DS can also look for other transfer scholarships as well.

On 3/21/2017 at 9:40 AM, DawnM said:

I am thinking he will score more in the 22-26 range.  UGH.
But I will know more in the next week or so when the ACT scores come back.

You never know. Hopefully you will get a good surprise. ? If he ends up right on the bubble with a 27, it will REALLY be worth it to go through some good prep and re-take the test, as 28 seems to be the "magic number" for partial tuition scholarship money for NOT top-tier/competitive schools.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

I think there may be some Scholarships, where if an out-of-state student receives them, they might then qualify for in-state tuition? Not sure, but that may be possible, with certain schools and specific scholarships?  Texas Tech University I believe offers lower tuition to students who live in some Eastern counties in New Mexico and I think also to students in some counties in the Oklahoma Panhandle. I read that several years ago on their web site.  There are probably a lot of situations like that.  I seem to recall threads on WTM (from people in CA, and possibly in other states) who wrote that it was much  less expensive for their DC to go to an out-of-state school and pay out-of-state tuition, than to attend a state school in their own state,  where they would pay in-state tuition.  

NOTE: I assume this applies to Private schools.  I wonder if there are also Public schools where it can be done?  There is an "Extra" I've seen a number of times. Gerri Willis (who is now out with Breast Cancer) of Fox Business Channel wrote a book. In the "Extra" she mentioned trying to get the total cost the family will pay down. I believe she said about 40% of families who ask politely, get a lower cost?  Or at 40% of schools?  She said not to refer to it as "Negotiation", but to say something like, "My child is really interested in attending your institution, but the number you gave us is not something our family can do".  If one is fortunate, the person from the university will then offer a lower cost to the family.  

• Like 1

Well, it's not a LOT. The scholarships vary from branch to branch, from a few hundred dollars to a few thousand dollars, and they are just 1-time awards. But, DS can also look for other transfer scholarships as well.

You never know. Hopefully you will get a good surprise. ;) If he ends up right on the bubble with a 27, it will REALLY be worth it to go through some good prep and re-take the test, as 28 seems to be the "magic number" for partial tuition scholarship money for NOT top-tier/competitive schools.

Yup, we have already had this discussion!  

I think there may be some Scholarships, where if an out-of-state student receives them, they might then qualify for in-state tuition? Not sure, but that may be possible, with certain schools and specific scholarships?  Texas Tech University I believe offers lower tuition to students who live in some Eastern counties in New Mexico and I think also to students in some counties in the Oklahoma Panhandle. I read that several years ago on their web site.  There are probably a lot of situations like that.  I seem to recall threads on WTM (from people in CA, and possibly in other states) who wrote that it was much  less expensive for their DC to go to an out-of-state school and pay out-of-state tuition, than to attend a state school in their own state,  where they would pay in-state tuition.  

NOTE: I assume this applies to Private schools.  I wonder if there are also Public schools where it can be done?  There is an "Extra" I've seen a number of times. Gerri Willis (who is now out with Breast Cancer) of Fox Business Channel wrote a book. In the "Extra" she mentioned trying to get the total cost the family will pay down. I believe she said about 40% of families who ask politely, get a lower cost?  Or at 40% of schools?  She said not to refer to it as "Negotiation", but to say something like, "My child is really interested in attending your institution, but the number you gave us is not something our family can do".  If one is fortunate, the person from the university will then offer a lower cost to the family.  

No, CA schools in-state with in-state tuition are more than reasonable.  

They are less than NC state schools, and NC in-state is pretty low.

• Like 1

You never know. Hopefully you will get a good surprise. ;) If he ends up right on the bubble with a 27, it will REALLY be worth it to go through some good prep and re-take the test, as 28 seems to be the "magic number" for partial tuition scholarship money for NOT top-tier/competitive schools.

Good to know.

• 3 weeks later...

I know this thread has a bit of age on it, but I recently came across a couple of schools that could be added to this list:

U of Toledo offers in-state tuition rates for fairly low ACT scores and GPA (2.75 GPA or a 21 ACT and 2.3 GPA).  UT also offers generous automatic merit scholarships.

U of Cincinnati offers OOS students from certain states, e.g., Georgia and Virginia (there are four more I don't remember), $6,000/year if they meet ACT (26) and GPA requirements.  It is about a third of the OOS premium.

• Like 1