Menu

Chicken shawarma dinner party

lewber

Ok, I saw this recipe here a few months ago and made it for dinner. It was delicious. A few people/recipe sites say serve with platters of cucumbers, tomatoes, etc. How does this work? How do people eat those? I just ate my chicken over rice, but I need more options for the dinner group.

So, specific ideas and instructions of what this dinner party should include and how it should be served, please:)

Casually serving 10-12 women.

• Like 2

Is it this recipe?

Oven Roasted chicken shawarma (link to New York Times)

I put out the platter of it and plates/bowls of pita bread (cut in half), sliced cucumbers, sliced or chopped tomatoes, yogurt sauce, maybe some hummus, or sometimes falafels, or a chickpea salad (I think it's called Mediterranean smashed chickpeas, on the same site), feta cheese, kalamata olives... and let people help themselves.  Stuff it in a pita, or just put some on the plate and eat it.  I might also put pita chips for dipping into hummus, depends on the size of the crowd, etc. 

It's a wonderful dish.  We have it every two weeks or so.  We're due now.

• Like 2

When I had people over when we made a dish similar to this, I told them it was like Mediterranean tacos. 

Pita bread for the taco shell, then I had feta cheese, shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, and tzatziki sauce for the toppings. I had roasted lemon-garlic potatoes, and I think I had either green beans or asparagus for the veggie. 

I wish I had thought of olives and hummus!

• Like 3

I serve it with a chopped salad like this:

http://toriavey.com/toris-kitchen/2010/01/israeli-salad-week/

I also serve it with pita, yogurt sauce, crumbled feta, hummus, and couscous with almonds and apricots. It's an easy, make-ahead dinner party meal and people can assemble their plates however they wish.

ETA: To streamline serving, I cook the chicken, remove the bones, then heat under the broiler just before serving.

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 3

Thanks! I get way over stressed about these things. I've decided on rice and Greek salad, then some extra chopped tomatoes and cucumbers, hummus and roasted chickpeas if they want a pita. I feel like there should be another veggie but with the onions and the salad, it should be ok?

I also went to the "fancy" grocery store and got the makings of an awesome appetizer platter.

I did forget about dessert though:(

• Like 1

Thanks! I get way over stressed about these things. I've decided on rice and Greek salad, then some extra chopped tomatoes and cucumbers, hummus and roasted chickpeas if they want a pita. I feel like there should be another veggie but with the onions and the salad, it should be ok?

I also went to the "fancy" grocery store and got the makings of an awesome appetizer platter.

I did forget about dessert though:(

A lot of times, I make eggplant with this dish.  I just sautee in olive oil and garlic.

Dessert: Pick up baklava somewhere!

• Like 1

Red lentil soup would be traditional.  My favorite recipe is Claudia Roden's.  I will sometimes add in one potato chopped, plus a few carrots and celery too.  I puree everythign with a stick blender and use a lot of lemon.

I like my schwarma with tzatziki over tahini. I rarely use dill, though.  Just omit it.  I often add a few glugs of olive oil too.   I like it as a sandwich vs. over rice but both are good.  Many people serve it with pickled turnip that is dyed bright red with beet juice.  I do a pita (warmed in the oven or nuked), chicken, tomatoes and cukes and onions diced, and tzatziki.  

For dessert, baklava or basboussa is good.  You can use cream of wheat cereal to replace the semolina if you can't find it.   Traditional, though, would also be to serve fruit.  My husband's family would peel the oranges or apple or whatever before giving it to a guest.

Mint tea or Arabic coffee is good too.

• Like 2

Ok help!! I was mixing up my spices and I used SMOKED paprika. Am I supposed to use regular paprika? I can't remember what I used last time and it doesn't specify SMOKED so I'm thinking I should not have done that.

I haven't mixed the oil in so I can re-do it. What says the HIVE cooks?!?

Ok help!! I was mixing up my spices and I used SMOKED paprika. Am I supposed to use regular paprika? I can't remember what I used last time and it doesn't specify SMOKED so I'm thinking I should not have done that.

I haven't mixed the oil in so I can re-do it. What says the HIVE cooks?!?

Not smoked paprika. :(

• Like 1

Thank you so much for this original recipe! My party was a big success. Everyone asked for the recipe. I get stressed out so I cooked it to come out about 15 minutes before guests arrived, sliced it and kept it warm. There was plenty of marinade to keep it moist so I just put it under the broiler to crisp it up right before I served it. Turned out great.

I ended up with roasted cauliflower, pita and hummus, rice and Greek salad. I was too scared to try something I hadn't made before for guests:)

Nice to have a new company dinner idea on the rotation.

• Like 3

Thank you so much for this original recipe! My party was a big success. Everyone asked for the recipe. I get stressed out so I cooked it to come out about 15 minutes before guests arrived, sliced it and kept it warm. There was plenty of marinade to keep it moist so I just put it under the broiler to crisp it up right before I served it. Turned out great.

I ended up with roasted cauliflower, pita and hummus, rice and Greek salad. I was too scared to try something I hadn't made before for guests:)

Nice to have a new company dinner idea on the rotation.

Yay!!!  Thanks for the update!  Glad it was a success!

I am using Ottolenghi's recipes for chicken and lamb shawarma for my wedding, although I use the NY Times one for the family sometimes.  In fact, you inspired me to make it the other night!  I grilled the chicken and it turned out just as good as always.