What's with the ads?

#1 texasmom33

texasmom33

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4457 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 07:21 PM

Calling all CiRCE fans. If I have $15-20 (not including tax) to spend, which of these audio talks would you recommend I buy

I want good talks, but I am not brilliant so I don't want my head to explode either. I went to a couple of Martin Cothran's talks at GHC and was left going  :confused1: at several points. Although perhaps being able to listen to it multiple times might help.......or not.  :blushing:

Edited by texasmom33, 15 March 2017 - 07:42 PM.

• Woodland Mist Academy and cintinative like this

#2 Woodland Mist Academy

Woodland Mist Academy

Wandering through Wonders

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4457 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 07:26 PM

Why do I get the feeling that reading this thread is going to end up costing me? 

ETA: For anyone posting reviews, would you please mention if the talks you are reviewing are geared towards working with specific age groups? For example, is the habits one geared towards those with young children?

Edited by Woodland Mist Academy, 15 March 2017 - 07:30 PM.

• myblessings4, arliemaria, Artichoke and 3 others like this

#3 thessa516

thessa516

Hive Mind Level 5 Worker: Forager Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:14 AM

:bigear:

• Woodland Mist Academy likes this

#4 Zoo Keeper

Zoo Keeper

Tamer of Man and Beasts

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2082 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:39 AM

I've always enjoyed hearing Cindy Rollins...she's not quite as "theoretical" as some of the other speakers can be.  I think that living with and schooling multiple children (especially teenage boys) knocks some of that out of you. ;)  She has a talk on morning time under the free audio resources...

I will say that many of Andrew Kern's talks have taken multiples listens for me to have the lightbulb moment.

• Woodland Mist Academy, birchbark, cintinative and 2 others like this

#5 Jacbeaumont

Jacbeaumont

Hive Mind Level 3 Worker: Honeymaking Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 189 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 10:50 AM

I'm so glad I'm not alone. Sometimes I feel so dim when I listen to CiRCE talks!

They definitely require more than one listen....

Sent from my U9200 using Tapatalk
  • Woodland Mist Academy, Zoo Keeper, cintinative and 1 other like this

#6 texasmom33

texasmom33

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4457 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 03:01 PM

I've always enjoyed hearing Cindy Rollins...she's not quite as "theoretical" as some of the other speakers can be.  I think that living with and schooling multiple children (especially teenage boys) knocks some of that out of you. ;)  She has a talk on morning time under the free audio resources...

I will say that many of Andrew Kern's talks have taken multiples listens for me to have the lightbulb moment.

Yes, I am learning that! And Martin Cothran's have taken even more for the one's I've listened too. But they're worth it! I saw them both at GHC (and Dr. Perrin, and Carol Reynolds, and of course Andrew Pudewa) and my brain hasn't stopped churning since. I bought the talks I couldn't attend and have listened to those, so I'm ready for more. I found the free resource page last night and have spent the last 18 hours thinking on A Contemplation of Nature. Do we have an emoji with fireworks exploding from its head?!?

• Woodland Mist Academy, Zoo Keeper, cintinative and 1 other like this

#7 texasmom33

texasmom33

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4457 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 03:03 PM

Why do I get the feeling that reading this thread is going to end up costing me? 

ETA: For anyone posting reviews, would you please mention if the talks you are reviewing are geared towards working with specific age groups? For example, is the habits one geared towards those with young children?

This one seems timely. :) 

https://www.circeins...e-wear-our-days

#8 myblessings4

myblessings4

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5023 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 09:12 PM

That's why I kept passing by this thread! Until now.
  • Woodland Mist Academy and texasmom33 like this

#9 tranquility7

tranquility7

Hive Mind Level 5 Worker: Forager Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1148 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 10:05 PM

Ooh, good thread!

I almost always enjoy Andrew Kern - I say "almost" only because sometimes I just want to say, "Just TELL ME what you are trying to say! Stop making me decipher everything!!!!"

After listening to him over the years (and yes, many talks more than once!), one thing I have realized about him is that he is constantly using the teaching methods he espouses on his audience. He is trying to teach (among other things) *how* to teach mimetically, socratically, etc. And so he is using words to do it, yet also often *modeling it* for us. This is sometimes a challenge since he often is teaching to a large audience, and in that circumstance the natural tendency for most speakers is to teach in a "lecture" style. Kern, however, seems to try to always teach as though his audience is only 5 people, even though it might be 100. He always asks lots of questions, answers questions with questions, etc. So anyway, I mention this only because I think if you not only *listen* to his words, but also give attention to the actual way that he is teaching, it is very helpful for clarifying what he is saying.

Also, Circe has lots of free podcasts, many of which are very good. I really like listening to Kern on podcasts because the context is often more conversational and less prepared, and since he *doesn't* have an audience with whom he can interact, I actually find him to be a bit more straightforward in his communication style. They also have some videos up on Vimeo that I find equally enjoyable for the same reason. Sometimes I love the conference talks that my brain has to chew on... but sometimes my brain is just too tired for that and I need some straight talk!

• Zoo Keeper, ScoutTN, cintinative and 3 others like this

#10 texasmom33

texasmom33

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4457 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 05:30 AM

Ooh, good thread!
I almost always enjoy Andrew Kern - I say "almost" only because sometimes I just want to say, "Just TELL ME what you are trying to say! Stop making me decipher everything!!!!"

After listening to him over the years (and yes, many talks more than once!), one thing I have realized about him is that he is constantly using the teaching methods he espouses on his audience. He is trying to teach (among other things) *how* to teach mimetically, socratically, etc. And so he is using words to do it, yet also often *modeling it* for us. This is sometimes a challenge since he often is teaching to a large audience, and in that circumstance the natural tendency for most speakers is to teach in a "lecture" style. Kern, however, seems to try to always teach as though his audience is only 5 people, even though it might be 100. He always asks lots of questions, answers questions with questions, etc. So anyway, I mention this only because I think if you not only *listen* to his words, but also give attention to the actual way that he is teaching, it is very helpful for clarifying what he is saying.

Also, Circe has lots of free podcasts, many of which are very good. I really like listening to Kern on podcasts because the context is often more conversational and less prepared, and since he *doesn't* have an audience with whom he can interact, I actually find him to be a bit more straightforward in his communication style. They also have some videos up on Vimeo that I find equally enjoyable for the same reason. Sometimes I love the conference talks that my brain has to chew on... but sometimes my brain is just too tired for that and I need some straight talk!

Thank you for mentioning that on the teaching. Now I'm going to look for that on the next talk.

I've listened to the podcast on and off for the last few months- especially the ones with dd's teacher Mr.Callihan on them. :) I love their chats and their senses of humor. It makes them all so much more relateable and less intimidating. Andrew moderated the Classical panel discussion at GHC a last month and he was hysterical!! Actually I think they all were. :)
  • Woodland Mist Academy, cintinative and NikiSC like this

#11 coralloyd

coralloyd

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1107 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:43 AM

JMO but after hearing Andrew Kern a few times this quote from Mark Twain is the sentiment I feel.

"We have natural & justifiable distrust of talky men who make a sounding & ostentatious pretense of saying a thing & yet don’t say it after all -- men who hide a mustard-seed of an idea in a kaleidoscope of words, so that the more you turn the thing the more you can’t quite capture that elusive little idea, because it always takes refuge, just in time, behind a new & bewitching rainbow-explosion of fine language...."

A lot of what he says seems, to me, to be completely unnecessary to make the point he is driving at. Again JMO, I know a lot of people here get a lot from his lectures. I just sit there and think, "Just say it already!" I am, however, going to give him another chance. If anyone has a recommendation that they think won't drive me nuts, I am open to suggestions.

• Penelope, Woodland Mist Academy, nansk and 3 others like this

#12 Woodland Mist Academy

Woodland Mist Academy

Wandering through Wonders

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4457 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:05 AM

Love the quote! I can't remember which speaker of the group it was, but during one session I watched quite some time ago, when someone asked a practical question he responded something to the effect that unfortunately there wasn't time to go into details of practicalities, and then took the next question.  :confused1:  :huh:

The lectures are definitely hit or miss for me, especially since I come from a different world-view. There was one a year or so ago, however, that really hit home. I think about it often, but don't remember the name of it. I don't think it's any of the ones here.  I'm thinking of trying ones from the speakers I've not heard before. 

• texasmom33 likes this

#13 texasmom33

texasmom33

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4457 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 02:06 PM

JMO but after hearing Andrew Kern a few times this quote from Mark Twain is the sentiment I feel.

"We have natural & justifiable distrust of talky men who make a sounding & ostentatious pretense of saying a thing & yet don’t say it after all -- men who hide a mustard-seed of an idea in a kaleidoscope of words, so that the more you turn the thing the more you can’t quite capture that elusive little idea, because it always takes refuge, just in time, behind a new & bewitching rainbow-explosion of fine language...."

A lot of what he says seems, to me, to be completely unnecessary to make the point he is driving at. Again JMO, I know a lot of people here get a lot from his lectures. I just sit there and think, "Just say it already!" I am, however, going to give him another chance. If anyone has a recommendation that they think won't drive me nuts, I am open to suggestions.

I can see that with some of his talks, for sure. Actually with the whole cadre of them at certain points. I think that's why I like Andrew Pudewa so much- I can almost always pull something immediately useful and doable from his talks. But I do feel Andrew Kern's talks speak more to the why behind doing what we are doing, and honestly some parts of my life as a Christian in general that I'm trying to impart to my kids.  Sometimes it's more sermon on spiritual life I feel like than something inherently useful as a homeschooling mom. Right now I'm in a spot to find that very encouraging. At other points I would find it very annoying. Just tell me what to do and move on. 

• Woodland Mist Academy, cintinative, WoolC and 1 other like this

#14 KSinNS

KSinNS

Hive Mind Level 6 Worker: Scout Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 02:28 PM

Personal favourites. I really enjoyed the whole Further Up and Further In series about the quadrivium. Talk #3 was the best. Paula Flint's Who's in the lifeboat is an amazing talk if you are interested in educating kids with special needs. The Distorted Image, by Angela Stanford, is also an excellent talk about the relationship between mythology/fairy tales and Christ. Really interesting. 

• Targhee, Zoo Keeper and texasmom33 like this

#15 WoolC

WoolC

Hive Mind Level 2 Worker: Nurse Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 07:04 PM

I can see that with some of his talks, for sure. Actually with the whole cadre of them at certain points. I think that's why I like Andrew Pudewa so much- I can almost always pull something immediately useful and doable from his talks. But I do feel Andrew Kern's talks speak more to the why behind doing what we are doing, and honestly some parts of my life as a Christian in general that I'm trying to impart to my kids. Sometimes it's more sermon on spiritual life I feel like than something inherently useful as a homeschooling mom. Right now I'm in a spot to find that very encouraging. At other points I would find it very annoying. Just tell me what to do and move on.

Yes! I don't listen to Circe talks for the nuts and bolts of how to teach math, history, literature etc. I listen for my own education and inspiration. My husband actually listens along with me and he gets a lot out of them too. As I have absorbed more of the philosophy over time from continued listening it has shaped how I parent and how I teach, naturally.
  • NikiSC and texasmom33 like this

#16 Targhee

Targhee

Cat Herder Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2438 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:42 PM

A lot of what he says seems, to me, to be completely unnecessary to make the point he is driving at. Again JMO, I know a lot of people here get a lot from his lectures. I just sit there and think, "Just say it already!" I am, however, going to give him another chance. If anyone has a recommendation that they think won't drive me nuts, I am open to suggestions.

That Twain quote is priceless!! 😂

#17 NikiSC

NikiSC

Hive Mind Worker Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:44 AM

This one looks good: https://www.circeins...ssical-teaching.
I attended the GHC in Greenville this past weekend. I spent my days listening to Dr. Perrin, Martin Cothran, Andrew Kern, and Sarah Mackenzie. I wish SWB could have been there, especially for the panel discussion! I wrote pages and pages of notes😊. I'm still yearning for more! I told DH I needed time to process before sharing my thoughts. He looked skeered, lol.
One thing I realized is that perhaps a specific course or formula isn't laid out so that we must seek God and not Andrew Kern. Another thought is that it is an art and to recommend specific curricula or rigid timelines might lead some towards legalism or followers of Kern or Perrin rather than Christ.
I also admire the fact that these men and women are joining forces and working together rather than pushing their materials or methods which is not very common from what I've experienced in the past.
  • Zoo Keeper, cintinative, WoolC and 1 other like this

#18 texasmom33

texasmom33

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4457 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:31 AM

This one looks good: https://www.circeins...ssical-teaching.
I attended the GHC in Greenville this past weekend. I spent my days listening to Dr. Perrin, Martin Cothran, Andrew Kern, and Sarah Mackenzie. I wish SWB could have been there, especially for the panel discussion! I wrote pages and pages of notes😊. I'm still yearning for more! I told DH I needed time to process before sharing my thoughts. He looked skeered, lol.
One thing I realized is that perhaps a specific course or formula isn't laid out so that we must seek God and not Andrew Kern. Another thought is that it is an art and to recommend specific curricula or rigid timelines might lead some towards legalism or followers of Kern or Perrin rather than Christ.
I also admire the fact that these men and women are joining forces and working together rather than pushing their materials or methods which is not very common from what I've experienced in the past.

The panel discussion was my favorite of the conference. They were hilarious! Kern moderated and Andrew Pudewa sat in on it even though he wasn't initially included from the description. It was an hour of cracking up. :) 

I love what you wrote in the bolded above.  :001_wub:

• Woodland Mist Academy, cintinative and NikiSC like this

#19 Mimm

Mimm

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3987 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:04 PM

:lol:

I know what you mean. And I would have agreed with you once. People kept raving about Andrew Kern and I kept just not getting it at all. But I gave him a shot and walked away feeling like I had gotten nothing out of it. Oh well.

But I can see with time that his ideas have influenced my own. It wasn't a bunch of practical tips on how to homeschool the Best Way Ever, but ideas that needed mulling over and meshing with my own.

I'm glad this thread has popped up, I need to listen to more and welcome the suggestions. :)

• WoolC, NikiSC and texasmom33 like this

#20 NikiSC

NikiSC

Hive Mind Worker Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:35 PM

Yes, they were hilarious! There were two panel discussions in Greenville. I went to both, of course😁.
  • texasmom33 likes this

#21 texasmom33

texasmom33

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4457 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:49 PM

Yes, they were hilarious! There were two panel discussions in Greenville. I went to both, of course😁.

Oh I would have too! We only had the one. :( I bought all of the talks though because we missed a couple. We wanted to eat. :blush: Not having a break for lunch is hard! They make my brain work too hard to do it on an empty stomach. 

• Woodland Mist Academy and NikiSC like this

#22 texasmom33

texasmom33

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4457 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:52 PM

I still think Contemplation of Nature is the talk that's hit me the hardest and the fastest. I only listened to it in the last week, so maybe that's why, but wow. I'm reading a ton on classical education though and a bunch of C.S. Lewis to boot, so perhaps it's finally all coalescing in my brain into some sort of vision of Christianity and life that just happens to bleed into school. I find most of it applicable to me as an adult in general, rather than something I want to "do" to my kids. I guess that's the point though.....

• Woodland Mist Academy, WoolC and NikiSC like this

#23 NikiSC

NikiSC

Hive Mind Worker Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:24 PM

I need to listen to the Contemplation of Nature. I started once but realized I needed pen, paper, and quiet to work through that one. I have a bad cold so maybe I'll listen while I recover. Just no cold meds beforehand😂.
  • texasmom33 likes this

#24 cintinative

cintinative

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1351 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:22 PM

The panel discussion was my favorite of the conference. They were hilarious! Kern moderated and Andrew Pudewa sat in on it even though he wasn't initially included from the description. It was an hour of cracking up. :)

I love what you wrote in the bolded above.  :001_wub:

I always love the panel discussions and make sure I get CDs if I miss it.  Andrew Pudewa hasn't been at our conference for a couple years, and the dynamic is different without him. Still funny though.  Last year they had Adam Andrews on it for the first time and it was hilarious how they inducted him.

• NikiSC and texasmom33 like this

#25 texasmom33

texasmom33

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4457 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:14 PM

I need to listen to the Contemplation of Nature. I started once but realized I needed pen, paper, and quiet to work through that one. I have a bad cold so maybe I'll listen while I recover. Just no cold meds beforehand😂.

Honestly I made myself put down the pen and paper the first time through and simply listened. Then I let it "marinate" over night in my brain, as my husband calls it. :) Then the next morning I listened to it again and then took notes. I told Woodland Mist it was like fireworks going off in my brain. I've liked several of his other talks, but none hit me the same way that one did. 

• Woodland Mist Academy and NikiSC like this