Menu

Berean Science in the.... series

I remember seeing a TON of positive reviews when Science in the Beginning came out. Then less than enthused reviews for Science in the Ancient World. And then crickets. :)

Has anyone kept up with this series? I'm intrigued by the idea of a do-able multi-age approach to science. But I'm worried quality dropped after the first book. Or maybe just the oooh shiny! newness.

In specific... Is it DO-able, aka not a ton of prep work. This is what keeps me from BFSU even though I drool over it every Spring.

Is it truly multi age? I'll have two Ks, a 2nd, a 3rd, and two 4ths and while I don't care how much my Kers grasp I'd ideally like them entertained while my 4rths are still learning.

I hear that ancient world jumps around a ton. We've done the traditional wtm "once science per year" so far and honestly, I'm ready for some change, but is it so bad that it comes off as disjointed and random?

I've used the first two books and am using the third right now, teaching it as a class at a small classical school, with homeschoolers invited to join in with us. I feel the quality and style has stayed the same throughout. It's definitely Jay Wile-ish.

Most experiments are easy to do with materials around the house and don't take a lot of prep work in general. I do modify some of them to fit better with my materials or a different experiment that I'm familiar with that I feel would be clearer.

For me, the multi-age treatment has worked. The first two years, I did the class with K through 5th graders. This year, we have it broken up into K–3 and 4–6, which allows for a deeper discussion with the older group. The younger / older / oldest review questions help to point out what each level might be comfortable with.

One might say that it jumps around a lot, because instead of focusing on a specific area of science, it follows the paths of natural philosophers through history, linked with the particular concepts that each one was studying. I hang the concepts on the hooks of the history, rather than the specific science types (which have overlap anyway). I do like how the books revisit certain topics at later points in history—the scientific revolution book discussed Galileo and his telescope. We are now on Huygens and how he improved on the telescope and was able to discern that Saturn had rings instead of what Galileo described as "ears", and extends to what we can tell with our telescopes today. 

The school will likely purchase the Age of Reason set, to use as a four-year rotating series. I've been pleased with it and likely would have used it with my teens when they were younger if the series had existed, over what we did from TWTM second edition recommendations.

Hope that dispels some of the crickets... :)

Erica in OR

• Like 5

I've asked on here a few times about science and from the replies I got, I was comfortable enough to purchase Science in the Ancient World for our next year. We are finishing up Science in the Beginning this year and we like it a lot!

Can you link any of those threads? I've done searches but can't find any that dhscuss it.

Can you link any of those threads? I've done searches but can't find any that dhscuss it.

I usually do a site search through Google rather than using the forum's search box.

The search below brings up multiple threads.

berean science site:forums.welltrainedmind.com

Erica in OR

I am doing it this year with my 3rd and 5th grader.   I read aloud to them, and for about every page or page and a half or reading, there is an experiment/demonstration to go with the reading.   I almost

always have on hand the things needed, and rarely have to prepare much ahead or time.   It is perfect for what I need as a homeschooling mom.    We are about halfway through.   I do think my older one will need more "meat" next year.   I wish I had started a year earlier.

• Like 2