Menu

Cooking course?

I'm looking for a semi or mostly independent cooking class for a 10 year old cooking/baking enthusiast.  She's dyslexic, so reading and writing are not her preferred way to learn, so video components would be great.  Right now, she's baking 95% independently in the kitchen, but really only makes cookies, occasionally a cake or muffin.  So she's not an absolute beginner by any means, I'd love to broaden her range and introduce her to new things (hello healthy food!), but I neither have time nor do I she and work well together lol.  I save my patience for reading, writing and math lol!  If it had nutritional information, healthy eating etc, that would be even better. 

I've looked at the home economics course by CLE, but I have some concerns about conservative Christian content (especially around gender roles) as well, it's very print based.  But I love their thorough, incremental approach.  I'm willing to tweak things for content I'm not comfortable (we're secular) but I'm wondering what else is out there.  Everything I find seems to be written for very little kids (for example, teaching five year olds to slice a banana) or high school courses for teenagers.

Any suggestions?

My ILs purchased a video class on Mediterranean cooking for my husband and I when they learned that we were transitioning to eating more in that style. You might want to take a look there and see what they have. I'd check your local library as well, since the libraries near me carry quite a few items from their catalog (although none of the cooking classes as far as I'm aware). You never know what you can find.

Edited by aprilleigh
  • Like 1

Anyone Can Cook DVD Edition: Step-by-Step Recipes Just for You (Better Homes and Gardens Cooking): Better Homes and Gardens: 9780470500675: Amazon.com: Books

Anyone Can Bake: Step-By-Step Recipes Just for You (Better Homes and Gardens Cooking): Better Homes and Gardens: 9780470500590: Amazon.com: Books

My dd LOVED these. Although they are print, they come with dvds I think and with step by step pictures for the recipes. So if you want to make, say, hummus, all the steps will be shown. She can learn a lot just by looking at the pictures! :)

My dd was about that age when she got these and she STILL uses them and loves them.

• Like 1

I just talked to someone who orders Blue Apron, or some other service like it, and then basically turns that into a cooking class. They complete the recipes together and I think there are some online videos of how to do certain things. It doesn't include baking and you said she is dyslexic, but I don't think there is too much reading in the instructions and then she could watch the online video component. I thought it sounded fun. And fairly simple and you get a pretty decent meal out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1