Menu

Wilson Hill Academy Great Conversation classes--Questions

First, I am looking for reviews. 

Has anyone put their child in the Great Conversation I and II in 7th and 8th and what are your opinions on those as far as difficulty, appropriate level of work for the age, etc.?

Also, I am concerned because I have read on this boards about ethical concerns with the Omnibus texts. I see that they are "optional" for these courses. If anyone has taken these, can you comment on that? Can we get away with not purchasing them?  

If you passed on these classes, what option excited you more and where?

Thanks in advance for any input. 

My dd hasn't needed the Omni textbook a single time in GC2.  You can most definitely get away with not purchasing them and you won't miss anything.  I think the teachers have done a good job of taking hard texts (particularly the ancient texts can be harder for younger students) and making them accessible to logic stage students.  The primary source texts rotate with easier modern books that relate thematically.  This gives the students a break from the harder work so it is like interval training. 

• Like 1

My 14 year old is in GC1+4 this year. She's thoroughly enjoyed the class. With that being said, we're switching to MFW for next year (which she wants to do) because I feel that the reading has been above her true abilities. It's hard stuff. The lectures have been GREAT, but I'm afraid they've also showed her that she could get an A in the class without actually reading the book...grrrr.

My 14 year old is in GC1+4 this year. She's thoroughly enjoyed the class. With that being said, we're switching to MFW for next year (which she wants to do) because I feel that the reading has been above her true abilities. It's hard stuff. The lectures have been GREAT, but I'm afraid they've also showed her that she could get an A in the class without actually reading the book...grrrr.

Wow. That's interesting. So she could get an A because the lectures covered everything she needed to know?  There was no output required from her to show she had read the book(s)? 

For GC 2 they have to give a self report of how well they prepared the reading and discussion questions for class two times a week on a scale of 1 to 10. I think some weeks are busy and it is hard to read everything and some weeks the student is tempted to shortchange the reading but this does keep accountability high.

• Like 1

Wow. That's interesting. So she could get an A because the lectures covered everything she needed to know?  There was no output required from her to show she had read the book(s)? 

They have discussion questions all the time, and a couple different papers. My daughter has read lots, but not everything. She has an A in the class and I KNOW, for a fact, that she hasn't read everything. So yeah, I don't think the quizzes, discussion board entries, or essays, have proven that she's read everything. But, as I said, the lectures are awesome. 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

My DD is taking Great Conversations I with Rayna Bailey this schoolyear.  It is her favorite class!  My DD is in the 8th grade and is on the older side of 8th grade.  I would consider her an average to above average student but not the genius kid :-)  Frankly, I am totally impressed with how Dr. Bailey has made even the hardest books accessible to younger students.  My daughter is challenged by the more difficult texts but the handholding (excellent lectures, videos shown prior to reading certain books, extensive class discussion of the themes) has made her confident in tackling them. And, as another poster pointed out, the tough books are interspersed with easier ones. 

A few other points;

*  Does your logic level student get interested and engaged in themes about what is truth?  what is goodness?  comparing a pagan hero's quality traits to that of a Biblical hero?  I think most average kids could read and understand the text and themes well enough to get a lot out of the class.  I'm not sure every (or even most) 7th graders would be fascinated by these themes.  My 8th grade daughter finds this sort of discussion exciting, but that's kind of her thing too.

*   The kids are not expected to write well developed essays at this point.  The kids are expected to be able to answer opinion questions with 2 or 3 solid paragraphs with a theme sentence and supporting sentences.  The assumption is that the students are taking another class concurrently that would cover writing.  The GCI class focuses on the books and the themes.

*   Given the above, Dr. Bailey carefully explained the grading rubric for writing and periodically reminds the students about paragraphs / theme sentences.

* Not having a heavy writing requirement was an important consideration to me because her writing classes at Well Trained Mind Academy require plenty of time and effort.  I can't imagine my DD having another demanding writing class on top of Expository Writing III at WTMA. 

When I asked my DD if she wanted to take GC2 next year, she answered me with a resounding "Yes!"  I registered her for the class this week and we are planning to continue the Great Conversation classes at least through GC3.  After that point, we'll have to consider whether to continue with the series or take separate history and lit classes (another discussion).

I hope this was helpful?  I would be happy to answer any specific questions about the course or the teacher. 

• Like 3

Thank you so much! After a lot of prayer and talking to Mr. Lawrence, another parent, and boardies on here, I decided to sign my ds up for the GC1 class with Mr. Lawrence (we couldn't do M/W). My son will be in 7th but he will be an older 7th grader (turning 13 in Sept.) so I hope it will work out.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 2/17/2018 at 8:48 AM, cintinative said:

Thank you so much! After a lot of prayer and talking to Mr. Lawrence, another parent, and boardies on here, I decided to sign my ds up for the GC1 class with Mr. Lawrence (we couldn't do M/W). My son will be in 7th but he will be an older 7th grader (turning 13 in Sept.) so I hope it will work out.

How is Mr. Lawrence as a teacher of TGC1?  How is the class going for your son?  My son is in 6th grade this year and I am trying to determine if he should do TGC1 next year and which teacher would be best.  My son loves history and has completed all the online, self-paced Veritas Press history classes.  My daughter started TGC1+4 in 9th grade and wishes she had started in 7th.  I'm just not sure if the books will be too advanced for him or if it's the push he needs.  

Edited by lbell
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, ByGrace3 said:

Any suggestions on where to start a 9th grader who is new to the GC classes? 

I have two friends that have started this year with TGC3 and are really happy with that choice.  They hope they can do TGC1+4 next year.  My daughter started with TGC1+4 in 9th grade.  She loves ancient history and wanted to start there.  She did TGC5 in 10th and is doing TGC3 this year in 11th because she did not have any foundation in American History and I didn't want her to miss the fabulous literature.   

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, lbell said:

I have two friends that have started this year with TGC3 and are really happy with that choice.  They hope they can do TGC1+4 next year.  My daughter started with TGC1+4 in 9th grade.  She loves ancient history and wanted to start there.  She did TGC5 in 10th and is doing TGC3 this year in 11th because she did not have any foundation in American History and I didn't want her to miss the fabulous literature.   

Thank you. I keep going back and forth between TGC 3 and TGC 1+4. I thought TGC 3 might be an easier transition content wise, but we will be going to Greece and Italy this summer so it would be a good time to circle around to Ancients as interest will be high. 

1 hour ago, ByGrace3 said:

Any suggestions on where to start a 9th grader who is new to the GC classes? 

My current 8th grader will jump in with GC 3 next year, if at all possible. Hopefully with Bruce Etter. We have been light on modern history and GC 3 will be helpful there.

If Ancients fits better with your travel plans, I'd do 4+1. The experiential overlap is too good to ignore! Greece, so cool!

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, lbell said:

How is Mr. Lawrence as a teacher of TGC1?  How is the class going for your son?  My son is in 6th grade this year and I am trying to determine if he should do TGC1 next year and which teacher would be best.  My son loves history and has completed all the online, self-paced Veritas Press history classes.  My daughter started TGC1+4 in 9th grade and wishes she had started in 7th.  I'm just not sure if the books will be too advanced for him or if it's the push he needs.  

Sent you a PM

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/17/2018 at 12:52 AM, Haelend4 said:

*  Does your logic level student get interested and engaged in themes about what is truth?  what is goodness?  comparing a pagan hero's quality traits to that of a Biblical hero?  I think most average kids could read and understand the text and themes well enough to get a lot out of the class.  I'm not sure every (or even most) 7th graders would be fascinated by these themes.  My 8th grade daughter finds this sort of discussion exciting, but that's kind of her thing too.

We are in November, so about eight weeks in, and I just wanted to tell you that this is an astute observation. What I am finding is that my child is able to read the material but is missing some of the themes and not truly enjoying it. I think it is a maturity thing. 

So for me this sort of throws our trajectory into question.  If we switch to a local university model instead of WHA for next year or later, then he will cover many of these books again that he is covering in GC1 again in 10th grade. The question is--is that a bad thing if he is not totally grasping them this time around? 

I really am feeling that I have made a mistake here. I mean--he is learning how to navigate an online class, he is keeping up with the homework, and has done okay with the assignments, so that has value, but I keep thinking that maybe the UM's plan of covering these in 10th was a better call for this kid.  UGH. I hate self-doubt. 

• Like 2