Menu

Book a Week 2017 - BW11: Happy St. Patrick's Week

Robin M

Welcome to week 11 in our quest to read 52 books. Welcome and thank you to all our readers, to those just joining in and all who are following our progress.  Mr. Linky is all set up on the 52 Books blog to link to your reviews. 

52 Books Blog - Happy St. Patrick's Week:  We'll be celebrating St. Patrick's day all week long and instead of loading your wishlists down with more books, your mission is to find a book on your shelves that has a green cover or has green in the title. Sláinte!!!

The Wearin' O' the Green

Today is the day fer the wearin' o' the green.

Today is the day when the little people are seen.

Today is St. Patrick's Day, so if ye'r Irish me lad,

Join the celebratin' fer the grandest time ta' be had.

Ya' put yer hand up in the air, the other hand on your hip.

Ya' tap yer toe, ya' tap yer heel, ya' bounce yer knee a wee bit.

Ya' prance 'n dance around the room, n' circle one two three.

The saints be praised, I must admit, ya' all look Irish ta' me.

The Story of Western Science - Chapter 7 

What are you reading this week?

Link to week 10 

• Like 17

Reposting ~

A one day only currently free book for Kindle readers ~

The Exploits of Elaine by Arthur B. Reeve

"The scientific detective known as the “American Sherlock Holmes†pursues a ruthless arch villain in this high-stakes suspense novel

Professor Craig Kennedy and his loyal sidekick, newspaper reporter Walter Jameson, first learn of the Clutching Hand and his gang when they investigate a string of murders involving the policyholders of Taylor Dodge’s insurance company. After receiving a threatening note signed by the arch criminal, Dodge himself is robbed and killed, and his daughter, Elaine, turns to Kennedy for help. Using the latest advances in forensic science, the professor uncovers the exotic and deadly scheme behind the murders. But when the Clutching Hand and his band of evildoers kidnap Elaine, Kennedy must shed his lab coat and leap into action before it’s too late.

First appearing in the pages of Cosmopolitan magazine, Craig Kennedy was one of the most popular detectives of the early twentieth century. Arthur B. Reeve also wrote the screenplay for the serial version of The Exploits of Elaine, which starred popular silent film actress Pearl White."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 10

:seeya: Robin and all the wonderful BAWers. 

I read Hunting and Gathering - 2 Stars - It was an okay read and more like a beach read: sweet, fun, and romantic. Towards the end, it simply moved far too slowly for me. I keep hearing how the movie is far better. I don’t think that I’ll be able to see that anytime soon. All in all, this wasn’t as good as I had hoped it would be. Maybe I just wasn’t in the right mood.

One of my favorite quotes:

“Our certainties never really hold water. One day you feel like dying and the next you realize all you had to do was go down a few stairs to find the light switch so you could see things a bit more clearly.â€

9781594481444.jpg

MY RATING SYSTEM

5 Stars

Fantastic, couldn't put it down

4 Stars

Really Good

3 Stars

Enjoyable

2 Stars

Just Okay – nothing to write home about

1 Star

Rubbish – waste of my money and time. Few books make it to this level, since I usually give up on them if they’re that bad.

• Like 19

Happily reading Anne Bishop's Etched in Bone.

I am unplugging until the end of the month.  Amy and Jane have graciously offered to moderate in my absence and take care of posting the threads for the next two weeks.  

:auto:

• Like 20

Best wishes, Robin, during your unplugged time!

I've recently finished a couple of books ~

Can't Help Falling: A Novel  by Kara Isaac

I recently read a different book by this author, Close to You, which had a Lord of the Rings connection; this book has a Narnia connection.  Both books have some inspirational content, but I would say that this book has more. It was an enjoyable read, but I don't think I'll necessarily re-read it.

"A funny, heartfelt romance about how an antique shop, a wardrobe, and a mysterious tea cup bring two C.S. Lewis fans together in a snowy and picturesque Oxford, England.

Emelia Mason has spent her career finding the dirt on the rich and famous. But deep down past this fearless tabloid-reporter façade, there’s a nerdy Narnia-obsessed girl who still can’t resist climbing into wardrobes to check for the magical land on the other side. When a story she writes produces tragic results, she flees to Oxford, England—home to C.S. Lewis—to try and make amends for the damage she has caused.

Peter Carlisle was on his way to become one of Great Britain’s best rowers—until he injured his shoulder and lost his chance at glory. He’s determined to fight his way back to the top even if it means risking permanent disability to do so. It’s the only way he can find his way past failing the one person who never stopped believing in his Olympic dream.

When Peter and Emelia cross paths on her first night in Oxford, the attraction is instant and they find common ground in their shared love of Narnia. But can the lessons from a fantasyland be enough to hold them together when secrets of the real world threaten to tear them apart? Cobblestone streets, an aristocratic estate, and an antique shop with curious a wardrobe bring the world of Narnia to life in Kara Isaac’s inspiring and romantic story about second chances."

And Silver Scars  by Posy Roberts

This was a romance featuring two men both of whom had suffered life changing injuries.  I enjoyed it.  (Significant adult content)

"A bomb destroyed high-powered lawyer Gil Lemieux’s seemingly perfect life, and PTSD has ruled every decision since the explosion that left him scarred inside and outside. Moving home with his mom is meant to be a temporary measure, just like proofreading for a medical editorial firm is meant to be a stopgap. But two years after taking on the wrong court case, he’s still living in fear.

Keith Kramer might be based 1,500 miles away from Gil, but their shared work brings them together—a chance meeting that’s life-changing. Gil is drawn to Keith’s good looks and intelligence, but it’s his innate understanding that Gil is more than the scars on his skin that is truly attractive. He’s everything Gil used to be and more. It blows Gil’s mind that his attraction might be returned.

Only doubt could widen the distance between them. Keith’s hopefulness, borne out of surviving some tough challenges of his own, isn’t enough to bridge the distance alone. Gil will need to believe he has as much to offer as Keith if they’re to build a life together."

Regards,
Kareni
  • Like 13

Sending Robin best wishes during her BaW break.

I have started what is so far a very satisfying mystery on the Soho imprint:  The Coroner's Lunch by Colin Cotterill.  Soho mysteries offer interesting settings as is the case with this book set in 1970's Laos after the Communist Pathet Lao have assumed power.

We saw some snow today!  This is a very rare event in my coastal environment.  My husband and I were amused to see pollen puddles covered with a light snow/ice dusting. Not that the snow hung around for long!

• Like 18

I just finished Silence Fallen the new Mercy Thompson. It was great! The main characters all take a road trip to Europe. OK, there was much more to the book than that but I enjoyed the way the setting change simplified this one.

I have no idea what I am going to read next in paper. A huge stack is sitting beside me. I need to catch up in From Beast to Beauty.

On the Kindle I am reading something that a couple of people have read before me and really enjoyed. The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/26722820-the-curious-charms-of-arthur-pepper is a lovely story so far. Sweet and Sentimental with just enough reality. A widowed gentleman discovers an unusual charm bracelet when preparing to donate his wife's belongings to charity. One charm has a phone number on it and he calls.....thus his adventures began.... I will fully admit I started reading this for an Aquamarine A. Once again I have been pleasantly surprised.

• Like 17

Finished This Week (reviews linked) - Books 24-26

• Odd Thomas by Koontz - I was glad I had a box of tissues handy by the end of the book. 4 stars
  • The Hammer of Thor by Riordan - It was fun to see Magnus tackle another adventure after having some training under his belt.  4 stars
  • Marked in Flesh by Bishop - My final Others reread, 5 stars.

Long term reads:

• ESV Bible - finished Joshua and began Judges
  • History of the Ancient World - finished chapters 19 and 20
  • From the Beast to the Blonde by Warner - I went ahead and read three chapters this week (#2-4) since they were all related to gossips. 

Current reads (always subject to change on a whim) -

• Audiobook: The Hidden Oracle by Riordan - I didn't get to start last week with my parents visiting, but will definitely work on it this coming week.
  • Fiction books:
    • The Invisible Library by Cogman - This has been on my list for about a month now, and I finally started reading it on Saturday.  I'm only a few chapters into the book, but so far it seems promising.
    • Naked in Death by Robb - I haven't read this series before, but I'm looking forward to giving it a try now that I finally got a copy from Overdrive.
    • Etched in Bone by Bishop - OK, it's still listed as in processing, but I have high hopes of actually getting my hands on the book to read at some point this week.
  • Nonfiction book:  Spark: the revolutionary new science of exercise and the brain by Ratey - Still slowly making progress.  Hopefully, I'll finish this one up by midweek.

• Like 17

Enjoy your break Robin!

I finished Hard Country by Michael McGarrity on audio this week. It was a pleasant enough diversion. It is a Western, set in west Texas and southern New Mexico mostly in the late 1800s, and it is one of those sweeping, multi-generational stories. Nothing much happens other than following some fairly well drawn out characters as they deal with a hard way of life in a tough part of the country, and as they, like Forrest Gump, just happen to take part in historic events with famous historic people like Teddy Roosevelt and Billy the Kid.

Started Invisible Library, though haven't gotten very far. I've not had the brain cells for reading print books recently as I've been losing the battle in the fight against the coughing crud so many people have. Actually played a gig Friday night -- a ballet -- and just as the lights dimmed and it was time to start playing, a coughing fit hit!! Got some antibiotics at urgent care yesterday, and hope to make it through the matinee in a few hours without any major fits. :nopity:  Good thing I play a string instrument and don't have to use my lungs to make music!!

• Like 17

I have started what is so far a very satisfying mystery on the Soho imprint: The Coroner's Lunch by Colin Cotterill. Soho mysteries offer interesting settings as is the case with this book set in 1970's Laos after the Communist Pathet Lao have assumed power.

We saw some snow today! This is a very rare event in my coastal environment. My husband and I were amused to see pollen puddles covered with a light snow/ice dusting. Not that the snow hung around for long!

I'm happy to hear your enjoying the Coroner's Lunch. I loved it! I've recommended it to a bunch of people but I think your the first to actually read it.

• Like 11

I have started what is so far a very satisfying mystery on the Soho imprint: The Coroner's Lunch by Colin Cotterill. Soho mysteries offer interesting settings as is the case with this book set in 1970's Laos after the Communist Pathet Lao have assumed power.

We saw some snow today! This is a very rare event in my coastal environment. My husband and I were amused to see pollen puddles covered with a light snow/ice dusting. Not that the snow hung around for long!

I'm happy to hear your enjoying the Coroner's Lunch. I loved it! I've recommended it to a bunch of people but I think your the first to actually read it.

• Like 6

I finished book 2 of the Cairo Triology by Naguib Mahfouz.

I liked it better then book 1, but got intimidated by what the translator and recensists think I 'should' read in / get out of the books. I just don't see it ..... :blush:

Up to book 3.

Then I will review all of them :)

• Like 13

Fiction books:

• The Invisible Library by Cogman - This has been on my list for about a month now, and I finally started reading it on Saturday.  I'm only a few chapters into the book, but so far it seems promising.
  • Naked in Death by Robb - I haven't read this series before, but I'm looking forward to giving it a try now that I finally got a copy from Overdrive.
  • Etched in Bone by Bishop - OK, it's still listed as in processing, but I have high hopes of actually getting my hands on the book to read at some point this week.

[*]Nonfiction book:  Spark: the revolutionary new science of exercise and the brain by Ratey - Still slowly making progress.  Hopefully, I'll finish this one up by midweek.

It took me a few books to really love the In Death series because they were just Nora Robert's other series. It is definitely a series that is all about the characters. Read in order they are great. I think I may have even missed a couple and still love them! :) I hate to admit it but I can't remember the first one in the series at all......maybe I need a reread at some point!

It is amazing how long it can take books to be processed some times.

Enjoy your break Robin!

I finished Hard Country by Michael McGarrity on audio this week. It was a pleasant enough diversion. It is a Western, set in west Texas and southern New Mexico mostly in the late 1800s, and it is one of those sweeping, multi-generational stories. Nothing much happens other than following some fairly well drawn out characters as they deal with a hard way of life in a tough part of the country, and as they, like Forrest Gump, just happen to take part in historic events with famous historic people like Teddy Roosevelt and Billy the Kid.

Started Invisible Library, though haven't gotten very far. I've not had the brain cells for reading print books recently as I've been losing the battle in the fight against the coughing crud so many people have. Actually played a gig Friday night -- a ballet -- and just as the lights dimmed and it was time to start playing, a coughing fit hit!! Got some antibiotics at urgent care yesterday, and hope to make it through the matinee in a few hours without any major fits. :nopity:  Good thing I play a string instrument and don't have to use my lungs to make music!!

:grouphug: I hope the antibiotics kick in soon. The colds this year have been terrible. They seem to be turning into something worse all too often.

Btw, I really love The Invisible Library series. I am anxiously awaiting the third one which I have on hold.

Robin, I hope you have a lovely time on your board break!

• Like 10

I finished the audio edition of Infidel (Book 7 for me) which was read by the author.  I found it gripping, moving, provoking!  I also finished Plastic Free; How I Kicked the Plastic Habit and How You Can Too.   This is my abiding interest right now.  I don't recommend getting it on the kindle, though, because it is so much of a reference/how to book.  (Book 8)

Now I'm on to Laurus which is so engrossing!  A medieval fairy tale epic that creates a world all of its own.  I am about 1/4 or more in and loving it.  I also started listening to Agatha Christie's One, Two Buckle My Shoe on audio (a Hercule Poirot mystery).   Hugh Fraser reads it to perfection!  This will fulfill the mystery square in the bingo game.

Speaking of which, I have a technical question about the 'debut author' square.  If I read a 2nd edition of an author's first (and I think only book so far! I am referring to the above mentioned Plastic Free book) does that count as debut?

• Like 13

I finished the audio edition of Infidel (Book 7 for me) which was read by the author.  I found it gripping, moving, provoking!  I also finished Plastic Free; How I Kicked the Plastic Habit and How You Can Too.   This is my abiding interest right now.  I don't recommend getting it on the kindle, though, because it is so much of a reference/how to book.  (Book 8)

Now I'm on to Laurus which is so engrossing!  A medieval fairy tale epic that creates a world all of its own.  I am about 1/4 or more in and loving it.  I also started listening to Agatha Christie's One, Two Buckle My Shoe on audio (a Hercule Poirot mystery).   Hugh Fraser reads it to perfection!  This will fulfill the mystery square in the bingo game.

Speaking of which, I have a technical question about the 'debut author' square.  If I read a 2nd edition of an author's first (and I think only book so far! I am referring to the above mentioned Plastic Free book) does that count as debut?

With Robin on break, I'll jump in and pretend to have answers to technical questions.

My vote would be that yes a 2nd edition of an author's debut book is still a debut.  Sometimes second editions have some additional material but it seems to me that a debut is a debut.

I enjoyed looking at your blog, Faithr. For those who are unaware, Faithr is attempting to reduce/eliminate plastic in her life.  As an environmentalist, I have been through various exercises to minimize--some with more success than others.  Not every solution works for everyone, of course, but conversation is a good thing.

• Like 12

I just posted at the same time as Jane. Sorry

I finally settled on a new book Sanibel Flats by Randy Wayne White. I've made it through a couple of chapters and am finding it intriguing. I lived in the area for part of my childhood and google and I are having a great deal of fun locating all the little islands he mentions. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/93812.Sanibel_Flats. It's the first in another really long series.....

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 10

I enjoyed looking at your blog, Faithr. For those who are unaware, Faithr is attempting to reduce/eliminate plastic in her life.  As an environmentalist, I have been through various exercises to minimize--some with more success than others.  Not every solution works for everyone, of course, but conversation is a good thing.

I thought Robin had clarified that for the Bingo square, the debut had to be recent - 2016 or 2017?  So unless the 2nd edition came out really really fast....?

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 10

I thought Robin had clarified that for the Bingo square, the debut had to be recent - 2016 or 2017?  So unless the 2nd edition came out really really fast....?

Oops.  I am not a bingo player so I should have held off in responding.  Perhaps bingo questions should be deferred until April.

Thanks Matryoshka for paying attention!

• Like 9

Happily reading Anne Bishop's Etched in Bone.

I am unplugging until the end of the month.  Amy and Jane have graciously offered to moderate in my absence and take care of posting the threads for the next two weeks.  

:auto:

Enjoy your time off Robin! Thanks for filling in Any and Jane.

I started The Invisible Library this week as well. Hope the antibiotics work, and you feel better soon. :grouphug:
  • Like 9

This week I finished Born A Crime, which I thoroughly enjoyed. Then I struggled to get into anything else. I did finish The Lost Kingdom, but did not share DS's enthusiasm for it. The characters were flat and the plot was predictable. We finally finished the Treasure Island audiobook and started listening to The Mysterious Howling. It's the first in the Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place series which someone mentioned on a different thread. It's fun! Made small bits of progress on The Story of Science, From the Beast to the Blonde, and Experiencing Broadway Music.  Not my most productive week.

• Like 14

Oops.  I am not a bingo player so I should have held off in responding.  Perhaps bingo questions should be deferred until April.

Thanks Matryoshka for paying attention!

No probs. :)

Here, I looked it up, and Robin did clarify on the Bingo page:

Clarifications:

• There isn't a category for play this year so no plays. 
  • Children and Young adult books are iffy and depend on if they have substance.  The young adult novels today are like the regular adult novels of the 70's.  Yes Harry Potter counts.  Use your best judgement.  
  • Finance – Can be fiction or non fiction 
  • Western - As in cowboys, outlaws, lawmen and indians up through the 1900's. Can be fiction or non fiction and from any country and just not U.S. related.  
  • Debut author – Author’s debut from 2016 or 2017 
  • Outer space books --  space as in outer space, not of this planet, no air.  Space beyond the atmosphere of earth. Can include climbing in a rocket and leaving our world or life on another planet or alien worlds. 
  • Like 10

No probs. :)

Here, I looked it up, and Robin did clarify on the Bingo page:

Clarifications:

• There isn't a category for play this year so no plays. 
  • Children and Young adult books are iffy and depend on if they have substance.  The young adult novels today are like the regular adult novels of the 70's.  Yes Harry Potter counts.  Use your best judgement.  
  • Finance – Can be fiction or non fiction 
  • Western - As in cowboys, outlaws, lawmen and indians up through the 1900's. Can be fiction or non fiction and from any country and just not U.S. related.  
  • Debut author – Author’s debut from 2016 or 2017 
  • Outer space books --  space as in outer space, not of this planet, no air.  Space beyond the atmosphere of earth. Can include climbing in a rocket and leaving our world or life on another planet or alien worlds. 

Thanks again.

This is probably a good time to promote a fictional finance book, Terry Pratchett's wonderful Making Money.  I loved Moist von Lipwig (conman turned civil servant) in Going Postal as well as the novel Making Money. Note to self:  read Raising Steam.

• Like 8

What are you reading this week?

Currently, I am reading Upstairs at the White House by JB West.  I've read the sections on the Roosevelts and Trumans.  Of course I totally enjoyed the section on the Trumans immensely because of the weird love I have for Harry.  That section gave me an increased appreciation of Bess.

On the Kindle I am reading something that a couple of people have read before me and really enjoyed. The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/26722820-the-curious-charms-of-arthur-pepper is a lovely story so far. Sweet and Sentimental with just enough reality. A widowed gentleman discovers an unusual charm bracelet when preparing to donate his wife's belongings to charity. One charm has a phone number on it and he calls.....thus his adventures began.... I will fully admit I started reading this for an Aquamarine A. Once again I have been pleasantly surprised.

I read that one a couple months before it came out (NetGalley).  It was cute!  Really a sweet book.

This is probably a good time to promote a fictional finance book, Terry Pratchett's wonderful Making Money.  I loved Moist von Lipwig (conman turned civil servant) in Going Postal as well as the novel Making Money. Note to self:  read Raising Steam.

Oh, man.  My husband convinced me to read Making Money once.  Let's just say I did not even remotely enjoy it as much as he did...

• Like 11

I finished 3 books this week, but somehow I was a bit cranky.  I think it was waiting aaaallllll that time (like over a month because of shipping problems) for Laberinto de los espíritus, which then I found I had to put aside even longer once i got it to reread the volume just before it, which also made me put that book in front of the ebook I already had checked out which then almost expired before I got to it (it's on my phone, turning off wifi won't help... :( ), and there's lots of other books I want to read in March and how is it already the 12th...  And now I've started a bunch of other books at once.  What am I doing???   :willy_nilly:

To sum up... ;)

26. Autobiography of Malcolm X (as told to Alex Haley)   I actually found this quite interesting, just wish I didn't have to sling most of it down in 2 days, which is not the book's fault....  4 stars.

25. El laberinto de los espíritus/Labyrinth of the Spirits.  Honestly, too long.  Didn't give a ton of new information on the mysteries in the story but added completely new characters who learned what we already knew and added just a bit more info (in 900 pages!).  Literally didn't get to the cliffhanger at the end of book 3 till almost the end of book 4!  I might be more magnanimous if I hadn't been waiting so long to read it, lol.  Also a bit more evil fascist torture than I needed. I am glad I read it and finished up the series.  Rather relieved there isn't a book 5 coming. ;). 3 stars.

24. Cranford.  (on audio) Happy Flufferton.  Nothing happens, tea and gossip.  Lovely. 4 stars.

Today I've started a few books (having an ADD morning, I guess...).

- Radiance - recommended by someone here, my IRL SciFi group picked this, so needed to get started.  So far it's extremely trippy.  I'm having a feeling by the end I'll have no idea what ride I was on, but it might be fun anyway...

- Romantic Outlaws - my new ebook, a dual biography of Mary Wollstonecraft and Mary Shelley.  Read the intro so far; looks promising.  Planning to do with this what I normally plan for ebooks, which is read them in a leisurely fashion when I'm somewhere without a book (instead of slinging them down like I had to the last two :glare: ).

- Exiles of Erin, 19th Century Irish-American Fiction - this is an anthology of shorter works.  As it is St. Pat's week, thought I'd get started and just read a story here and there and hope to finish up by the end of March or so...  Today I've read the intro and the first story.

Was already reading:

- From Beast to Blonde - didn't get to this last week, but hope to read 4 chapters this week (they're short) and catch up to the read-a-long.

- Utopia - audiobook.  Thought I'd get this polished off on a long car ride to drop dd16 at camp, but dh took her... it's short, though, so should still be able to finish up this week.  Trevor Noah's Born a Crime is up next on audio, since so many have highly recommended it. :)  Overdrive had a long waiting list, but I was able to get it from the library on MP3 on CD.  Spent some more time this morning figuring out how in the heck to load MP3s from a CD onto my phone.  Now I feel like a crotchety old lady.  Where's my cane?  LOL.  It's okay, I finally figured it out...  Yay me.

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 16

I'm about half way through Huck Out West by Robert Coover. The book follows A grown up Huckleberry Finn through all sorts of misadventures in the wild west. He crosses paths with many a famous historic westerner and gets himself in a heap of trouble time and again. He is still the Huckleberry who secretly harbors a true nonconformist's mind and avoids hurting others, if he can help it. On the other hand, he's at home with the rough and violent life of the west, hard riding, hard drinking, fast shooting, and fast talking. He spent time with the Pony Express, on a wagon train, on a cattle drive, with Custer's army, and with a Lakota indian tribe. The author tries to use Twain's tone of mild sarcasm and mildly succeeds. There is only one Twain. The story also reminds me somewhat of Little Big Man, which I read a couple of years ago.

• Like 15

With Robin on break, I'll jump in and pretend to have answers to technical questions.

My vote would be that yes a 2nd edition of an author's debut book is still a debut.  Sometimes second editions have some additional material but it seems to me that a debut is a debut.

Thanks, Jane for the plug on trying to go plastic free!  

Aw shucks.  I can't tell when the 2nd edition came out, so I guess I'll have to follow the clarified bingo rules. 

• Like 11

Another week of not much reading, but I did finish Terry Pratchett's The Shepherd's Crown, the last Tiffany Aching book and enjoyed it. It was perfect for my limited attention span and reading time. Up next is our book club's April pick, Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter. And The Little Book of Hygge is waiting for me at the library. The school musical is over, soccer is almost over, still some paperwork to do for disabled dd (birthday month you get to update a bunch of stuff for medicaid and legal guardianship), a math final to study for, and a standardized test on students' civil rights to prep for. But there is light at the end of the tunnel now--spring break in just two more weeks!

• Like 15

I have been dreading the book on finance in the bingo challenge.  It just isn't what I read at all.  In fact, my eyes glaze over just thinking about it.  But looking around trying to find something somewhat engaging, I stumbled on this one:  The Richest Man in Babylon by George S. Clason.  Apparently it is a classic.  It sounds like it might do the trick for me.

• Like 12

Lovin' the updates and reviews.

I finished Spark!  Yay. A couple of the chapters were difficult (read boring) to read simply because by chapter 5 nothing was different - exercise makes everything better. As someone with an academic background in experimental psych with a side interest in neuro, I found the book to be pretty good. It was definitely worth the read and I like his recommendations toward the end. I took over 10 pages of notes and have a few research articles to read. I'm going to use some of the cited studies for parts of my stats class.

--

I am moving on to a book my DS asked me to read over Christmas Break, Dead Space Martyr by B.K. Evenson. All I know is that the book is based on a video game about which I know nothing. It's not a genre I would usually read but some of DS's  previous recommendations have been quite entertaining so I'm going to give it a try.

• Like 15

Currently free to Kindle readers ~

a memoir: My Grape Escape: (The Grape Series #3)  by Laura Bradbury

"A twenty-six year old newlywed on the path to a prestigious legal career in London buys a decrepit, revolutionary-era ruin in the tiny Burgundian village of Magny-les-Villers. Was that split-second, life-altering decision profoundly wise or utterly insane? Find out in My Grape Escape – a story for anyone who's imagined taking a U-Turn in life to seize their joy.

historical fantasy: Burning Bright (The Extraordinaries Book 1) by Melissa McShane

"In 1812, Elinor Pembroke wakes to find her bedchamber in flames—and extinguishes them with a thought. At 21, she is old to manifest magical talent, but the evidence is unmistakable: she not only has the ability to start fires, but the far more powerful ability to control and extinguish them. She is an Extraordinary, and the only one in England capable of wielding fire in over one hundred years."

Regards,

Kareni

"
  • Like 10

I have started what is so far a very satisfying mystery on the Soho imprint:  The Coroner's Lunch by Colin Cotterill.  Soho mysteries offer interesting settings as is the case with this book set in 1970's Laos after the Communist Pathet Lao have assumed power.

We saw some snow today!  This is a very rare event in my coastal environment.  My husband and I were amused to see pollen puddles covered with a light snow/ice dusting. Not that the snow hung around for long!

We've been getting pollen alerts as well as winter storm warnings. Funny combination for sure!

I just finished Silence Fallen the new Mercy Thompson. It was great! The main characters all take a road trip to Europe. OK, there was much more to the book than that but I enjoyed the way the setting change simplified this one.

I have no idea what I am going to read next in paper. A huge stack is sitting beside me. I need to catch up in From Beast to Beauty.

I loved Arthur Pepper! So glad you are enjoying it.

Robin - have a nice break. And thanks to Jane and Amy for subbing.

If I can get it from my library on time, I'm going to read The Green Road by Anne Enright for St. Pat's week. I'm also reading Louise Penny's 2nd book, The Life of Frederick Douglas, and Rebecca Solnit's The Faraway Nearby. From the latter:

p. 54: "Books are solitudes in which we meet."

and

p. 63: "The object we call a book is not the real book, but its potential, like a musical score or seed. It exists fully only in the act of being read; and its real home is inside the head of the reader, where the symphony resounds, the seed germinates. A book is a heart that only beats in the chest of another.

Last week I finished Tracy Chevalier's The Last Runaway. Highly recommend. Takes place in a Quaker community in Ohio and involves the Underground Railroad.

Robin, I hope you get lots of reading done. 

I finished  The Complete Guide to Fasting. Apparently, I already practice a version of fasting and didn't know it. I figured 12 hour "fasts" were normal in everyone's life.  :huh: I routinely stop eating after 8 in the evening and don't eat again until at least 8 in the morning. Sometimes later. I didn't know this was a fasting diet. I don't like to eat close to bedtime, and I am in bed at 9-9:30 (even though I stay up reading in bed). I get up at 6 and take my medicine (can't eat for an hour after taking it) and start my workout between 7-7:30. I HATE to eat before exercising. Plus, I don't want to eat an hour after my med and then have to wait another 30-60 min for my food to digest before I exercise. Hello! I have kids! So according to this Dr. I routinely exercise in a fasted state. Then breakfast is anytime after that. Sometimes breakfast is right away and other times an hour or two later. I used to wonder if this was bad because you hear all the time that you should eat immediately after exercise, and many times I force myself to eat. Considering I'm at a good weight now I'm not going to do that anymore. 

I also learned that coffee suppresses appetite. I always figured it just filled my belly and made me full. So I was interested to learn that the chemistry of coffee suppresses the appetite. That explains why I can drink a coffee and be full for several hours. I usually have to make myself choose coffee or food cause I can't do both. 

Anyway, I won't be doing any of the other longer fasts as the author says not to if you are under a certain BMI. So I will stick to my regular way of eating which apparently is a type of fasting. I also end up doing 16 hour fasts on occasion, but it's not ever a conscious thing. I'm so happy to read that exercise while in a fasting state is fine. That was an area of struggle for me. It's nice that I can let it go. 

Some of the recipes look yummy. I should make bone broth. The author reminded me to get back in the habit. His recipe for it looks good. I struggle with getting enough salt on most days (unless I find myself eating those very addictive Cape Cod chips which by the way was a doctor's recommendation) and bone broth would be an easy way to to get in salt. Gatorade is disgusting. That's all I have to say about that. 

Anyway, overall I like the foundation of the book. It makes sense to me that people shouldn't eat all day every day. That's just not how our bodies are meant to function. But then I'm coming from the perspective of having to force feed myself at times so it's nice to hear I can relax and just follow my hunger cues instead; now that I'm not trying to gain weight anymore. And yes, trying to gain weight is just as much a problem as trying to lose weight. Forcing yourself to eat is not fun. And being underweight is actually more unhealthy than being a bit overweight. 

I was excited to try a longer stretch of fasting just out of curiosity for the experience, but I won't since I'm not in the safe zone and I don't want to mess with falling below my optimal range again. It's a yucky place to be. I will share the fasting info with dh. He might be interested.  

• Like 18

Mom Ninja, A question about the coffee filling you up part of your book. I have noticed that also but think the effect might be greater with caffeinated verses decaffeinated. Is that right? I am out of my normal decaffeinated and currently drinking caffeinated to use up my supply and seem to feel full for a couple of hours, I don't remember it being that with decaf.....

• Like 8

I don't think Dead Space is going to happen as the first few pages were fairly gory. I'm going to have to ask DS about the rest of the book before I read it. I'm off to look for a green book or one with green in the name.

I'm also going to buy reading glasses today. The print in Dead Space was so small, tightly packed, and italicized that I struggled just getting through one page. Time to put my ego behind me and get those Foster Grants.

Edited by Scoutermom
  • Like 12

Not much to report here. I did finish listening to Elizabeth Hand's Wylding Hall, which I loved all the way through, but I haven't finished anything else. I have only started more things.

Currently reading:

Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman (audiobook)

Midnight Robber by Nalo Hopkinson 

Word Power Made Easy by Norman Lewis

A Pocket Guide to Flash Fiction by Randall Brown

Grimm's Complete Fairy Tales

From the Beast to the Blonde - chapters 4 and 5

• Like 14

To be honest, at the risk of over-sharing, I'm really struggling with depression which makes me just want to withdraw and crawl in a hole. I had hoped that springier weather and some time in the sun would knock it out. Maybe it still will. In any event, I feel like I need to force myself to stay engaged somewhere for my own mental health, but the rest of the online world just makes me feel much worse right now. So here I am. I am grateful for you people.

Currently reading:

Too Like the Lightning - I read this last year, liked it, but found it difficult to absorb. I knew I'd need to re-read it at some point, and since the sequel has just been released, the time is now. I'm enjoying it more this second read-through, I don't have to concentrate quite as hard on sorting out all the characters and can appreciate what the author is doing. I'm looking forward to Seven Surrenders.

The Sympathizer - this is really great, I had high hopes after reading his short story collection The Refugees. It isn't disappointing.

Game of Queens: The Women Who Made Sixteenth-Century Europe - reading this for dd's history, we've been covering medieval & renaissance English history & Shakespeare. Very interesting. I've always enjoyed reading about Elizabethan history and this provides a lot of context to that time period

Strangers in their Own Land: Anger and Mourning on the American Right - a Berkeley sociologist's attempt to get over "the empathy wall" and understand those on the other side of the political divide. 

The Unwinding: An Inner History of the New America - audio. Interesting approach to history, so far it's entirely personal stories, some of prominent figures, some not. It's interesting to hear an in-depth history of one's own lifetime.

Finished this week:

Sparkling Cyanide - a light, fun murder mystery. Agatha Christie did not disappoint, although it wasn't the most plausible mystery it was satisfying

Gunnloth's Tale - very strange, very postmodern, very engrossing sort of modern retelling of Gunnloth's Tale from Norse Mythology. Very focused on the transition from goddess-based religion & culture to male-dominated religion & culture in ancient times, and the "deep sources" of the mythology we know. Also on the relationship between mother and teenage daughter

Richard II - wonderful play, wonderful language. I didn't expect to enjoy this as much as I did but it's become one of my favorite history plays

White Trash: The 400-Year-Old History of Class in America - important companion piece to Stamped from the Beginning. Together they fill in a lot of holes in the history we all learned in school and provide a lot of context for the current state of things in this country.

The Lost Pilot - James Tate's first published book of poetry. I re-read it because Pilot is a 240 Bingo category for me. I like his later stuff better.

What We Do Now - a wide-ranging set of responses (well, all from the left, but wide-ranging in terms of focus) to the 2016 election.

• Like 20

Rose, Glad to hear you are enjoying the Game of Queens. I have had that one on a wish list for a couple of months but couldn't decide if it was a worthwhile read or not. I spent several months reading Tudor books a few years ago and really enjoyed it. :grouphug:

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 9

To be honest, at the risk of over-sharing, I'm really struggling with depression which makes me just want to withdraw and crawl in a hole. I had hoped that springier weather and some time in the sun would knock it out. Maybe it still will. In any event, I feel like I need to force myself to stay engaged somewhere for my own mental health, but the rest of the online world just makes me feel much worse right now. So here I am. I am grateful for you people.

Currently reading:

Too Like the Lightning - I read this last year, liked it, but found it difficult to absorb. I knew I'd need to re-read it at some point, and since the sequel has just been released, the time is now. I'm enjoying it more this second read-through, I don't have to concentrate quite as hard on sorting out all the characters and can appreciate what the author is doing. I'm looking forward to Seven Surrenders.

The Sympathizer - this is really great, I had high hopes after reading his short story collection The Refugees. It isn't disappointing.

Game of Queens: The Women Who Made Sixteenth-Century Europe - reading this for dd's history, we've been covering medieval & renaissance English history & Shakespeare. Very interesting. I've always enjoyed reading about Elizabethan history and this provides a lot of context to that time period

Strangers in their Own Land: Anger and Mourning on the American Right - a Berkeley sociologist's attempt to get over "the empathy wall" and understand those on the other side of the political divide. 

The Unwinding: An Inner History of the New America - audio. Interesting approach to history, so far it's entirely personal stories, some of prominent figures, some not. It's interesting to hear an in-depth history of one's own lifetime.

Finished this week:

Sparkling Cyanide - a light, fun murder mystery. Agatha Christie did not disappoint, although it wasn't the most plausible mystery it was satisfying

Gunnloth's Tale - very strange, very postmodern, very engrossing sort of modern retelling of Gunnloth's Tale from Norse Mythology. Very focused on the transition from goddess-based religion & culture to male-dominated religion & culture in ancient times, and the "deep sources" of the mythology we know. Also on the relationship between mother and teenage daughter

Richard II - wonderful play, wonderful language. I didn't expect to enjoy this as much as I did but it's become one of my favorite history plays

White Trash: The 400-Year-Old History of Class in America - important companion piece to Stamped from the Beginning. Together they fill in a lot of holes in the history we all learned in school and provide a lot of context for the current state of things in this country.

The Lost Pilot - James Tate's first published book of poetry. I re-read it because Pilot is a 240 Bingo category for me. I like his later stuff better.

What We Do Now - a wide-ranging set of responses (well, all from the left, but wide-ranging in terms of focus) to the 2016 election.

Thinking of you, Rose. Been there. I've got Stamped from the BeginningWhite Trash, and What We Do Now all sitting beside me, so I am glad to see your comments.

Hello everyone! 

Enjoy your time away, Robin - hope you get lots of reading done!

Rose  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

I finally finished two books - My Love, My Enemy by Jan Cox Speas-from Goodreads-Played against the exciting background of the War of 1812, My Love, My Enemy ranges in colorful setting from Annapolis and Washington to Bermuda, Europe and the high seas...and has for its central character a most appealing and impulsive heroine.

The trouble started with Page Bradley's determination to risk the British blockade and steal a ride aboard her father's boat to Annapolis. Once in town, she could hardly have stood quietly by while a mob of angry seamen prepared to lynch the handsome young Englishman. It was only natural to intervene, claiming the stranger as an expected guest of her father.

And things get going from there :). It is well-written and I loved that the scenes set onboard a ship are done well. The heroine's reasoning near the end of the story felt a little forced and I wanted to give her a shake. The hero was appealing and it was actually more along the lines of historical fiction than a straight romance. 

My second book was For Deader or Worse by Sherri Cobb South. This is #6 in the John Pickett mystery series - I believe Amy read this last week? Another good installment in the series. :) I do wish the author would cool it with all the blushes and feelings of inadequacy that John goes through. Have him be the Man we all know him to be! 

• Like 12

Rose, :grouphug:  :grouphug: .

I hope that the sunshine of spring brings some relief. And I am glad that you feel lifted up by at least one sliver of the WTM forums.

I finished Slaughterhouse Five last week, and will finish Voices from Chernobyl today or tomorrow. After all that death and despair, I am going to turn my attention to the unabridged, Gabrielle-Suzanne Barbot de Villeneuve's Beauty and the Beast. It was originally published in 1740, and there is a lovely new edition. With pop-ups! 

• Like 13

A one day only currently free fantasy classic for Kindle readers ~

The Well at the World's End: A Tale by William Morris

"The epic fantasy novel that defined the genre, now in one volume

As the youngest son of a king, Ralph of Upmeads is expected to forsake adventure for the safety of home. But the call of the Well at the World’s End is too powerful to resist, and Ralph disobeys his parents in order to seek out his true destiny in its magical waters. The journey is long and arduous as the well lies on the far side of a distant mountain range and the lands beyond Upmeads are full of treacherous characters. With the help of a beautiful maiden and an ancient hermit, Ralph completes his quest and raises the cup of immortality and wisdom to his lips. The question is, what will he do with his newfound powers?

Widely recognized as the forerunner to modern fantasy, The Well at the World’s End is a magnificent tale of romance and adventure and a major influence on the works of J. R. R. Tolkien and C. S. Lewis."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 9

Oh friend! I'm so sorry. I'm glad that this place can be a safe happy place for you.

My second book was For Deader or Worse by Sherri Cobb South. This is #6 in the John Pickett mystery series - I believe Amy read this last week? Another good installment in the series. :) I do wish the author would cool it with all the blushes and feelings of inadequacy that John goes through. Have him be the Man we all know him to be! 

I agree. If I had a complaint of the series it would be that the time for him to be shy and insecure was over.  I really loved the secondary characters in this story though.

• Like 9

Mom Ninja, A question about the coffee filling you up part of your book. I have noticed that also but think the effect might be greater with caffeinated verses decaffeinated. Is that right? I am out of my normal decaffeinated and currently drinking caffeinated to use up my supply and seem to feel full for a couple of hours, I don't remember it being that with decaf.....

From the book, "While many assume that it is the caffeine in coffee suppresses hunger, studies show that this effect is more likely related to antioxidants--although caffeine may raise your metabolism, further boosting fat burning."

I wonder about my "Mommy's special coffee" which includes some Bailey's or Kahlua. ;)

I'm sorry. Maybe put heavier reading aside and dive into light and fun. Also, I know it's hard but just keep moving. As you know from Spark, exercise can be the best way to beat depression. Even if all you can do is take a daily walk outside. Maybe dig up weeds? Digging in the dirt is very cathartic for me. Do you have stairs? A sprint (or jog) up the stairs is a very easy HIIT and gets those chemicals going. Grab an audio book and get walking. Those are all things I do when I have the sads. (My little nephew calls it that)

I'm not lecturing. I hope I don't sound like it. Just telling you what I do to get over a hump. 

Edited by Mom-ninja.
  • Like 14

I almost skipped posting about this one now that I've finished it because I already mentioned it. Someone was looking for a Florida author for Bingo so....

I finished Sanibel Flats https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/93812.Sanibel_Flats which is the first in a series starring Doc Ford. Doc Ford is a jerk with a really low opinion of women but I loved the location of most of the story. It's a bit of a 007 with all the women in love with Doc Ford and falling over themselves to sleep with him. It took me back to really happy times in my life so I am stuck reading his character's opinions. It was a pretty good story if you can leave the women out of it! ;)

I have a slightly later one in the series, Captiva, already in the stack. It most be returned physically to the library on Friday. I plan to read it this week because it apparently is focused on the rights of commercial fishermen verses sports fishermen in an area where I grew up knowing many of the commercial fishermen. I totally missed the sport fishing side of the argument.....in my childhood world everybody's dad had a commercial license.

I think these books are pretty similar to Clive Cussler's Dirk Pitt series with a constant Florida influence.

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 8

I'm sorry. Maybe put heavier reading aside and dive into light and fun. Also, I know it's hard but just keep moving. As you know from Spark, exercise can be the best way to beat depression. Even if all you can do is take a daily walk outside. Maybe dig up weeds? Digging in the dirt is very cathartic for me. Do you have stairs? A sprint (or jog) up the stairs is a very easy HIIT and gets those chemicals going. Grab an audio book and get walking. Those are all things I do when I have the sads. (My little nephew calls it that)

I'm not lecturing. I hope I don't sound like it. Just telling you what I do to get over a hump. 

It doesn't sound like a lecture at all, it's what I'm telling myself, too: trying to get at least a walk in and some sun-on-skin time every day. It does help. I'm also taking fish oil & Vitamin D and trying to eat as much fish as feel safe. That stuff helps too.  Thanks for the encouragement!

As far as reading - yeah, heavy isn't so good, but the most depressing thing by far I've read lately is Facebook. I've put myself on a diet from that for awhile.

• Like 14