7 replies to this topic

What's with the ads?

#1 Happymomof1

Happymomof1

Hive Mind Larvae

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 08:24 AM

I really don't want to do this, but I need to.  My older two took the old version, so did I.  The essay looks completely different now..  Next year, I will need to do test prep for my youngest.  I may also be teaching a class in it.  What are the best books to prepare for the new SAT.  There used to be the big blue book.  Any advice is helpful.  I have tons of books on the vocabulary section from the old one, but I'm thinking those are useless now. 

• coloradomomof5 likes this

#2 Mabelen

Mabelen

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1900 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 11:48 AM

I can't recommend any books but I would get started with Khan Academy if you haven't already.
  • RootAnn and freesia like this

#3 RootAnn

RootAnn

* Certified Crazy Lady *

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6187 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 01:22 PM

I echo the Khan Academy suggestion. I have no idea on the writing section as we don't plan to do it. (And, we'll only do the SAT if her PSAT is in NM range.)

Erica Metzler has a Hive-recommended Critical Reader book. 

I don't know anything about these recs, but there was recently a post with study resources for the new SAT. It is called SAT resources. I'm linking it for you.

#4 SanDiegoMom in VA

SanDiegoMom in VA

Hive Mind Level 6 Worker: Scout Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 06:04 PM

Khan Academy. That's all my daughter used.  She was a little worried because it was so hard, but the studying portion was a lot easier than the actual test (at least the time she took it -- last October).  She did amazingly well.  Well, she scored well anyway without studying in the Verbal, but she really had to work to bring Math up and she was able to with Khan Academy.  Now I sound like an advertisement. 

• RootAnn and counselinggirl like this

#5 Liza Q

Liza Q

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1597 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 07:17 PM

We're starting with the Official SAT Study Guide, 2016 edition. I've had him read through it and now he's taking the first test in sections - timed, but one every day so he can see what they are like. Once we know his strengths and weaknesses I can assign him some Khan Academy work and maybe some of those books. Then I'll have him take the rest of the practice tests but one whole test at a time, so he can get used to the length of the real thing. He doesn't mind trying the Khan videos but he doesn't want to get used to using the computer for practice tests.

And I have him registered for the Bravewriter SAT Writing class in May. So I'll have him take the test in June and then see if he needs to retake it in the fall. 

• RootAnn and showelott like this

#6 showelott

showelott

Hive Mind Worker Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 08:36 PM

I really don't want to do this, but I need to.  My older two took the old version, so did I.  The essay looks completely different now..  Next year, I will need to do test prep for my youngest.  I may also be teaching a class in it.  What are the best books to prepare for the new SAT.  There used to be the big blue book.  Any advice is helpful.  I have tons of books on the vocabulary section from the old one, but I'm thinking those are useless now. 

Since the test changed in 2015, it's all new material - the old resources probably won't be helpful (at least they weren't helpful for me - I had to start over from scratch)

The College Board has created a new Blue Book: The Official SAT Study Guide, 2016 edition with 4 tests. There should be a new version coming out in May with 8 tests. But the BEST way to get a hold of the tests is a free download from their website. They have 7 tests up now, with Test 8 being release by the end of this month (probably).

Vocab isn't tested any more as a separate subject. But grammar and grammar rules are tested much more thoroughly on the new test. Essay is totally changed. Here's my list of my favorite resources.

My kids have had mixed results with Khan. I think the best way to use it is for targeted practice problems. I wish they made it easier to PRINT OUT the problems and work with them on pencil and paper (since the SAT will be given in the pencil and paper format)

• Liza Q likes this

#7 Happymomof1

Happymomof1

Hive Mind Larvae

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 07:29 AM

Thanks everybody.  I've ordered the books.  I knew the Hive could help!

#8 Liza Q

Liza Q

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1597 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:29 PM

Sort of piggy-backing here -

I have my son's subscores from his first practice test, which he took on paper in the Official SAT Study Guide... but I don't know what to do with them! Can I use them to plan targeted practice at Khan? Will they be helpful in deciding what to practice if we order any of SAT books? Was there any point to figuring out the subscores?

Overall he did well - better than I expected. I don't know if he will do that much better with some practice, though. I worry that any gains he makes will be offset by the reality of taking the test in a school setting....that didn't phase my oldest but my next daughter did much worse on the real tests than she did in practice.

• RootAnn likes this