Menu

Need to spend $1000 on homeschooling in the next month

Wanderlust

My family is fortunate to be part of a charter school with independent studies. Each child is given $2500 for classes and curriculum for the school year. I have spent the stipends for my oldest 2 (mostly tutoring due to LD) but my TK 5 year-old son has about $1000 left! He is not into classes so it is all going to curriculum and extras. I have bought a ton of games (clumsy thief, number ninjas, sum swamp, etc), art supplies, a calendar station, Singapore math for next year, WTM, FLL 1 and 2, AAS 1-3 and a few other things. I know it is a dream come true to have extra money to spend, but I am clueless as what to buy. What are some must-haves? "Consumable" options are great (paperback books, paint, etc) so I don't have to return it to the school. What would you buy?

Are there any expensive reference books that the whole family could use? Story of Us set? Usborne, DK, or other illustrated books that can be used for years? We also like the one small square books for ecosystems and basher books for all sorts of things. Math manipulatives? I found a set that you can use to build 3-D shapes. Pin-it maps and snap circuits sets are also good hands-on extras. Also, the magic treehouse set or the cat in the hat knows a lot about that are fun books for younger kids that introduce a lot of topics.

Edited by ClemsonDana

• music stuff--a set of little kids' instruments, CDs (like the Beethoven's Wig series), CD player
  • an easel, if you don't have one
  • elementary science supplies--magnets, sand timers, eye dropper, food coloring, etc.
  • readers like the Nora Gaydos books

I agree that swimming lessons would be good.

If you want to try a somewhat expensive (but good) curriculum, Logic of English Foundations is a good candidate.

• Like 1

I'm in the same position so I know what you mean. My charter lets us keep everything until we decide to be done with it so if yours is the same you could stock up for the future. What about an art program like Artistic Pursuits and the supplies. Science program and its supplies. The supply kits are pricy and great to have so programs are more open and go. Is he reading? If not AAR. Does your charter let you receive subscription kits at home and go through the summer? Mine requires they go to our ES so we can't get them over the summer. If you can then we've really enjoyed Raddish and Kiwi Crate. Raddish is something I'd never buy myself but it's been great for DS to practice cooking.

• Like 1

Yours doesn't roll over? Our state switched last but they didn't really publicize it so I have noticed not every parent knows they can just save the balance for the future.

When we had to spend a surplus, I bought the next year's books from a couple good book lists -- Ambleside, Mater Amabilis, Sonlight, etc. Anything that looked good to read in the future, plus some good reference books. The Smithsonian books are well loved and frequently used here. We also bought books on tape. The Chronicles of Narnia from Focus on the Family is hugely popular in my house :) And the audio books for Story of the World.

How about a microscope?  It will serve him for years!  

Have you considered teaching him a second language?  If so I really suggest the videos at Foreign Languages for Kids (https://www.foreignlanguagesforkids.com/).  If I had money to burn I'd spend it on that, and then pay someone who's first language is spanish to come play with my child and speak only Spanish once a week or so.

Signing Time videos are also great at that age (another good second language to learn).

Would a membership at the YMCA for PE count?  Or sports equipment for PE? 

Edited by goldenecho

Thank you everyone for all the great suggestions! Our charter works on a use it or lose it system. Unfortunately, our funds do not roll to the next year. Whatever we do not spend gets absorbed by the charter. Considering they already receive thousands (someone told be $6000) per student, I don't want my stipend to go unspent. Next year I will plan to buy more memberships and subscriptions at the beginning of the school year, as they prorate it based on the months that fall during the school year.

A lot of great book suggestions were made. My Amazon and Rainbow Resources carts are bursting. Also quite a few new-to-me curriculums were recommended. I have enjoyed researching it all.

An art supply shopping spree is in the future as well as the purchase of some science kits. Thanks again for taking the time to reply. Your comments were greatly appreciated!

Shannon

• Like 1

Last year we started being allowed to roll over unused funds. Make sure you HAVE to spend it this year! We can also use funds from one kid on a different kid, so we aren't locked into buying on grade level.

Audiobooks! Join Audible for a trial month so that you get the subscriber discount, and then stock up on audiobooks. Most are $10-$15

Series of Unfortunate Events

Roald Dahl collections

Beverly Cleary collections

Pippi Longstocking

Chronicles of Narnia

Harry Potter

etc.

iPad, Whiteboard, toner, printer paper, etc.

Literature guides - Moving Beyond the Page ones are great, and they are consumable

Lively Latin download

Math Mammoth blue series

Logic Safari, Logic Liftoff series, One Hour Mysteries

Life of Fred elementary books

Usborne reference books (Cells, Microscope, Astronomy, Mysteries & Marvels of Nature, DNA & Genetics, etc.)

I think I spent all $1000 right there, LOL.

• Like 1

I can only dream...!

If we had that, we could sign the kids up for ALL the classes!

With that said, I'd go with a subscription to every age-appropriate magazine produced by Carus Publishing, an outside class (maybe a sport?), and then as many memberships as possible to museums and whatnot.

• Like 1