What's with the ads?

#51 Zoo Keeper

Zoo Keeper

Tamer of Man and Beasts

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2270 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:32 AM

I think CQLA is probably referring to Character Quality Language Arts...I googled it...https://www.google.c...ainedmind.com&*

#52 okbud

okbud

Cylon lover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11881 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:55 AM

I think CQLA is probably referring to Character Quality Language Arts...I googled it...https://www.google.c...ainedmind.com&*

Thanks!

I'd love to see more about this.

#53 okbud

okbud

Cylon lover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11881 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:33 AM

DS asked me if people talk about his favorite, The Story of Civilization from TAN, and i said that indeed people do not :-)

I got the audiobook from audible. It is NOT dramatized, as advertised. There are sound effects and they do play relevant mus selection in the background, though.

Amazon has all the products.

It is definitely religious, more so than SOTW, but it would be yeah since TAN is a Catholic (I think) company.

• Hunter and JaneEyre like this

#54 Spudater

Spudater

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1944 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:05 AM

TAN is super Catholic. :). They publish the book I'm using for 6th and 7th grade hstory, "The Old World and America" by Fr. Furlong. It isn't getting as much love in the Catholic homeschooling world now that the Catholic Textbook Project is the shiny new thing, but imo CTP isn't nearly as well written, esp for wnd of the chapter Qs and actvities, despite CTP being so much prettier.
  • okbud likes this

#55 okbud

okbud

Cylon lover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11881 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:43 AM

TAN is super Catholic. :). They publish the book I'm using for 6th and 7th grade hstory, "The Old World and America" by Fr. Furlong. It isn't getting as much love in the Catholic homeschooling world now that the Catholic Textbook Project is the shiny new thing, but imo CTP isn't nearly as well written, esp for wnd of the chapter Qs and actvities, despite CTP being so much prettier.

Tsoc is just sort of baseline religious. Jews=gods chosen etc.

They get slightly more into the nitty gritty of ancient history, which my boys like. We heard of two Commander suicides this morning, for example. The word "slaughter" comes into play. They talk about a woman being married off against her will and many mass enslavements. Things like that.

It's also, by don't of being more focussed, more in depth. It's straight Egypt/Mesopotamia/Greece/Macedonia/Rome.
  • Spudater likes this

#56 Hunter

Hunter

hunter of input

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25863 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:44 AM

DS asked me if people talk about his favorite, The Story of Civilization from TAN, and i said that indeed people do not :-)

I got the audiobook from audible. It is NOT dramatized, as advertised. There are sound effects and they do play relevant mus selection in the background, though.

It is definitely religious, more so than SOTW, but it would be yeah since TAN is a Catholic (I think) company.

Nope. Never heard of it!

#57 Sahamamama2

Sahamamama2

Hive Mind Level 3 Worker: Honeymaking Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 186 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:03 AM

Monarch (online version of Switched on Schoolhouse and Lifepac workbooks.) 

Shiny, have you and your daughter checked out any of the electives? I'm curious about Monarch French I, Monarch Physical Education, and Monarch Physical Fitness. Not sure how those would work out as online courses, but it would be nice to check the box (especially on the PE/PF).

I exercise daily. I have to motivate myself, hello, and then to have to try to pry a hormonal 12 year old out of the book and off the sofa.... God forbid that a young lady should have to sweat around here. My twins move incessantly, but the 12 year old.... :001_rolleyes:

It would be nice to have someone (or something) else encourage and/or require my daughter to do daily exercise. Can you see PE and PF online? I can't tell what the difference is between them, exactly. I see they are HS-level courses (9th-12th). I wonder if they would work for a 7th grader? We're not required by the state to do PE, but I'd like some outside force to act upon the inertia. :D

#58 Sahamamama2

Sahamamama2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 186 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:06 AM

I'm sure there are many, but I'm some years out now so would have to think too hard to remember them.   :)

I just had to say, thanks for the laugh this morning! :) This will be me in a few more years. Ha ha.

If I'm lucky, it will all be a blur. A sweet, nostalgic blur.

• J-rap likes this

#59 Sahamamama2

Sahamamama2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 186 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:11 AM

My Book House is an old series that has read aloud and independent reading passage over 10 volumes. It's basically an introduction to Western Civilization in and of itself, with stories from varies mythologies, intros to artists, composers, and authors, stories of great heroes, etc.  For instance, it has the only kids' version of Dante's Inferno that I have ever found.  

We have the whole set, except for Volume 8! I have no idea where Volume 8 is.  

• Carol in Cal. likes this

#60 Kinsa

Kinsa

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9422 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:14 AM

English for the Thoughtful Child used to be pretty popular. I seldom hear it mentioned these days.
  • Vida Winter, Artichoke, okbud and 1 other like this

#61 Alexigail

Alexigail

Just Visiting

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:55 AM

I can't say enough good things about Homeschool Journey portfolios. The history portfolios come in two levels for grammar and logic. The grammar stage book is further leveled for young or older children so you can fins an appropriate level for each topic. There are maps to color, printable activities, spaces for reports etc. you can use SOTW as a spine for Grammar stage. We're using the World in Ancient Times series for logic. Requires very little prep. I strongly prefer these to the SOTW activity books both for user friendliness and for the completed product. My kids love to look through their old portfolios to see their progress.

The Nature Portfolio is also wonderful. The index is full of suggestions for books on each topic. I'm doing 2nd and 5th grade together and it's working very well. There is a teacher manual in the back as well as pages for observations and writing pages for different levels.

http://www.homeschooljourney.com/
  • fralala likes this

#62 Bluegoat

Bluegoat

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11884 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 12:02 PM

English for the Thoughtful Child used to be pretty popular. I seldom hear it mentioned these days.

I still use this, I think it's a really good one, simple and straightforward and inexpensive.  And most of it can be done orally if you like.

• Kinsa and J. Alfred Prufrock like this

#63 Janeway

Janeway

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3661 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 12:06 PM

I loved Considering God's Creation. It was basic and very easy to implement. I made each unit last 2-3 weeks. I added in extra activities such as extra reading and videos. Just LOVED it. Will likely use it again. 

The other is these CDs. I think they might be sold by Cornerstone. Each CD features a musical composer in history. It plays the composers music throughout while telling the life story of the composer. Just love this.

#64 Spudater

Spudater

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1944 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:09 PM

Tsoc is just sort of baseline religious. Jews=gods chosen etc.

They get slightly more into the nitty gritty of ancient history, which my boys like. We heard of two Commander suicides this morning, for example. The word "slaughter" comes into play. They talk about a woman being married off against her will and many mass enslavements. Things like that.

It's also, by don't of being more focussed, more in depth. It's straight Egypt/Mesopotamia/Greece/Macedonia/Rome.

Yeah, maybe I'm speaking out of turn a bit, I haven't looked at all their homeschooling stuff to see what kind of variety there is. I just know almost every time I buy spiritual reading for myself they turn out to be the publisher.

#65 okbud

okbud

Cylon lover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11881 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:37 PM

I can't say enough good things about Homeschool Journey portfolios. The history portfolios come in two levels for grammar and logic. The grammar stage book is further leveled for young or older children so you can fins an appropriate level for each topic. There are maps to color, printable activities, spaces for reports etc. you can use SOTW as a spine for Grammar stage. We're using the World in Ancient Times series for logic. Requires very little prep. I strongly prefer these to the SOTW activity books both for user friendliness and for the completed product. My kids love to look through their old portfolios to see their progress.

The Nature Portfolio is also wonderful. The index is full of suggestions for books on each topic. I'm doing 2nd and 5th grade together and it's working very well. There is a teacher manual in the back as well as pages for observations and writing pages for different levels.

I'm so glad you mentioned these be because I just put the nature portfolios on my list for next year

I use ELFTTC orally, too :)
  • Alexigail likes this

#66 Mona

Mona

Hive Mind Larvae

• Members
  • Pip
  • 227 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:18 PM

I went to a Phonics Road workshop a few years ago and was smitten. It seems like a gorgeous program. I was nervous about how teacher intensive it might be though. What's the learning curve on the teachers end and how much time a day do you spend on it?

We used Phonics Road 1-4, but with older children. You have to start at the beginning with level 1, but you can move at a faster pace for older students. They even sell a package that includes the basics to speed through multiple levels at a lesser price back when I used it. I loved all the hand holding. I would watch the teacher training video once a week. It took me about 15 minutes, and I took any notes that I needed to help me remember new stuff. There is a daily plan to follow and little symbols on the spelling lists to remind you of any spelling rules to recite or when to add words to your blueprint lists. It was very easy to use, and It worked! My kids were embarrassed to sing the songs sometimes, but the tunes are catchy and songs stick with you.

• mom2scouts and texasmom33 like this

#67 Mona

Mona

Hive Mind Larvae

• Members
  • Pip
  • 227 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:43 PM

I never hear anyone mention Visualize World Geography anymore. We used this with another family and our kids really enjoyed it. They remembered the silly stories to help remember where the countries are and even shared the stories with friends. Other homeschool families in my area have asked me about it saying they heard from other families children how much they enjoyed geography with us and wanted to know what we used.  

A new curriculum "to me" is The Good and the Beautiful" by Jenny Philips. My dd is using it a grade below and loves it! It incorporates lit, writing, grammar and usage, punctuation, spelling, vocabulary, geography, poetry memorization, and art in one swoop. It is set up so you cover all these things so efficiently and in less time than I could ever do all these things on my own. And, it's either free as a downloadable PDF or very inexpensive. She's still working on getting the high school courses done.

• Vida Winter and scoutingmom like this

#68 scoutingmom

scoutingmom

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1242 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:56 PM

I never hear anyone mention Visualize World Geography anymore. We used this with another family and our kids really enjoyed it. They remembered the silly stories to help remember where the countries are and even shared the stories with friends. Other homeschool families in my area have asked me about it saying they heard from other families children how much they enjoyed geography with us and wanted to know what we used.

A new curriculum "to me" is The Good and the Beautiful" by Jenny Philips. My dd is using it a grade below and loves it! It incorporates lit, writing, grammar and usage, punctuation, spelling, vocabulary, geography, poetry memorization, and art in one swoop. It is set up so you cover all these things so efficiently and in less time than I could ever do all these things on my own. And, it's either free as a downloadable PDF or very inexpensive. She's still working on getting the high school courses done.

Yes we just started the Good and Beautiful language Arts a couple of weeks ago and so far we are liking it. She has changed it from grade numbers to level numbers, with level 10 being the planned to level (and a couple of keep things fresh levels for those that need it)

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk
  • Vida Winter likes this

#69 Vida Winter

Vida Winter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4691 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 01:12 PM

Yes we just started the Good and Beautiful language Arts a couple of weeks ago and so far we are liking it. She has changed it from grade numbers to level numbers, with level 10 being the planned to level (and a couple of keep things fresh levels for those that need it)

Interesting! After a few more weeks, how is it working out?

#70 nixpix5

nixpix5

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 03:26 PM

Visualize World Geography is the best! My husband made fun of it for the cheese factor but he cannot forget the countries that he saw the videos for. I always tease him about it :) great program!

#71 LMD

LMD

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 03:54 PM

I actually picked up the medieval one second hand (without knowing much about it) and was pleasantly surprised, we liked it!
  • okbud likes this

#72 EKS

EKS

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14118 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 06:33 PM

Not a curriculum/program, but a book--Engaging Ideas by John Bean.  The intended audience is actually college professors, but I think that any person responsible for teaching writing would gain invaluable insight from reading it.

• okbud likes this

#73 scoutingmom

scoutingmom

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1242 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 12:03 AM

(Good and Beautiful Language Arts).

Still going great! My almost 9yo (level 3) says she loves it and it is her favourite. My 11yo (also level 3) also really enjoys it.

My 13yo (level 5) boy does NOT love it. BUT, he has dysgraphia and dyslexia. A year ago, if I asked him to write more than a sentence or so would practically be in tears. He would not likd any LA curriculum. He still moans when he sees a "Writer's Notebook" assignment. That said, a couple of days ago he did a Writer's Notebook assignment. He was a bit frustrated that he had spelled some words wrong. (I did not correct anything or say anything about errors...). I told him that that was ok and that in the future he would learn how to edit and rewrite some writings, but that for now the main goal was to get his thoughts on to paper. I then said that I thought this course was doing great at teaching him how to do that. He agreed and said that it is pretty good. So I call that high praise!

I know we are still new to this program, but so far it is working great!

• Vida Winter, LMD and okbud like this

#74 ktgrok

ktgrok

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19580 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 06:40 AM

I think it's just pretty new, and if you aren't Catholic you aren't likely to have stumbled across it. We are seriously considering it for next year. And also probably/possibly The Story of the Bible from them. 

But in regards to not talked about stuff that is really good, I have to put in a plug for What's In the Bible. There are DVDs or you can stream it from Amazon and they are AMAZING. Some of the stuff they cover I didn't learn until I was in college majoring in comparative religion, and yet it is all presented in such a way that my 1st grader can grasp it. And it is ACTUALLY non denominational...they often say "some Christians...." rather than assuming all believe the same way. And I think it's pretty funny, although my husband doesn't at all. If nothing else, every Christian should have the Christmas one...so much good info!

• SEGway and fralala like this

#75 ktgrok

ktgrok

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19580 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 07:01 AM

oh wow!!! I think you sold me on the jr. portfolio! Looks like it will be a perfect match for TAN's Story of Civilization!

#76 knitgrl

knitgrl

Hive Mind Level 4 Worker: Builder Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 280 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 07:25 AM

It sounded nice, but it took forever for Vol. 2 to come out, so I did not look at it very closely. I would rather stick with one curriculum for a full cycle, and they are currently out of sync with ours.

#77 okbud

okbud

Cylon lover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11881 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 08:07 AM

I have one using 2nd grade and one using 4th; they started in early April.

It is VERY NICE.

It is not enough if you operate with a classical education (any branch) paradigm. It is more than plenty is you're operating with an unschooling-adjacent paradigm.

My 4th grader will be done by Autumn, working very lackadaisically for him, and my 2nd grader will be done by winter (in the middle of Autumn some time), working pretty steadfastly for him. They both love it. We do many other things.

Everyone here especially loves the VARIETY of activities in The G&B. If I were smart, I'd stretch it out, having the kids do less at a time, with more things in between sessions with GB :)

Edited by okbud, 11 May 2017 - 04:35 PM.

• Vida Winter and insertcreativenamehere like this

#78 shinyhappypeople

shinyhappypeople

Headmistress at The Institute of Subversive Thought

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3989 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 08:15 AM

Shiny, have you and your daughter checked out any of the electives? I'm curious about Monarch French I, Monarch Physical Education, and Monarch Physical Fitness. Not sure how those would work out as online courses, but it would be nice to check the box (especially on the PE/PF).

I exercise daily. I have to motivate myself, hello, and then to have to try to pry a hormonal 12 year old out of the book and off the sofa.... God forbid that a young lady should have to sweat around here. My twins move incessantly, but the 12 year old.... :001_rolleyes:

It would be nice to have someone (or something) else encourage and/or require my daughter to do daily exercise. Can you see PE and PF online? I can't tell what the difference is between them, exactly. I see they are HS-level courses (9th-12th). I wonder if they would work for a 7th grader? We're not required by the state to do PE, but I'd like some outside force to act upon the inertia. :D

Just now seeing this, sorry.

(And lol about prying the hormonal 12 yo off the sofa.  I have one of those, too :)

I haven't used any of the electives, and you can't view them with a regular subscription.  You'd have to buy them separately.  

BTW, we've transitioned to Lifepac (same content, but workbook fomat) and it's working out fine.  It's just cheaper, and DD finds the workbook format a little bit easier to work with than online.

#79 texasmom33

texasmom33

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5652 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 12:56 PM

Visualize World Geography is the best! My husband made fun of it for the cheese factor but he cannot forget the countries that he saw the videos for. I always tease him about it :) great program!

So is it really worth the $250? I like the idea but the cost made me catch my breath a bit. 

• LMD likes this

#80 nixpix5

nixpix5

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 04:58 PM

So is it really worth the $250? I like the idea but the cost made me catch my breath a bit.

It depends on what type of learning you like. It works though! The videos are goofy and you can watch some samples to see if you would like it. Homeschool buyers coop has it on sale from time to time so worth checking there. I love it but I learn well (and my kids do to) through association and mnemonics.

Editing to add that it is good through 12th grade so the price is for the whole scope of ages. It seems more reasonable when I consider that.

Edited by nixpix5, 11 May 2017 - 04:59 PM.

• texasmom33 likes this

#81 Jyhwkmama

Jyhwkmama

Hive Mind Level 6 Worker: Scout Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 06:38 PM

FYI--I think I saw it for sale on Facebook not long ago. You might find it if you do a FB search.

• texasmom33 likes this

#82 texasmom33

texasmom33

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5652 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 07:09 PM

FYI--I think I saw it for sale on Facebook not long ago. You might find it if you do a FB search.

I'm not on FB but I'll keep an eye out here and on HSBCO. It sounds like it would work well for me and the kids.

#83 drjuliadc

drjuliadc

Hive Mind Level 2 Worker: Nurse Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 10:58 PM

Brillkids Little Reader and Little Musician. When I hear people say it is hard to teach their kids to read I am surprised. It was the easiest and most fun thing I've done with my kids.

Now if there are actual learning differences, it might still be hard, but I've heard that "hard" comment from parents with neurotypical kids.

I coupled it with Preschool Prep videos and books and a CD rom set called Memoflix by Monkisee, and leapfrog videos, so it might have been the combination of things that worked, but I was limiting screen time with my 2nd child and only did the Brillkids and Preschool Prep products and it worked with him too.
  • okbud likes this

#84 Carol in Cal.

Carol in Cal.

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16396 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 10:28 AM

"Looking at Pictures" is a decent early intro to art appreciation.

"Figuratively Speaking" is a workbook with the best intros to literary elements that I have ever seen.

At the picture book intro level:

"Zin, Zin, Zin, A Violin" is a nice introduction to symphony orchestras and the major categories of instruments

"A Kick In The Head" is a great introduction to poetic forms

• Homebody2 likes this