Menu

Transitioning kids back into ps

Any helpful advice to get kids ready for school? We've moved to area with great schools, and I'm more than ready to move on to a new phase of life. But I'm all over the place with putting my kids back into school. My youngest is already enrolled in 2nd grade, and she's thriving.

Some days, I think I should sign up the boys (6th and 7th grade) for middle school, starting last week. But then I panic that they will be so far behind, and not on a standard scope and sequence, and I feel like I need to work all spring and summer to get them ready for school. They have been homeschooled since Kindy, and it will be a big transition for them. Writing is a difficult, stressful thing (for all of us). I think they will both be ok in math, and I'm sure ds13 will do well in any content subject, as long as teachers don't give him too much busy work. DS11 lives with his head in the clouds (or in a video game). I have no idea how the transition to school will be for him, but DD15 insists that I can't send our sweet, innocent boy into middle school.

I may continue to homeschool dd15, depending on how flexible the school will be with her. The school counselor was talking about making her double up on all the core subjects and graduate a year late to get a diploma (since she has very few "verified" credits). I could care less if she gets a diploma. I want her to continue to have some flexibility to study subjects that interest her, and to develop as a person, not get a piece of paper. DH insists she must go to high school to get ready for college. But part-time high school (two classes) is an option for homeschoolers here, so I may just enroll her in English and drama and let her keep studying Japanese, animation, and modern history at home (plus the obligatory math class).

I think I'm rambling. My biggest concern is getting ds11 and ds13 ready for school. I don't have the energy to push them anymore, and they aren't cooperating with me anymore (par for the course at this age). Does the Hive have any experience to share?

Edited by TKDmom

And if it makes any difference here is the curriculum they are currently using:

DS13 (7th grade)

Crocodiles and Coconuts (math)

WTMA Expository Writing 1

MCT grammar and vocab

literature of his choice

Conceptual Chemistry

American Odyssey (history)

DS11 (6th grade)

Beast Academy 5

Writing and Rhetoric

Practice Town (grammar)

First Form Latin

BF Early American History

Homemade astronomy course

Middle school is rough IMO/IME.  I would be hesitant to put my homeschooled kiddos in at middle, unless they were very much wanting to go or had a strong motivating reason such as sports, an accelerated program, etc. 

I would be more inclined to enroll the 15 yo if she wanted to go.  If not, eh.....

• Like 1

You should not completely enroll your dd in the high school at this point, because that's not acceptable to delay her graduation or have her shafted. Your idea of taking some courses there makes a lot more sense. Alternately, look into DE (dual enrollment) and get that going next year. Many states are funding DE, so the best students are leaving the hs classes and going into DE. If she does that, you might not need the ps hs at all. I wouldn't screw with them for inferior classes or things that don't fit. She's really late to jump in and find a social group, etc. Unless there's an opportunity there she really wants, pursue DE.

For your two boys, have you done any standardized testing? That would be a lot easier way to decide this, rather than worrying about where they are. Obviously some placement tests could get you there too. MUS, Saxon, there are lots of free placement tests online. Just pick a few middle of the road ones. When we moved, my mom always showed up with standardized test scores to get me placed. I wouldn't leave it to guesswork and your insecurities. Otherwise, they might get placed lower than they need to be and then feel frustrated.

Your list of things you're doing with them seems fine. Iirc, you have a very structured approach. They're probably going to be FINE in school, absolutely fine. They may find it significantly *easier* than what they're doing with you now. :)

Are they looking forward to sports or anything by going to school? Is there a private school that would be on the table? Since your concern seems to be more about their character than their academics, it might be a private school would fit your boys better.

• Like 3

I know how you feel. :grouphug:

*I* would not put my child in high school knowing that she'd have to graduate a whole year later than she should have. Huge numbers of homeschooled children have gone directly from home to college; public or private school attendance is not necessary at all.

for the record, if you do enroll the children in school, the school people will not care which instructional materials you are using. They only care which subjects and what grades. So, your 11yo's subjects are English, Latin, American history, and science. There's no math that I can see. Your 13yo has English, math, science, and American history. Things tend to go more smoothly if you walk in with transcripts or report cards with grades in subject areas the school can relate to. Beginning with ninth, it needs to be a transcript.

Also, if you decide to enroll them, it would be helpful for you to have them tested with a standardized test, yes, even if your homeschool laws don't require it.

• Like 4

If possible, don't send your dd to school. It's not fair for her to have to study extra, as if she had not already taken those courses and earned her grades. Also, have you really examined the ps course content? She might be going backwards, academically, as well as having to do-over. (Even in a good school district.) Look at DE or early college, instead.

For the boys, I wouldn't put them in public middle school. I'd ramp up a little, if necessary, to get them ready for ninth grade ps. 

Maybe look at it this way: you might not be able to stop hs'ing right now, but you'll only have a few more years to go. By the time your ds11 starts high school, his sister will have graduated from your homeschool.

(I am putting it that way because I'm in a similar scenario - if I could stop hs'ing, I would, but it's not best for my children who have worked very hard. But by the time my third-born graduates in just over two years, my youngest will be done with 8th grade. He might go to public school for high school. So I can't stop now, but I might only have a few years to go.)

• Like 2

What I've learned from having kids transition into school is that there is a whole range of abilities and levels represented there, and unless a kid is significantly behind, they will have peers at their level.

Looking at your curriculum, I don't think you have anything to worry about. The only thing I'm not familiar with is the older boy's math.

I've had 2 kids transition in at 8th grade and I'm gearing up for 1 more. The thing that I really honed in on with these last 2 is making sure that they covered the common core material required for placement in algebra for 8th grade. That's the one placement that affects high school. My eldest wasn't as strong in math and it was pre-common core, so it want as big of a push.

I also made sure my kids could handle a 5 paragraph essay. My observation is they don't have to have this mastered, but they do need to get the gist. My kids tell me that I had them over-prepared for writing, but they appreciated it.

I learned a lot by spending time on the school's website. The teachers all have their own pages with links to very helpful material. I was even able to print up a parent file for the entire math curriculum, which helped me to see what topics I needed to cover.

• Like 2

I transitioned DD this year in Gr6. The only things she struggled with were science (she did interest led units, nothing comprehensive, nothing consistent) and math (just getting used to the classroom routines and expectations). She now has As in all but science. If you've been getting to everything consistently, particularly problem solving in math, academic vocabulary in science, and basic 5 para. essay forms (expository, persuasive, etc), your kids should do fine. Turns out my DD was extremely well prepared in English and we did nothing but homegrown writing assignments and Hake 5 last year.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 2

If they are doing well in the courses you listed, I can't imagine them not being prepared. Are they mastering the material?

Overall, yes. Ds11 struggles with retention, or at least he struggles to narrate back anything he's read. We are not super consistent, and he's behind where I'd like him to be. For instance, he's just finishing book 3 of W&R, which is listed for 4th/5th grade. He doesn't have too much anxiety over writing, though. DS13 does have anxiety with writing. He kinda melts down at a multi-paragraph essay. Honestly, I always did too. It takes all my self-control to buckle down and walk him through a short essay.

I have a 6th and 7th grader. My DS11 is a daydreamer and honestly it is not the academics that would trip him up, it is the executive function skills.

For example by 3rd grade in my district, kids are supposed to write down their assigned homework in a notebook. Homework binder goes home everyday and not all homework needs to be submitted the next day. My DS12 was the kid in public school that forgets to hand in homework but teachers are lenient on him due to good state test scores.

Also permission slips get sent home. Field trips are less from 3rd grade and up locally but they still do an annual trip to the city's Art Museum and one to two more places.

Lunch bags and/or lunch money is another one. My kids brought lunch but lunch bag drop off by parents is discouraged for the older kids. The preferred method is for parents to put $5-10 in the kids lunch account and the child can buy lunch at the cafeteria if he/she forgot his/her lunch bag.

My district doesn't require me to give a transcript up to 9th grade enrollment. It is the immunization card that they need with up to date immunization and recent TB tests. I think my kids' TB tests results cannot be older than 2 years. I do have an informal transcript because private high schools would appreciate us submitting a middle school transcript with the application form.

My friend's son was in the out group when he entered 6th grade. He went to the best middle school in my district but the in group expect math accelerated kids to stay with their own classmates like a school within a school scenario. My DS12 is 5'6" and people just assumed he is much older whenever we are at a B&M school for an event. My DS11 is 4'10" and people thinks he is a 4th grader instead and treat him as such.

• Like 1

Overall, yes. Ds11 struggles with retention, or at least he struggles to narrate back anything he's read. We are not super consistent, and he's behind where I'd like him to be. For instance, he's just finishing book 3 of W&R, which is listed for 4th/5th grade. He doesn't have too much anxiety over writing, though. DS13 does have anxiety with writing. He kinda melts down at a multi-paragraph essay. Honestly, I always did too. It takes all my self-control to buckle down and walk him through a short essay.

You could make a written request for evals by the school. You write saying you suspect ADHD or learning disabilities, have some reasonable evidence, and boom they eval. Or you could get private evals. There actually could be some nuanced explanations for these difficulties. For instance, they could have low working memory or poor word retrieval. Even that anxiety could get him a 504 or IEP and some supports. Schools take anxiety pretty seriously and will actually do things for it. Have you mentioned it to them?

Fwiw, my ds has an IEP, and we've been through the process multiple times now. With the things you're saying, you could definitely benefit from other private evals (almost always better) or ps evals or both. There really might be some things they would do for him.

Edited by OhElizabeth
  • Like 1

You should not completely enroll your dd in the high school at this point, because that's not acceptable to delay her graduation or have her shafted. Your idea of taking some courses there makes a lot more sense. Alternately, look into DE (dual enrollment) and get that going next year. Many states are funding DE, so the best students are leaving the hs classes and going into DE. If she does that, you might not need the ps hs at all. I wouldn't screw with them for inferior classes or things that don't fit. She's really late to jump in and find a social group, etc. Unless there's an opportunity there she really wants, pursue DE.

For your two boys, have you done any standardized testing? That would be a lot easier way to decide this, rather than worrying about where they are. Obviously some placement tests could get you there too. MUS, Saxon, there are lots of free placement tests online. Just pick a few middle of the road ones. When we moved, my mom always showed up with standardized test scores to get me placed. I wouldn't leave it to guesswork and your insecurities. Otherwise, they might get placed lower than they need to be and then feel frustrated.

Your list of things you're doing with them seems fine. Iirc, you have a very structured approach. They're probably going to be FINE in school, absolutely fine. They may find it significantly *easier* than what they're doing with you now. :)

Are they looking forward to sports or anything by going to school? Is there a private school that would be on the table? Since your concern seems to be more about their character than their academics, it might be a private school would fit your boys better.

I haven't done standardized testing for a couple years, but I'm glad you brought it up. That's something I wanted to do this spring to help transition. My older two always do great on standardized tests. DS11 is usually slightly below average. But...I think he'd still fit in (academically and socially) with other boys his age.

Private school is not on the table. We're already dealing with sticker shock from housing prices in NoVA. I can't add tuition on to that.

• Like 1

I know how you feel. :grouphug:

*I* would not put my child in high school knowing that she'd have to graduate a whole year later than she should have. Huge numbers of homeschooled children have gone directly from home to college; public or private school attendance is not necessary at all.

for the record, if you do enroll the children in school, the school people will not care which instructional materials you are using. They only care which subjects and what grades. So, your 11yo's subjects are English, Latin, American history, and science. There's no math that I can see. Your 13yo has English, math, science, and American history. Things tend to go more smoothly if you walk in with transcripts or report cards with grades in subject areas the school can relate to. Beginning with ninth, it needs to be a transcript.

Also, if you decide to enroll them, it would be helpful for you to have them tested with a standardized test, yes, even if your homeschool laws don't require it.

He does have math--Beast Academy. I just didn't label it well. I haven't talked with middle school counselors yet--just the high school and elementary school.  

I've seen exactly one school that might have cared what we were using.  :laugh: It was a classical charter school, and they used a lot of the same things I like (like Singapore Math). Since they had such a non-traditional curriculum, they tested everyone's placement at the beginning of the year. I figured test scores would be the only thing the schools here would care about, since mom-grades don't count...

What I've learned from having kids transition into school is that there is a whole range of abilities and levels represented there, and unless a kid is significantly behind, they will have peers at their level.

Looking at your curriculum, I don't think you have anything to worry about. The only thing I'm not familiar with is the older boy's math.

I've had 2 kids transition in at 8th grade and I'm gearing up for 1 more. The thing that I really honed in on with these last 2 is making sure that they covered the common core material required for placement in algebra for 8th grade. That's the one placement that affects high school. My eldest wasn't as strong in math and it was pre-common core, so it want as big of a push.

I also made sure my kids could handle a 5 paragraph essay. My observation is they don't have to have this mastered, but they do need to get the gist. My kids tell me that I had them over-prepared for writing, but they appreciated it.

I learned a lot by spending time on the school's website. The teachers all have their own pages with links to very helpful material. I was even able to print up a parent file for the entire math curriculum, which helped me to see what topics I needed to cover.

That is great to hear! Crocodiles and Coconuts is a beginning algebra program (it follows Jousting Armadillos, which you might have seen on these boards), so he should be well-prepared to do algebra in 8th.

Writing is my huge stressor. Maybe I should find a quick essay workbook to do over the summer, and then relax.

Yes, if your ds11 is having discrepancy like that, then I would make a written request. If you *don't* make the written request, what actually happens is that it just gets left to the ps timetable. So then they'll have him enrolled for 6-9 weeks, then maybe they'll do the paperwork, then starts the 120 days. So it often takes a whole SCHOOL YEAR to get supports in place. If you go ahead and make the request now, you get a jump on that. They're busy, so what will happen is they'll meet you in 30 days (beginning of April), get the testing done by end of June, decide on a 504 or IEP and get some supports in place, and then he'll be good to go by fall, nothing crunchy.

If you wait, what you're looking at is not really getting a 504 or IEP until next spring, a year from now. It's the difference between a good school year and a bad one.

The request must be made in writing. You can email or hand write it or anything. You just say you suspect ADHD, anxiety, learning disabilities, whatever are affecting his ability to access his education and that you request evals. You DON'T have to be enrolled. It is your federal, legal right to request the evals. That letter starts the timeline. I would do it now, even before you decide on enrollment. You have the legal right, and getting that time clock clicking over the summer is ideal. That way he goes in the fall with proper supports.

Edited by OhElizabeth
  • Like 1

I have a 6th and 7th grader. My DS11 is a daydreamer and honestly it is not the academics that would trip him up, it is the executive function skills.

For example by 3rd grade in my district, kids are supposed to write down their assigned homework in a notebook. Homework binder goes home everyday and not all homework needs to be submitted the next day. My DS12 was the kid in public school that forgets to hand in homework but teachers are lenient on him due to good state test scores.

Also permission slips get sent home. Field trips are less from 3rd grade and up locally but they still do an annual trip to the city's Art Museum and one to two more places.

Lunch bags and/or lunch money is another one. My kids brought lunch but lunch bag drop off by parents is discouraged for the older kids. The preferred method is for parents to put $5-10 in the kids lunch account and the child can buy lunch at the cafeteria if he/she forgot his/her lunch bag.

My district doesn't require me to give a transcript up to 9th grade enrollment. It is the immunization card that they need with up to date immunization and recent TB tests. I think my kids' TB tests results cannot be older than 2 years. I do have an informal transcript because private high schools would appreciate us submitting a middle school transcript with the application form.

My friend's son was in the out group when he entered 6th grade. He went to the best middle school in my district but the in group expect math accelerated kids to stay with their own classmates like a school within a school scenario. My DS12 is 5'6" and people just assumed he is much older whenever we are at a B&M school for an event. My DS11 is 4'10" and people thinks he is a 4th grader instead and treat him as such.

Executive function skills are a real issue! My oldest definitely has troubles there. I used to worry that she could never survive adulthood, but as she has matured, I have hope that she will.  :lol:

Are you still in Silicon Valley? I lived there years ago, and we just moved to Northern VA, which has some cultural similarities. Lots of Indian and Asian families, a heavy emphasis on academics, plus a ridiculously expensive housing market, which means lots of money for the schools. My experience at the elementary school suggests that they start with assumption that parents care about their kids' education and are on the same team as the school, which is a welcome change.

Edited by TKDmom

Are you still in Silicon Valley? I lived there years ago, and we just moved to Northern VA, which has some cultural similarities. Lots of Indian and Asian families, a heavy emphasis on academics, plus a ridiculously expensive housing market, which means lots of money for the schools. My experience at the elementary school suggests that they start with assumption that parents care about their kids' education and are on the same team as the school, which is a welcome change.

The school admin and their teachers are generally easy to work with. They tell us to homeschool or go private.

The district office and school board was rather condescending to the extent that we have to call the dept. of education to complain about non-compliance for performance improvement by our district. What is funny in a sad way is that using the Dr. honorific when writing/emailing to the district would get things done much faster, also the staff treat mothers with PhD or engineering/law/medical degrees much better.

The school boards have changed many times and there are lots of drama and infighting compared to when my DS12 entered kindergarten. Some public school grounds have also become rather political and my friends children's middle schools in a few districts have teachers telling kids to tell their parents to vote for a certain presidential candidate. The teachers also encourage kids to walk out of school to participate in any protest. People who can afford it have switch to private schools to avoid the teacher strikes and political mess. It is why we are looking at private high schools and secular neighbors send their children to catholic high schools. I don't even know if public schools will be in session today because of the March 8 "A day without a woman" strike.

Schools are also sanctuaries now and school districts were talking about paying for legal aid for undocumented students so budgets are going to be even messier than they already are.

My district is doing well financially now but they get lots of money from the property tax and they have some big corporate sponsors. Besides they don't spend much per student. Their annual budget says $5,600 per k-8 child, probably the lowest in the Bay Area. However Cupertino and Palo Alto have to hand out pink slips just in case they really have to layoff staff. (ETA: pink slips for school district have to go out by March for the 90 day warning I think. Forgot the legal name for it)

ETA:

We heard political bashing at state universities cafeterias and courtyards too. My kids heard lots of cursing the president on a state university campus while we were there the whole day.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

You may want to find out exactly what curric. Is used in the classroom too, just so you can check out the scope and sequence. DDs math program is not a good spine (Engage NY) but it's very good for problem solving skills and with DDs SM background was a great next step. Kids who weren't/aren't well-prepared are struggling in that class. For point of reference, the standard 8th grade math class will be factoring quadratic equations in Unit 2.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1

My state is the same in that they will not accept unaccredited credits for high school students.   My current 9th grader may take 2-3 classes at our local high school next year, but he will never be a full-time PS student and won't get a diploma from the h.s.  Since it's just a piece of paper and my homeschool diploma is just as valid, it's a non-issue.   

I second the advice to do standardized testing this spring, then focus on one area for each of your boys to strengthen over the summer before enrolling them in the PS.  I'd also work on routines like getting up at the right time in the morning, organizing their stuff the night before, and executive functions like keeping up with papers and writing down assignments.   

I have many friends who have enrolled their kids in the PS after homeschooling for a short time, and the one friend who had the most difficulty didn't have any documentation of what they had done all year long.   It was a long story, but she "never got around to buying any curriculum" except for math, and couldn't really articulate WHAT they had done for an entire school year.   Her kids were all in elementary school at the time, and were accepted into their age-appropriate grade level without too much difficulty, and are now (2 years later) doing very well in PS.   

So if you go into the school with standardized testing in hand, plus a list of the subjects they've studied this year, you (and they) will be fine.   

• Like 1

It's hard in a competitive school district that is also very diverse-- have you already checked out the test scores of the school you're zoned for? That can provide a little information of how your kids might fit in, insofar as tests can provide a portrait of that. It seems though that maybe the kind of environment they will face in junior high is just as big a concern for your family. Can you talk to the neighbors or otherwise ask locals about the local school? (I know dcurbanmom has forums for northern VA schools)

I wouldn't discount needing a break yourself. Of course your kids are your priority, but it's not the end of the world to say that YOU need a break, see how it goes...good luck!

• Like 1

I think it just depends upon each individual kid. My dad transitioned back to public high school last year. I put her a year behind because she is a Sep 30 birthday and started kindie at 4. She is very social and transitioned beautifully. She is motivated by group learning. Her algebra teacher is outstanding and her worse subject became her favorite. I also discovered how ahead my kids are on most subjects. All that worry was unnecessary! I enrolled my 6th grader in middle school and he lasted 2 months. He's my introvert, serious student. Unbeknownst to me he test at grade 11 reading! He also does MCT for language arts. It's head and shoulders above what they do in school. And we're in a top level district. We might try enrolling him next year to try again. He's not much of a risk taker but a great student. Whatever you decide, it will work out. It may not go so we in the beginning because transitions mean some fumbling and figuring out. That's how it was for us to transition from ps to hs and now the other way around. Us hs-ing Mums are clever beings who know how to figure things out...you will too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My DS 12 takes two classes (next year three) part time at the middle school. I'm realizing more and more that this is good, and a good time to still be at home. For me it's not about the academics but about the environment. The principal sent out an email to all parents about an issue at school where other kids had set up Instagram accounts in the name of a student at the school and were posting all sorts of inappropriate pictures. I guess it was about 10 kids hanging up to humiliate this one person :-( It's just middle school, it generally sucks because you confine these kids at the time they're all going through puberty , but they are doing it asynchronously from each other. One kid can't put on 2 lbs to save his life and another sports a full beard, all of them have their brains fall out their ears for at least 9 months (often more) and they don't know what to make of it, always comparing themselves, and it's just an unhealthy environment. This is where AGE segregation has the harshest results.

Sorry, I didn't mean to argue against your choice to move on from homeschooling. But I think if I could only homeschool for a short time I would choose middle school though, to save them from some of the yuckiness. So my suggestion is for part-time. If they were gone for 2-3 hours at the school and your others full time would that enable you to make the first changes towards what you want to do next?

Just transitioned 2 of mine in the last year and it has gone very smoothly. Expect them to land on both feet and they will! Just be positive and talk about some of the things they might face beforehand. I was nervous of course but it has gone well.

Agreeing with previous posters about not making high school DD repeat coursework, and about considering continuing to homeschool the gr. 6 DS up through 7th or 8th grade to shore up any weak areas, and work on study skills and executive functioning deficits -- which also gives you a last little window to both enjoy any last "bunny trails" of interests AND ramp up work to prepare them for a traditional school setting. And to get any needed special needs testing and school considerations into place.

One last thing I'd mention about high school and your DD: start looking ahead to college options and requirements. If you do the part-time option, I'd be SURE you get to all of the required credits for the advanced VA diploma to make her competitive for admission to VA colleges! (What I mean is, you DON'T have to do the verified credits and GET a VA diploma, but just complete a similar list of the number/type of credits required by the advanced diploma.)

Why I say this: some of the VA universities have an acceptance rate that is  80% in-state students. So your DD's competition will be VA public school students who have that specific list of credits on their transcripts.

VA Advanced Studies Diploma requirements:

4 credits = English

4 credits = Math (Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra II, 4th math with Alg. II as pre-requisite)

4 credits = Science (choice of 3 from: Earth Science, Biology, Chemistry, Physics)

3 credits = Foreign Language

2 credits = Health & PE

1 credit = Fine Arts

1 credit = Economics & Personal Finance (0.5 credit each)

1 credit = CTE (Career and Technical Ed -- determine for self what this is)

3+ credits = Electives

26 credits = total

Otherwise, you may need to look into out of state university options, which gets expensive due to the additional $8-10K/year for room and board -- a cost that is not very often covered by scholarships. :( Usually just partial tuition (and sometimes full tuition) scholarships are what are offered, along with loans.

I know it feels early to be thinking about college, but moving to a new state with higher expectations from high school graduates means having to start thinking about this now...

BEST of luck in your new home state and new schooling adventures! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

One last thing I'd mention about high school and your DD: start looking ahead to college options and requirements. If you do the part-time option, I'd be SURE you get to all of the required credits for the advanced VA diploma to make her competitive for admission to VA colleges! (What I mean is, you DON'T have to do the verified credits and GET a VA diploma, but just complete a similar list of the number/type of credits required by the advanced diploma.)

Lori, you always the best advice. Right now, dd's plan is to go to BYU, but I didn't even think of back up options!

Yes, she probably would have a better chance of VA colleges if she continues to homeschool, since she already has done some of the things for the advanced diploma that she wouldn't have time to do at school full time.

• Like 1

Any helpful advice to get kids ready for school?

My biggest concern is getting ds11 and ds13 ready for school.]

I wanted to add on to specifically answer your question. If they haven't practiced note taking, get them started in that now. For my 11 year old, he was not used to the amount of hand writing they do. One teacher just wrote on the board and you had to copy everything down.

Also, doing math facts with speed verbally. My son is good at math but we never drilled in the math facts and did speed tests. The 6th grade teacher would ask questions out loud and everyone was to say the answer and my son could not keep up.

Also explain that the teachers will do things differently than how you've done it at home and each teacher has their own way. Some are really great and others not so much. Their job is to do the best they can in whatever situation. It will be different but give it time and they will figure it out.

And also start researching in advance for what to look forward to. What clubs do they have? Do they have band? Walk around the campus several times to get to know it.

Enjoy looking forward to it and enjoy this new step!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2