Menu

Physical science

Jetta's Clover Creek Physics :) definately secular since we are agnostic and very fun labs. Also her online lessons can survive library wifi in case you need to be out and about during class time.

This is for my younger kid. He isn't ready for Jetta's class yet. My older one is doing it this year, so I know there is no way his little brother can survive it for now.

All the suggestions are for high schoolers (Clover Creek, Derek Ownen and Open aren't). This is for a rising 5th grader and he is not ready for a high school level work, but would do fine in a 7thbor 8th grade physical science course.

I will look at Outschool. Never heard of them.

Derek Owens Physical Science could be used by 7th or 8th grade (math skills depending).

When I read this, I was thinking that DO only has Physics, but I was wrong.  Happy day!  I just read the description on his website and I think the physical science course looks really good.  One of the textbooks he based his course on was one that had caught my eye anyway, so I would definitely take a look at it.  

• Like 1

When I read this, I was thinking that DO only has Physics, but I was wrong. Happy day! I just read the description on his website and I think the physical science course looks really good. One of the textbooks he based his course on was one that had caught my eye anyway, so I would definitely take a look at it.

My DD is using DO Physical Science this year. It's terrific! Challenging and interesting, but sooooo easy to teach/get done because it's well-laid out.
  • Like 2

Is there a good secular online physical science class for middle schoolers?

We did Disappearing Spoon through Groovy Kids. It wasn't a comprehensive chem course, but it was more of an entertaining tour of the periodic table. It did touch on many different aspects of chemistry, just not in a textbook-y way. My son learned a ton and really became interested in chemistry and its applications and history.

They change course selections each term so I'm not sure if they'll have it next year: 

http://www.onlineclassesforgroovykids.org/enroll-in-classes.html

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Derek Owens Physical Science was thorough and well liked here. Dd did it along side PreAlgebra. There were some problems in the "contest problems" at the end of Chapter 10 of Foerster Algebra that she breezed through saying, "oh yeah, Mr Owens taught that in Physical Science."

• Like 1