Menu

Do you raise bugs or other things?

mommyoffive

We always order caterpillars and watch them turn into butterflies.   I am thinking of trying other things this year too.  Praying Mantis, lady bugs.  

Have you done those?

I always want to do ants, but I am scared.  They always got out when I was a kid.  

Has anyone done Tadpoles?

Any other things you can do? 

My youngest did all sorts of critters from spiders to mantises to Monarchs and other butterflies (and other insects/bugs).  He never ordered any though.  He just went into the great outdoors and brought them inside.

You can also do composting worms pretty easily indoors.  We kept ours in an old cooler in the basement.

If you get into a botany phase, there are several plants that can be raised as well.

We have a praying mantis egg case waiting for spring. Caught a big fat female last year which laid it for us.

I really enjoyed having a Carolina Wolf Spider, Hogna carolinensis, around one year (caught that one in the house!).  She was fun to feed and even laid an egg sac that she carried with her!  They have burrows, don't really spin webs and are easy to care for.  Maybe they can be ordered from somewhere.

Have you considered giant silk moths?  Hyalophora cecropia, perhaps? :001_smile:

Fruit flies?  You can buy self-contained cultures of Drosophila melanogaster, in clear plastic so that you can see the little maggots... I'll need to get some to feed our tiny little mantises.

I had the Xenopus laevus frogs long ago, but honestly they are really boring as adults and they live FOR.E.VER.  They are invasive and can't be released if you get tired of them!  Problem is, it's often illegal to catch and raise wild native tadpoles, or you are supposed to have a special permit (at least in the U.S.).

Not normally, but the six Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches that are the biological payload for the rocket team (not only did they develop a "command module" to house and protect them for high powered rocketry launch but also to provide life support for 48 hours post launch) are living in an aquarium here at the moment since their rocket team member/caretaker is out of town.

I will be glad when they are gone.

• Like 2

We've done butterflies, ladybugs, and tadpoles. All fun!

If you do the mail order tadpoles, you won't be able to release the frog, you have a pet until it dies. 

I refuse to do ants, we have quite enough of them around. 

Not normally, but the six Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches that are the biological payload for the rocket team (not only did they develop a "command module" to house and protect them for high powered rocketry launch but also to provide life support for 48 hours post launch) are living in an aquarium here at the moment since their rocket team member/caretaker is out of town.

Gross. GROSS! Couldn't they do some ladybugs or a cute little lizard? 

I recommend against mail order tadpoles. Tadpoles, in general, are built cheap to government specifications (DD's field bio mentor's words). The survival rate from tadpole to frog is less than 10% for most species. From egg to frog is less than 1%, and captive rates aren't all that much better than wild ones. And you should never release a frog anywhere but from the exact point where the tadpole was caught due to spread of pathogens and invasive species. Check local laws as to whether it's legal to catch and release wild tadpoles. (Or create an outdoor habitat to watch them. We're in our fourth year of having wading pools in the backyard specifically for our local tree and bronze frogs to breed in. And they do. But we're in a pretty froggy place in general).

For insects, try your local bait shop. We have raised multiple insect larvae to adulthood, some for multiple generations. They will cost much less there, be species that usually are permitted to be released in your area (because otherwise, they can't be sold for fishing) and the bait shop guys will probably get a kick out of it (we have gotten well known, between buying insects to raise and going in to find insects to feed to whatever critter DD has brought home this week).  Or, find someone who keeps an insectivorous species so you can observe the insects for awhile, breed, watch them change, and have the ability to pass on the offspring to serve their original intended role. 

Also, see if anyone has pets you can borrow for a week or two. Last year, we had hissing cockroaches and a tarantula both come to visit for a few weeks. I was glad to see both go home.

Edited by dmmetler
  • Like 3

I have raised painted ladies, luna moths, Cynthia moths, polyphemus moths, promethea moths, praying mantis, and bess beetles (bess bugs), ladybugs, hissing cockroaches, and (not an insect) giant millipedes. Some of these were at home and others at the zoo and nature center where I worked.

Bess beetles will not get out. They come with their own rotting log which they stay under and find food within. They make little noises and take care of their young.

http://www.carolina.com/bessbugs/bessbug-habitat/144155.pr?question=Bess+beetle

Do you have any kids taking AP bio? The hissing cockroaches are good to use for the ethology lab, because they're so big that their behaviors are really easy to observe.

Do you have any kids taking AP bio? The hissing cockroaches are good to use for the ethology lab, because they're so big that their behaviors are really easy to observe.

Not currently. But I will absolutely be looking for a class to take them when this project is over. Apparently one escaped this morning so I am prepared to torch the place!!!