Menu

Master list of on-line classes...

Working on a master list over on the Gen Ed board. If you have used an on-line provider I would very much appreciate feedback/reviews/information on providers (and any additions that need to be made to the list).

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/638806-master-list-of-on-line-classes/

If you do not feel comfortable leaving public reviews but would be amenable to someone PMing you, you could simply post that you used so and so provider and would welcome sharing private info.

Edited by OneStepAtATime
  • Like 1

Looks good!   Suggestion have folks PM you with additional providers so the thread is less messy. The reviews could then naturally follow the first post and just could be links to previous WTM posts.  

I would not try to link the review posts in the main post - it will become unwieldy over time.

On the the High School and Middle School forums, a pinned link pointing to the General Ed  thread would be useful (after the dust settles).

Maybe add a "$",  "$$",  "$$$" , etc notation on the Master list to show relative cost (like restaurants).

Edited by MarkT
  • Like 1

Thanks for the reviews so far. First post is still being modified and many things have been added/updated. Bumping since quite a few members are searching for summer and fall online classes right now. Still seeking additional reviews and additional providers...

I'm waiting until end of semester to give you a complete reviews on what we've done.....:)

Looks good!   Suggestion have folks PM you with additional providers so the thread is less messy. The reviews could then naturally follow the first post and just could be links to previous WTM posts.  

I would not try to link the review posts in the main post - it will become unwieldy over time.

On the the High School and Middle School forums, a pinned link pointing to the General Ed  thread would be useful (after the dust settles).

Maybe add a "$",  "$$",  "$$$" , etc notation on the Master list to show relative cost (like restaurants).

Would love suggestions for price ranges regarding the $$$ suggestion.  I have no idea what to use as a yard stick.

No idea how to get anything Pinned but I agree a pin on the High School and Middle School forums would make a lot of sense.

I suspect the thread is going to get messy regardless and I don't want to have to post a bunch of rules on how to post since that may shut some people down from posting at all, but I appreciate the suggestion and will try to keep things from getting too unwieldy.  That is why I am making a master list in the first post instead of everyone having to dig through pages of posts to find links.

Appreciate your help!

Would love suggestions for price ranges regarding the $$$ suggestion. I have no idea what to use as a yard stick.

No idea how to get anything Pinned but I agree a pin on the High School and Middle School forums would make a lot of sense.

I suspect the thread is going to get messy regardless and I don't want to have to post a bunch of rules on how to post since that may shut some people down from posting at all, but I appreciate the suggestion and will try to keep things from getting too unwieldy. That is why I am making a master list in the first post instead of everyone having to dig through pages of posts to find links.

Appreciate your help!

On the prices, the only suggestion I have is you could specify yearly fee versus subscription fee if that makes sense. DO, Compass Classroom, Conceptual Academy, and Professor Carol are all subscription based (although some give you a discount if you pay at once, or max you out like DO.) Others are by semester or year. It's hard with pricing though since even at the same provider prices sometimes vary by class. Jetta's class wins for best bargain! Everything else that I've seen seems to fall in the $550-$700 range.

On the prices, the only suggestion I have is you could specify yearly fee versus subscription fee if that makes sense. DO, Compass Classroom, Conceptual Academy, and Professor Carol are all subscription based (although some give you a discount if you pay at once, or max you out like DO.) Others are by semester or year. It's hard with pricing though since even at the same provider prices sometimes vary by class. Jetta's class wins for best bargain! Everything else that I've seen seems to fall in the $550-$700 range.

Yeah, like with Outschool the prices seem to vary really widely.  I'm not sure what the most helpful money guide would be...

Oh, well.  I will deal with that as I have more time.  Still trying to get reviews posted and links created, etc. as I have a moment here and there.

Yeah, like with Outschool the prices seem to vary really widely.  I'm not sure what the most helpful money guide would be...

Oh, well.  I will deal with that as I have more time.  Still trying to get reviews posted and links created, etc. as I have a moment here and there.

Well and the prices will change every year most likely too and that will be hard to keep up. It seems after the Landry debacle several places raised prices. I didn't see the early registration discounts this year in the number I did previous years either. Might be unrelated, but I think things are in a market adjustment period in many cases. 

I am not sure where you would like reviews posted. Since we have experience with Groovy Kids, I thought I would write a short review of the classes we have taken.

My daughter is currently taking her second class from Groovy Kids. She took Fantastic Beasts and is taking Disappearing Spoon now. Both classes have been fabulous! The content is not light. It is in depth and she has learned a lot. She has had fabulous feedback on her projects and writing. Fantastic Beasts was a great supplement to her Biology class she took last year. Disappearing Spoon as proven to be just as wonderful. It supplements her Chemistry class well.

• Like 1

I am not sure where you would like reviews posted. Since we have experience with Groovy Kids, I thought I would write a short review of the classes we have taken.

My daughter is currently taking her second class from Groovy Kids. She took Fantastic Beasts and is taking Disappearing Spoon now. Both classes have been fabulous! The content is not light. It is in depth and she has learned a lot. She has had fabulous feedback on her projects and writing. Fantastic Beasts was a great supplement to her Biology class she took last year. Disappearing Spoon as proven to be just as wonderful. It supplements her Chemistry class well.

Thanks!  

Actually I am hoping reviews can be posted on the list linked in my first post on the Gen Ed thread but I can move this over there.  No worries.  Trying to keep everything kind of on one thread.  Will shift it later.   Again, thanks. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...