Menu

Local high school having difficulty ordering AP CS A

Our local high school called today to tell me they are having difficulty ordering the AP Computer Science A test for our son.  When he tried to place the order, the CB web page asked him for an access code.  This did not happen in previous years.  He called me to ask if I had a code that he could use, but I don't know anything about that.  I told him that it is possible that they had sent me a message through the course audit since I got the course reapproved last August and that I would look into and get back with him tomorrow.

Of course it is now Februrary and AP Course Audit is currently closed.  I'll log in tomorrow and look around, but I frankly don't expect to find anything.

In the meantime, I thought I would post here and see if anyone knows anything about an access code that schools need for ordering AP CS A.  Perhaps this issue is coming up because the high school is not approved for AP CS A, but that seems like an odd requirement that will leave a lot of homeschoolers with nowhere to test.

I wonder if he had the problem simply because it is still February, but beyond that, I am at a total loss.  If you have any ideas about what might be causing this issue, I'm interested to hear them.  TIA!

I'll call the CB tomorrow is I HAVE to, but I expect they will be a bit busy on March 1.  :glare:

Arcadia PMed me with the answer at the same time the school called me back.  The access code is required for AP CS P (Principles) not AP CS A.  Here is the verbiage that Arcadia found at the College Board:

"What does the AP Computer Science Principles assessment consist of?
The AP Computer Science Principles assessment consists of two parts: a through-course assessment and the end-of-course AP Exam. Both of these will measure student achievement of the course learning objectives. For the through-course assessment, students will upload digital artifacts and written responses via the AP Digital Portal.

The AP Course Audit for 2016-17 courses is open until Jan. 31, 2017. Submission of course audit materials is required to generate an access code to the AP Digital Portfolio." https://advancesinap...-principles/faq

It appears to me that College Board wants to own more of the process than they did previously with AP CS A.

• Like 1