Menu

Academy Awards

Seasider

Well, I'm excited that Mahershala Ali became the first Muslim-American actor to win an award.... and for Iran's "The Salesman"....and for "The White Helmets" documentary.   Of course, I find it amusing that some Sunni Muslims (and that's what people would probably label me) will be all like "woo hoo Muslim power" but in other discussions, they'll say "Well Mahershala is Ahamdi, so not really a Muslim....and the Iranian guy is shi'ite...so not really a Muslim...etc."

Seeing Katherine Johnson (Hidden Figures) made me tear up.

• Like 8

I'll look at the dresses on the yahoo feed.

Other than that,I could give a rip.

And some of the dresses would have been better off having been rippped a few days ago, I'll bet.

Just don't care. It's such a self-referential event.

PS: I like movies.

I feel bad for Moonlight that their thunder was stolen and everyone was to busy cleaning up their exploded heads to pay any attention to their important message.

And I feel bad for La La Land that they legit thought they won. They were very gracious though, so good for them.

I do not feel bad for Beatty or Faye Dunaway. Or Kimmel, who tried to fall on his sword over it at the end there.

• Like 2

Oh, best dress... I adored Viola Davis's red dress. She looked lovely. And Janelle Monae's whole look was incredibly good - the gold band in her hair, the elaborate dress. So great.

All the white skinny ladies in gold... meh. Some dresses were better than others - like I thought Emma Stone looked nice in hers and Jessica Biel looked kooky - but mostly they all looked washed out.

Hailee Steinfeld's all over the place look with the shiny white flowery whatever the heck was going on with that dress is my pick for worst.

Dev Patel looked hot in that white tux. I liked that his mom was wearing a sort of Sari. I get that Jackie Chan always wears something that's formalwear but an ode to traditional Chinese garb, but it always makes him look like a priest to me.

• Like 3

It took me a minute to decide the mix up wasn't fake/comedy. I also agree with Farrar, while the LaLa Land producer was very gracious, it did seem to rob the Moonlight people of their moment.

Patty Joanna, I understand what you mean about the self-congratulatory nature of it all. Personally I don't think it has to be such a long show. But I do like to see the clothes and load up my library queue with DVD and book requests. Beats folding laundry. 😆

It took me a minute to decide the mix up wasn't fake/comedy. I also agree with Farrar, while the LaLa Land producer was very gracious, it did seem to rob the Moonlight people of their moment.

Patty Joanna, I understand what you mean about the self-congratulatory nature of it all. Personally I don't think it has to be such a long show. But I do like to see the clothes and load up my library queue with DVD and book requests. Beats folding laundry. 😆

I might watch it while I was folding laundry.

If o couldn't find an old Columbo to watch. Lol.

I missed it.

How did the mix up happen? From reading online it sounds like they had the best actress envelope by mistake? Had that award already been given or is best actress after best picture?

My husband's theory is that the envelope for best actress was handed off stage as Emma Stone exited. Then, best picture was next up and that same envelope was handed back out to announce. Instead of the unopened best picture envelope.

We were just in open mouthed shock. I couldn't believe La La Land didn't win. And, I couldn't believe it didn't win after they just announced it won.

• Like 1

Emma stone said in the off stage interview that she was holding the best actress card the whole time. So she couldn't figure out how they got another card with her name.

I liked Halle Berry's dress and hair. That woman is ageless. I find myself wondering if there's some mystical portrait tucked away (a la Dorian Grey).

• Like 2

What a fiasco of an ending. Not nice for the La La Land group who thought they won & not nice for the Moonlight people who deserved a better moment for winning than after a confused mess. A shame for both of the groups.

I disliked most of the dresses this year. Viola Davis' was one of the few I liked & she wore it well. Nicole Kidman also wore hers well. Didn't like most of the others. Hair styles were also not impressive this year. Seemed like a lackluster & bad year for fashion, imo.

I didn't see most of the nominated movies this year, so I don't have real comments on any of the wins or losses. I am glad there was at least variety amongst the winners, rather than just one movie winning everything.

• Like 2

A friend posted a quote from one of the accountants who has worked the Oscars. He said that there is an accountant on each side of the stage. Each has a complete set of all 24 envelopes. Their job is to hand the correct envelope to the presenters. It's supposed to be in case the producers change the order of the awards or they need to change stage entrance sides for whatever reason. The accountant handed over the duplicate Best Actress envelope instead of the Best Picture envelope. What a flub!

I thought Jimmy Kimmel did a good job. They were super long this year, but the speeches I saw seemed heartfelt and on message without being too preachy.

• Like 6

DH and I watched Manchester By the Sea at home tonight. Casey Affleck deservered the best actor award he won tonight for his role in it, and incredible performances by the cast all around. Touching movie. I loved the bro moment between Casey and Ben tonight too.

Edited by ifIonlyhadabrain
  • Like 3

Well, I'm excited that Mahershala Ali became the first Muslim-American actor to win an award.... and for Iran's "The Salesman"....and for "The White Helmets" documentary. Of course, I find it amusing that some Sunni Muslims (and that's what people would probably label me) will be all like "woo hoo Muslim power" but in other discussions, they'll say "Well Mahershala is Ahamdi, so not really a Muslim....and the Iranian guy is shi'ite...so not really a Muslim...etc."

Seeing Katherine Johnson (Hidden Figures) made me tear up.

I'm disappointed that Saleh and Khateeb weren't allowed to be there to accept the Oscar for the White Helmets, especially after both had been granted visas.

• Like 10

And as an FYI, the White Helmets is an amazing organization if you're not familiar with them.  Basically volunteers who rescue people from bombed out buildings and such in the Syrian Civil War....especially in non-government controlled areas.  They've saved thousands of lives.

I was asleep by the Best Picture fiasco.  I feel bad for both films, actually.  

Edited by umsami
  • Like 7

I think Warren Beatty could have saved it, but was quite the dunce for handing the envelope to Faye Dunaway. I realize it wasn't his fault, but he saw there was a mistake and said nothing. It made him appear quite feeble.

That's what I was thinking. It would have been much better for him to say that he got the wrong envelope and have them bring out the correct one.

• Like 2

Viola Davis looked stunning.

I can't believe Zootopia won the animated film category. Kubo and the Two Strings was robbed.

While I wasn't rooting for anything in particular and am not totally interested in the Oscars I definitely agree that Kubo should have won for best animated film.  I've never seen anything like it! 

That being said, if Kubo lost, I'm glad it was to Zootopia, because we really liked that one as well.  I'm glad to hear the award didn't go to Dory.  (If it was even nominated, but I'm pretty sure it was.) 

• Like 1

While I wasn't rooting for anything in particular and am not totally interested in the Oscars I definitely agree that Kubo should have won for best animated film.  I've never seen anything like it! 

That being said, if Kubo lost, I'm glad it was to Zootopia, because we really liked that one as well.  I'm glad to hear the award didn't go to Dory.  (If it was even nominated, but I'm pretty sure it was.) 

And the amount of work and time that went into it! We watched a video on the making of Kubo, and their technique is ridiculously difficult. It makes for a stunning movie, though.

• Like 1

Blocked by the travel ban?

I went to bed right before the mishap.

They were initially thinking they couldn't come because of the nationality ban, but then thought they could after the court ruling. At the last minute, Syria wouldn't allow one to travel and DHS invalidated the visa of the other after he was in transit.

• Like 2

I've never been one to watch any of the awards shows on a regular basis, though I've tuned in to the Grammys on and off over the years. Still, I usually check the next day to find out what happened.

I feel bad for both the Moonlight people and the La La Land people. I don't know yet if I feel bad for Beatty, Dunaway, or Kimmel. Since I've only read about it and saw short clips online, I'm not sure if I'm seeing it all in context. No doubt there will be a lot of analyzing over the next few days about how it happened (even though those involved already said how it happened).

I'm almost sorry I didn't watch only because I would have liked to see Katherine Johnson honored.

It's rare for me to have seen nominated movies until long after the Oscars are over but this year I've actually seen three:

-La La Land - I loved it up until the moment I hated it

-Hidden Figures - I liked it better than the book, but the movie was riddled with historical inaccuracies

-Arrival -  I thought it was just okay

As for them being self-congratulatory, all awards ceremonies are self-congratulatory. The Oscars. Emmys, Grammys, Tonys, Golden Globes, etc. are public because their profession is public. Some people like to watch other people get awards. Some people like to see celebrities get dressed up for their big night out. Aside from that, celebrity awards shows are no different than the Annual Widget Makers National Award Ceremony. Widget makers congratulate each other on who made the best widget last year. Actors and filmmakers congratulate each other on who made the best movie (or acted best) last year.

*I have no idea if such a group or awards ceremony exists. :D

• Like 3

He never looked at the outside of the envelope. The card inside said "Emma Stone, La La Land." I think he was afraid something was wrong but wasn't sure, didn't want to make a scene if nothing was wrong, fumbled, and showed it to Dunaway to see what she thought. She thought he was stalling for comic effect and wanted to cut through it so she looked at the card looking for the title so she could announce it immediately and didn't pay attention to the fact that there was also a name there.

This is what I saw happen. Watching it live, I actually thought that Beatty was having difficulty reading the card and wondered if he was having problems with his eyesight.

I don't think any of it was done deliberately. It's hard to think quickly in a situation like that, and Beatty is what - 80 yrs old? He looked confused to me, and Dunaway didn't seem to be aware that he was confused. She barely glanced at the card before announcing La La Land. And to be fair to Dunaway - who has to be 70-ish herself - the card did say "La La Land". 

• Like 2

I think Warren Beatty could have saved it, but was quite the dunce for handing the envelope to Faye Dunaway. I realize it wasn't his fault, but he saw there was a mistake and said nothing. It made him appear quite feeble.

I kind of agreed with this, but then I checked, and the man is 79 years old now.  It's very likely he IS somewhat feeble.  I would imagine being on stage at an awards show where millions are watching and encountering what you're pretty sure is a major mistake but one that has never been made before and trying to process the best course of action.....that would be very different than continuing to act - where there can be take after take after take.  

I also think it's likely he handed the card to Faye Dunaway in a "See the problem?" kind of way.  Then she quickly glanced, saw La La Land and shouted it out.  

• Like 4

He never looked at the outside of the envelope. The card inside said "Emma Stone, La La Land." I think he was afraid something was wrong but wasn't sure, didn't want to make a scene if nothing was wrong, fumbled, and showed it to Dunaway to see what she thought. She thought he was stalling for comic effect and wanted to cut through it so she looked at the card looking for the title so she could announce it immediately and didn't pay attention to the fact that there was also a name there.

This is how I saw it too.

Mainly, I see it as a mistake, the biggest being made by whoever handed the envelope out in the first place. But, these people are all humans, including Beatty & Dunaway & the people who tally the votes & handle the envelopes. I don't know that there's a big deal to be made of it really. Mistakes happen. This was an epic one in relation to the show. But in reality? NASA makes mistakes & they have more serious consequences. Doctors make mistakes with more serious consequences. Pilots too. Etc....

So, people can roast & blame, but humans will eventually make mistakes. Apparently the Oscars had never had one like this, so odds were that something would happen. And it happened big. But is it really, truly a big deal? No.

Imo.

Edited by Stacia
  • Like 8

I saw someone say DiCaprio was to blame. He was the one who had the Emma Stone envelope.

I read that the mistake came from the fact that a rep from Price Waterhouse (or whatever their new name is) is stationed at each entrance (2 total) to the stage and each has a full set of envelopes to make it easier to react quickly to staging changes.  It is the rep from the accounting firm that hands out the envelopes prior to the presenter entering the stage.  The mistake was that the duplicate Best Actress envelope was given to Warren Beatty instead of the Best Picture envelope.  Since the outer envelope was red with gold writing, it was difficult to catch that mistake.

• Like 1

I have heard this, but I don't get it.  Did he hand the envelope to someone?  Why would it be his fault?

The incorrect envelope was the one that had Emma Stone's win for La La Land. He was the one who presented that award. So several people thought that he must have left the envelope somewhere or somehow given it to Beatty by accident. I also thought that was one of the more likely explanations for how it happened.

Apparently that's not correct though. There are *two* copies of the envelopes - one with the briefcase people who sit on each side of the stage - just in case there's a snafu. This was the duplicate that Beatty had. It sounds like maybe the briefcase people (the Price Waterhouse Coopers folks) messed up.

Supposedly the two of them memorize the list of winners. They're the *only* people who see it before the show. Then they manage the envelopes too. If there's a mistaken announcement like last night, they are supposed to step in immediately, which they did.

Edited by Farrar

I guess what I meant more than self-referential was more "in a bubble."

If you look back over the years, what got voted in as Best Picture has turned out to be ... not really the picture that strode the test of time, either with the critics or with the public.

Of course, some years have more to choose among than others...1939 is the oft-cited example. But many other times, the choice has been about pushing a message or an agenda or missing the point because a movie was made by some director/producer/studio that was in the In Crowd or On Message.

That's what I meant, more than self-referential. My mistake on the word choice, for sure.

Sometimes it takes time to see what holds up. But sometimes, it seems that a peek outside the bubble would help.

I also think it's likely he handed the card to Faye Dunaway in a "See the problem?" kind of way. Then she quickly glanced, saw La La Land and shouted it out.

This is how it appeared to me. Poor Warren was catching all the flack this morning, but I think Faye's inattention to details and impatience with him were apparent.

• Like 4

Forget the Best Picture fiasco.

The real issue of the evening was this.

:lol:

The real question is "Are those her real hands?"  Her fingers are freakishly long ... kind of hobbit feet ... only hands. 

I did read that she had some big rings on that might make clapping painful.  But it is weird looking.  I was sure it was CGI or something. 

I thought it was a good show.  I don't think Beatty was feeble.  I think he was naturally confused.  The name "La La Land" was there, and what would YOU do if you were on stage and the world was watching you?  I don't know if a mistake like that has ever happened before on the Academy Awards, so that specific thought (of it being completely the wrong movie) probably wasn't running through his head.  It was more the thought of, "Why is Emma Stone's name on here too?"  I'm not good at making quick, split second decisions.  I don't know what I would have done!  Probably handed it Faye Dunaway.  :)

Too bad it happened.  But live and learn.

• Like 3

I never watch the Oscars.  I haven't seen any of the films that were up for best picture.  The last movie I saw was when I took my 4 y/o to see Monster Truck.  Not exactly award material!.

That said, I saw a clip of what happened and I thought the cast of the losing movie handled themselves very gracefully.