Menu

ADHD med concerns -update 3/15

I agree with the above. Meds for us only got him to the point to be ready to learn methods to cope with life. It didn't make the behavior go away because it had become his habit. He had learned that volatility worked. . . and before meds he was unteachable. Now that his brain is slowed down, he can stop and think and learn ways to cope. When the proper motivators are in place, he CAN stop himself and make better choices, use what words he has, breathe, etc, instead of scream and hit. Meds have helped him be ready to learn. Now, we are working with his behavior therapist closely and he is making great strides. She is soooo good with him. I highly recommend finding someone to help you from the behavior end.

• Like 3

Kids react for a reason. While some parents/ therapists may use motivators to get the desired behavior, it is not the appropriate or even desirable approach for every family.

Finding the source that causes the behaviors is the first step, I feel. Ultimately though, the most effective strategies are those that the child finds for himself with coaching and support.

I think it is useful to step back and think, these are not bad children that want to act out. They are kids that need our help and support.

Edited by Guest

OhE, I saw your post and quite frankly I am puzzled. I am not slamming anything. I wrapped my brain around ABA long before your son was diagnosed. But all that has nothing to do with it. It is unfair to constantly be pushing our way of thinking on others just because we made a certain choice for our own child. Especially when we are trying to guilt or persuade others into it as being the *only right way*.

I'm happy your son has done so well with ABA! I'm happy to hear that about anyone's child, regardless of approach! I take issue when we try to tell people our way is the only way and that they are not doing the best for their child if they are not using our approach.

My point is that the stuff you describe IS in ABA. You were specifically implying that it was coercive to use motivators, terrible, terrible, and yet you then said your goal was to have people do it for themselves and admitted they need SUPPORT to get there. So, hello, back to ABA. 

OhE, I am not going to engage you in this because I am not looking to argue. My unedited post is there for everyone to see. If you choose to view it as ABA, that is entirely up to you. I base my opinions on research, not the opinions of strangers on a public forum. I just let the information speak for itself by sharing some sources. I am not looking to persuade anyone. Just to inform.

I have no sword in this battle, as I feel like each kiddo is sooooo unique that it isn't advice, but information. Chew the meat, spit out the bones. However, I fail to see how motivators are a bad thing. We all use them. I do. . . when I finish this lecture I will have a cup of coffee. When I finish this load of laundry I will go for a walk. We also use visual supports. . . whether we think we do or not. We have put in place a system to reward good behavior. . . it has visual supports, it uses motivators to remind him what he is working toward. He knows how to react, and he can appropriately. There are consequences when he does not. He is rewarded when he uses coping skills to handle his anger and anxiety, which reinforces appropriate choices in the future. And the supports are eventually lifted as his brain makes new pathways. If you want to call this ABA, so be it. Our BT is PLAY trained, but she uses all kinds of techniques from all kinds of philosophical bents from 30 years working behavior support for people with developmental disabilities. She is always telling me that there should be a blend of approaches specific for each child, for they are all unique. One size does not fit all. I think there is wisdom in this.

• Like 3

I have gotten burned by being really, maybe not against, but not for, some things that turned out to be really good fits and appropriate for my son two years down the road.

There are a lot of things that were bad for him when he was newly diagnosed, that are not bad for him anymore.

It is a huge adjustment to have to make sometimes.

• Like 3

The OP has a 9 yr old child that does not have an autism diagnosis. I'm still unclear why this form of behavior therapy is being pushed as a one size fits all for everyone.

This is for the OP.

https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/attention-deficit-hyperactivity-disorder-adhd/index.shtml

And in case it is not obvious, OhE, it's all in the approach. That’s where some therapies differ.

You can continue to debate. I don't have anything further to add or prove.

Edited by Guest