Menu

Need different reading curriculum for child without reading struggles

My 5 year old (she will be six in 2 months) is ready to begin AAR 2, but I would like to do a different reading curriculum with her. I love AAR, but my Dd8 is a struggling reader and is currently at the same level. Dd8 is making comments about how Dd5 knows more and is smarter than her. The only thing I can think of is changing Dd5's reading curriculum so the fact that they are on the same level isn't so apparent. Am I right in thinking this or is there another solution? If so, can someone suggest a reading curriculum for my younger Dd? I don't want to break the bank, but I am used to the scriptedness and thoroughness of AAR.

Not in a similar situation, but agreeing with OhE. If AAR is working well for your 5 yr old, why change to something that she might not like as much, even if it does work well for her? To avoid comparisons altogether, it would sound more reasonable to find something that works better for the 8 yr old.

Perhaps you could start a new thread to get ideas for the 8 yr old, before deciding.

Edited by Guest

I would try syllables with your 8 year old, after a bit of work you get to "4th grade level words" then up to 12th grade level words but easy to sound out since they are broken up into syllables. All free to print. The higher grade level words are motivational for a struggling student.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/syllablesspellsu.html

ETA: Especially since you have one who is struggling and one who isn't, but good to look into for anyone with a student having trouble, try to figure out and fix the underlying reason for the problem, my dyslexia page has ideas.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/dyslexia.html

Edited by ElizabethB
  • Like 2

I don't disagree with others' idea that maybe it's your 8yo whose reading program could change...

But to your original question - Logic of English Foundations is another phonics program worth looking at - especially for a 5yo.  It's in 4 levels - A - D. You'd need the teacher's manual (about $40) and workbook (about $20) and a set of phonogram cards.  It's less expensive than AAR, but it has less "stuff."  Lots of movement-based games/activities in each lesson - good for younger kids.  If your dd did AAR 1, she'd probably be at about LOE B. 

• Like 2

Not like the 8 yo isn't going to figure out that the 5 yo is reading better than her, even in a different curriculum.

I was thinking this too--switching one or the other may relieve some of the pressure if 8 yo is worried about the youngest passing her up in AAR--but she'll still know that reading comes easier to the 5 yo, and I think you need to consider how to address that too.

I’d emphasize that everyone has areas of gifting, and think about the areas of gifting your oldest has–allow her to shine in those areas and build her up in those areas. I encourage my kids that we are to help each other when we can, to build each other up, and that we don’t use each others weaknesses to poke fun.

Something I tell my kids is that there is always someone who is better than you at something–and always someone who is not as good.  Comparing ourselves to others is not healthy.  Instead, compare yourself to yourself–am I learning, making progress, growing, beating a previous goal or record?  Hey, that’s worth celebrating!  And we all should celebrate those things for each other.

Also let her know that some children do learn to read early, and they can become excellent readers. Other children learn to read at older ages, and they can become excellent readers. So, let her know you think they will both be excellent readers no matter what age they are when they learn to read certain words. 
  • Like 2