Menu

No online privacy... why do teens not get this???

Anne in CA

Tomorrow I get to have a fun talk with dd AGAIN about how you really do not have privacy online no matter how many safeguards you think you have put up. GRRR. Also, I don't know why anyone would think they have any privacy anymore. Privacy is an illusion!!! DD went to a friend's birthday party last night and they took a bunch of pics they shouldn't and put them on Instagram in accounts they think are secret. Not so much.

Tomorrow I get to have a fun talk with dd AGAIN about how you really do not have privacy online no matter how many safeguards you think you have put up. GRRR. Also, I don't know why anyone would think they have any privacy anymore. Privacy is an illusion!!! DD went to a friend's birthday party last night and they took a bunch of pics they shouldn't and put them on Instagram in accounts they think are secret. Not so much.

Who were they posting to?

Sorry I know these teens can get themselves in such trouble.

I respectfully suggest that you inform all the parents . . . Parents really often just don't know . . . and I think this sort of thing is one of those "it takes a village" situations, in which everyone, especially those kids, would be better off if all the parents shared data so you can help guide the kids into safer behaviors.

BTDT, kids are idiots. (((hugs))) 

• Like 6

I wonder sometimes if the issue is more that they don't really care about privacy.

I think they didn't realise how many strangers on the internet could see their photos and postings if privacy settings weren't set correctly. Even then there is data breach. My kids were amazed at what can be seen by strangers on Facebook and Instagram.

I respectfully suggest that you inform all the parents . . Parents really often just don't know . . . and I think this sort of thing is one of those "it takes a village" situations, in which everyone, especially those kids, would be better off if all the parents shared data so you can help guide the kids into safer behaviors. (((hugs)))

I agree. Especially with tagging and face recognition software improving faster than ever, it is harder to stay private on social media.

Let me just add that you should tell your dd that even if Instagram / FB and whatever have some privacy settings, most semi-literate computer geeks can break into an account inside of one minute. It's therefore best to operate by the rule: Don't post anything that you would not be hanging on a public bulletin board in your hometown.

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 2

They were just posting to each other, but dd left her instagram up on my phone so I saw, and I know if I can other people can too. One of those girls took a bunch of really naughty pics and her dad would be unglued.

You need to screen shot and send to her dad. He has the right to know.

• Like 3

I respectfully suggest that you inform all the parents . . . Parents really often just don't know . . . and I think this sort of thing is one of those "it takes a village" situations, in which everyone, especially those kids, would be better off if all the parents shared data so you can help guide the kids into safer behaviors.

BTDT, kids are idiots. (((hugs)))

Absolutely. All parents should be informed. And my kid would lose her IG account and phone for a while.

• Like 2

My nieces posted a vulgar post and I screen shot it and sent to my sister who I knew was already asleep. The next a.m at 6 she texted me.....nice, so proud. :/ girls lost their phone for a while. And our step sister saw it and told our dad.....my sister was so embarrassed.

This stuff happens a lot.

• Like 2

I don't think having it on her phone & sending it her dad is a good idea?  

Only because if it's vulgar, then they could both be in trouble for distributing or having sexual pictures of children on their devices?

Someone here might have more info about whether this could get them in trouble?

edited to add - I posted at the same time as kand.  

Edited by clementine

People need to be careful with pictures.

I have a friend who lives in Brooklyn, NY.  She posted a picture of her cat sitting in the 2nd story window.  Outside of the window was the street name sign.  So, I looked up Brooklyn, NY and the street name and used Google to find her street and her building.  I could see the other buildings outside of it, the trees lining the street, her building, her window.  Anyone online could do the same, so she may as well have posted her address for us all to see.

And then another friend did the same thing: first day of school, kids standing outside at her corner house so the street signs had both street names; a crossroads.  Again, I could find her house on Google--pictures of it, the car in the driveway, etc. 

I'm suuuuper careful now about what is in the background of pictures that I post online if I don't want strangers knowing where I live.

• Like 2

People need to be careful with pictures.

I have a friend who lives in Brooklyn, NY. She posted a picture of her cat sitting in the 2nd story window. Outside of the window was the street name sign. So, I looked up Brooklyn, NY and the street name and used Google to find her street and her building. I could see the other buildings outside of it, the trees lining the street, her building, her window. Anyone online could do the same, so she may as well have posted her address for us all to see.

And then another friend did the same thing: first day of school, kids standing outside at her corner house so the street signs had both street names; a crossroads. Again, I could find her house on Google--pictures of it, the car in the driveway, etc.

I'm suuuuper careful now about what is in the background of pictures that I post online if I don't want strangers knowing where I live.

Ok, honest question. What harm is there in knowing someone's address? All our city property records are online; Google my last name and you can see what property I own in about 5 seconds. It doesn't concern me.

• Like 3

Ok, honest question. What harm is there in knowing someone's address? All our city property records are online; Google my last name and you can see what property I own in about 5 seconds. It doesn't concern me.

This is all easily available online, as are political donations and the like. That's not really considered sensitive information from an online security standpoint.

I was thinking more of young teens posting ways for anyone who is viewing their picture to find them.  You hear stories of people pretending to be teens online but really they're adults looking for victims.  I wasn't thinking of moms posting on Facebook as much as young teens thinking they're anonymous online and no one knows their name or address, so they're safe.  But then they post pictures with street signs and now anyone can find them.  

They were just posting to each other, but dd left her instagram up on my phone so I saw, and I know if I can other people can too. One of those girls took a bunch of really naughty pics and her dad would be unglued.

Did you screen shot it, so she will know you have it and now have the ability to share it at will? (Not that you would, but that you could.)

One of mine blocked me on his twitter account years ago. So I couldn't access him through my own twitter account, right? Well, all I had to do was sign out of twitter, go to my web browser and enter his twitter handle in a google search - something anyone could do - and I could see every tweet. He was totally baffled that when I would randomly mention something he'd tweeted. I never did tell him how I did it. He was so focused on the tree of twitter that he missed the forest of the greater World Wide Web.

• Like 2

Let me just add that you should tell your dd that even if Instagram / FB and whatever have some privacy settings, most semi-literate computer geeks can break into an account inside of one minute. It's therefore best to operate by the rule: Don't post anything that you would not be hanging on a public bulletin board in your hometown.

Or that you would attach to a job application