Menu

Hospital Bag and Postpartum Must Haves?

sangtarah

We are planning on a birth center birth (others were at hospitals), and I have a pretty good idea of what to take there, but the average release time is 4-6 hours after birth, so I need to have some supplies on hand at home.

If you have experience with this, what were your must-have items to take? What to have at home for postpartum care?

I have had 4 homebirths. 

Things I have for postpartum use: Depends (I vastly prefer them to the mesh underwear and enormous pads for the first few days), Chux pads, nursing supplies (pillow, snacks, water bottle), lanolin, ibuprofen, stool softeners

Your midwife/practitioner should have a list of things as well.

• Like 1

Thanks! Great suggestions on the Depends and the "padsicles" - I hadn't heard that before. Is miralax considered a stool softner, or is there another type that is better?

What about food during labor, or for afterward?

If I birth at the birthing center, we will need to provide snacks/food for during labor, and a good, hearty meal for afterwards. I'm not sure how to provide a good hearty meal when we aren't at home, and have no idea how long labor will last. They have a small kitchen with a microwave. We have a slow cooker, and an instant pot that we haven't used much. I thought maybe if it is daytime, someone could bring us a meal, but if it's the middle of the night, I'm stumped. I am surely not going to be thinking of cooking!

I never could have eaten a "hardy meal" after giving birth - I mostly just wanted a nap!

But - if you need to bring one, how about sandwiches or wraps and fruit?  These can be assembled quickly by someone else (DH?) on your way out the door and can sit for hours at room temps.

Afterease or motherwort tincture for afterpains. Worked far better for me than tylenol and ibuprofen. Take 1/2 to 1 dropper under the tongue before nursing, and make sure your bladder is empty too. Motherwort had the added benefit of reducing bleeding noticeably (and I don't bleed a lot anyway, but it was noticeably less while taking the motherwort).

I like to have a can of healthy soup after a birth.

f I birth at the birthing center, we will need to provide snacks/food for during labor, and a good, hearty meal for afterwards. I'm not sure how to provide a good hearty meal when we aren't at home, and have no idea how long labor will last. They have a small kitchen with a microwave. We have a slow cooker, and an instant pot that we haven't used much. I thought maybe if it is daytime, someone could bring us a meal, but if it's the middle of the night, I'm stumped. I am surely not going to be thinking of cooking!

I think they phrase it badly. "Good hearty meal" has implications of some wholesome fresh-cooked made-from-scratch multiple course dinner.

In reality, you just need something adequate to eat. Get some decent-quality microwavable frozen dinners and call it good.