Menu

Supplements for mild anxiety and depression

Moxie

I think it might depend on the cause of the depression? Not sure about that.

Omega-3 supplements really help mitigate my PMDD-caused depression and anxiety.

As a side note: 5-HTP can be contraindicated in people with heart disease. There's not a study (I think) 'proving' this, but there has been some writing about how too much 5 HTP can raise serotonin levels too high, which may lead to heart valve damage & scarring. (I used to take 5htp, and am pretty sure it caused some damage my cardiologist is treating. I was not taking a large dose.)

• Like 2

A couple of options:

Licorice root tea or capsules for depression.

The dean of my herbal school also recommends blending up a whole pineapple (minus outer parts of course) with some vanilla added in. Blend into a smoothie and drink. St John's Wort works for that too. It best not to take it you live in sunny location as it can increase photo sensitivity.

I think it might depend on the cause of the depression? Not sure about that.

Omega-3 supplements really help mitigate my PMDD-caused depression and anxiety.

As a side note: 5-HTP can be contraindicated in people with heart disease. There's not a study (I think) 'proving' this, but there has been some writing about how too much 5 HTP can raise serotonin levels too high, which may lead to heart valve damage & scarring. (I used to take 5htp, and am pretty sure it caused some damage my cardiologist is treating. I was not taking a large dose.)

Thank you for posting this. I am not currently taking it, but have in the past and was about to start up again. I've had a recent unexplained jump in my blood pressure and heart rate, now controlled with medication.  I think I'll skip the 5Htp.

Anxiety.

Douglas labs ashwaghanda 1200mg. Combined with pure encapsulation bacopa monerii - 2 capsules.

Split the dose. Amazing for two of mine.

I use 5htp for both depression and anxiety. I take 2x the dose on the bottle, with my Dr's suggestion.

Gaba is also helpful for situational anxiety - take it beforehand.