Menu

What did you learn today?

poppy

I was looking for a business in my small town and both the internet and Siri gave me the wrong address (Each gave a totally different location, too!) but a man with a large bird on his shoulder gave me excellent directions to the business, which was about 4 miles away.  Technology isn't always what it's cracked up to be. 

• Like 6

I learned more than I *EVER* wanted to know about the "source-filter theory of speech". :rolleyes:

Did I mention that I *HATE* my Speech Science class? :ack2: It's my last required course standing in the way between me and my 2nd bachelor's so I've got to keep pushing through but it's torture!

• Like 4

I didn't learn something new so much as hone up on a skill that I haven't used in a long time. I had to check ds's calculus in plotting trajectory for the full scale model. RockSim estimates based on some inputted criteria, but actually doing the math by hand turns out to be much more accurate due to default settings in the software that are difficult to change.

I have not done that kind of calculus in a LOOOOOOOOOOONG time! My, my, my how slow I am when stale my brain becomes.

• Like 1

I learned that it really is better to avoid some people. Not because they are horrible, but because seeing them opens up old wounds. Clean breaks are rough but better in the end. 

:grouphug:  Right there with you. I'm a slow learner...I'm like Charlie Brown and my 'person' keeps pulling the football out from under me.  

• Like 3

I learned from an adjuster that came to our house to check our claims on damaged furniture (during a move) that I could 'milk paint' my table into something totally stylish and gorgeous. Of course, I have no time or money to actually take on this endeavor, but I enjoyed hearing about how my ratty old table could be made beautiful. Plus, I had never heard of milk paint. :)

• Like 3

I learned from an adjuster that came to our house to check our claims on damaged furniture (during a move) that I could 'milk paint' my table into something totally stylish and gorgeous. Of course, I have no time or money to actually take on this endeavor, but I enjoyed hearing about how my ratty old table could be made beautiful. Plus, I had never heard of milk paint. :)

I love it that your adjuster shared this idea with you!

• Like 2

I learned that Freed pointe shoes are all hand made and that each individual maker has their own style so if your DD likes Freed pointe shoes they may have to try on dozens to get the right fit and that they will go through them more quickly than other pointe shoes.

Foturnately, the fitter was telling this to another girl, my DD got Russians but we're having a very hard time finding a proper fit. 😟

• Like 2

:grouphug: Right there with you. I'm a slow learner...I'm like Charlie Brown and my 'person' keeps pulling the football out from under me.

Just when you think the fence is mended... my person knocked out a big stretch of it this week. I really thought the relationship was going along smoothly, but AGAIN a breech of trust and boundaries.

Sorry for the tangent, OP. I learned that if you put a tired recipe away long enough, it will look good again.

• Like 2

That no matter how many times I try, chocolate really does not make things better.

But I'm not ready to give up the effort. It took quite a few chocolate chips to go through a stack of cookbooks I've collected since newlywed days. I did manage to clear the shelves pretty well.

Edited by Seasider
  • Like 2

I (re)learned several things to do with computers that I had forgotten since I don't do them very often.

But I also learned that the staff at our local humane society go out of their way to not be welcoming when you come in with children.  It's bizarre but I've taken the kids there on multiple occasions over the years, met all sorts of different volunteers and paid employees and they all give you the cold shoulder when you are there with kids.  The other local animal rescues are delighted to see you on the other hand.

Alright, my DH NEEDS to know how you learned this

This is the quote, from D'arcy Wretzky , quote is from 1993 to Washington Post:

"The name of the band is a stupid name, a dumb bad joke and a bad idea, OK?"

she says. "Billy named the band before there even was a band. He was like, 'I'm

gonna have a band and it's gonna be called this.' 'Smashing' is not a verb,

it's an adjective. It's not like we like to smash pumpkins or anything. And we

are not amused by pumpkin jokes anymore."

I learned it by Googling it. 

Then I googled another band name I was curious about.

Turns out the answer is incredibly dark and terrible (WWII related).

So I stopped Googling band names.

• Like 3

That echidnas are really good swimmers, they even go down to the ocean for a bath.

So in reflection, that echidna that ds13 found at the beach and "rescued" picking it up (with difficulty) and carrying way up the sand dunes to the vegetation line had probably been slowly waddling down to the beach for a week looking forward to a swim.

• Like 5

I learned about retirees who buy campers and live in them, moving around when they feel like it.  They don't own homes, just the campers and maybe a car which they tow with the camper.  Hmmm ....

Some friends of ours are planning to do that when they retire in a few years. I asked where they plan to store their stuff like family heirlooms and they plan to leave boxes of stuff with their two adult kids.  Dh and I were talking about how our kids have enough of their own stuff and it's pretty gutsy to just demand that the kids permanently store your stuff. 

I'm all for downsizing but that's a bit much for me. 

• Like 1

I, unfortunately, learned today about the death of another Fox news person who died- both Brenda Buckner of Bulls and Bears died earlier this week and today Alan Colmes. Yes, he was a liberal but I liked hearing him anyway. Both died too young- Brenda from cancer and Alan from a brief illness.  Then to top off bad news, I learned that a local newscaster I like has been diagnosed with cancer which was found when he went to the ER because of a gallstone attack.  On the pleasant side, I learned that Itea is already blooming in my neighborhood and that most of the magnolias are past blooming.

• Like 3

I learned that my nephew was taught today how to draw weed using polar functions in his college calc class.

Sounds like that professor would've gotten along well with my organic chemistry professor. My prof wrote an exam question where he gave us the chemical structure for Sudafed and the chemical structure for meth and asked us to transform the former into the latter in 6 or fewer steps. :scared:

When Breaking Bad came out years later it did make me wonder if any of the screenwriters had happened to have taken a class from this particular professor...

• Like 6

I learned that the little lever at the end of caulking gun, when unclicked, keeps the caulk from oozing out all over in between lines of caulk.

Also, I learned how to use a pressure washer.

I have been asking DH to show me how to use the pressure washer for ten years. He's so weirdly possessive about that darn thing. My sidewalks and patio look awful! Just let me use it, honey!

Share what you learned today. Does not need to be profound.

Today I learned in the band name Smashing Pumpkins, "Smashing" is an adjective, and not a verb.  

Whoooaaaa.   You just blew my mind.  O.O

Today I learned that hens may try to "mate" with other hens, particularly in a rooster-less flock.

Edited by CES2005
  • Like 1

I learned that our new pup, 9 mos old, can dig a gigantic hole if left unsupervised for as little as two minutes. Our yard is full of craters.

The plus side to this is she found the pvc pipe that was previously used to route electric to another building. We were hoping to use it again, so that's a good find!

I learned that Goodie Girl makes a Gluten Free Mint Slim that is just as good ,if not better, than its Girl Scout equivalent. I also learned that it's quite easy to eat 6 of said cookies without realizing it.

I think the Goodie Girl cookies are much better and I've tasted them both recently.

I learned that it can be hard to convince a surveyor to survey a private property to establish boundaries with encroaching neighbors.  (Not my land, but a relative's.)

I learned that Nut-Thins come in a mini size.

I learned how to use a new government web-based reporting tool.

I learned about a birth and a death that happened almost simultaneously to a fellow scout mom.  (Her dad died and baby was born almost the same day.)

Some friends of ours are planning to do that when they retire in a few years. I asked where they plan to store their stuff like family heirlooms and they plan to leave boxes of stuff with their two adult kids. Dh and I were talking about how our kids have enough of their own stuff and it's pretty gutsy to just demand that the kids permanently store your stuff.

I'm all for downsizing but that's a bit much for me.

Ya! I have a relative who thought her kids should have to store ALL of their things in case they didn't like the lifestyle and wanted to buy a house again. She and her hubby got quite perturbed when their adult kids said no.

• Like 1