Menu

Continuation of my 1 bath thread. No dishwasher.

sassenach

In addition to never having lived with 1 bath (thanks, btw, to all who responded- I'm feeling much better about it), the house that we're hoping to get has no dishwasher. This is something else I've only gone without for very short periods in my life. It's been a long time.

So please, hit me with your advice. Is there a system that works for managing dishes? I feel like our family produces a LOT of dishes. I run the washer 1-2 times a day. Part of that is the homeschooling thing. We use dishes for 3 meals, plus snacks, plus all of ds14's hobbit meals.

• Like 1

When we had no dishwasher, we had a dishpan rule:

Place a dishpan beside the sink. Dirty dishes get rinsed and placed in the dishpan as you go, and the sink must remain empty. (Do not allow stacking of dirty dishes on the counter outside of the dishpan.)

When the dishpan is full, lift it into the sink, add soap and hot water, and wash that panful. It will only take moments, because that's not too many dishes. Wash the counter, wash the dishpan, and put it back on the counter.

• Like 10

We are a family of 7, only 6 using dishes at the moment, and haven't had a dishwasher in 6 years. The key is to wash dishes once the meal is over. The second those dishes hit the sink someone is washing them, usually me but if dh is home he'll do them. If they are just simple things like plates and utensils my 8 year old can wash them. Half the time I have someone next to me drying and putting away as I clean, my 4 year old can do this well. Or the dishes get put away right before the next meal is started. If for some reason there are dishes in the sink before starting a meal I do them and then start a meal. Or I wash dishes as the meal is cooking if I don't need to supervise it. 5 minutes 3 times a day is all it generally takes to keep the dishes moving

• Like 5

I wish dishes about 3 times a day.  Right after lunch, as I am fixing supper, and after supper.   I always wash as I go when I am baking or cooking.   I will wash breakfast dishes if I actually cook something.  But if we just eat toast for breakfast, I don't both with washing those plates right away.

• Like 4

We did that for awhile, and eventually decided for us, a portable dishwasher was what we wanted. Found one in good shape used that hooks up to the sink for water. It had a fake butcher block type top, so it was useful as extra prep space when we moved it off to the side when we weren't running it.

Erica in OR

• Like 7

We hand wash dishes and usually cook one pot meals. My two boys just wash their own cups, bowls and plates and put them in the dish drying rack. We use this IKEA expandable dish drainer, bought for $2 from their as-is area http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50314300/

We do have a dishwasher, no one wants to use it. Our extended family all handwash dishes too so any relatives who stay over just wash their own dishes. I have two pots so I could use one for lunch and one for dinner without rushing to wash my lunch pot.

• Like 1

One thing that will help is that everyone gets ONE cup. I have sharpied names on our acrylic tumblers because (even with a dishwasher) it was absurd. My dd's friends think its hilarious! If you drink milk and want a fresh cup for Tea, too bad, wash it.

My 9 yo washes dishes and has been for a few years now, so everyone can wash them.

Also, snacks like chips, crackers, etc. can go on a paper towel on the counter or on your hand.

And if you get sick and get behind have a stash of paper plates.

• Like 3

You could buy some inexpensive color coded tableware and require everone to wash (and dry and put away!!!) the items they use. Noncompliance gets busted because you can tell who the dishes belong to.

I thought I'd use my dishwasher less as the older kids spent more time away from home. Truth is, i just run it less often and put in things I did by hand before when there wasn't room for them - pots and bakeware.

ETA all that to say I would really miss my dishwasher!

Edited by Seasider
  • Like 1

Is there room where one could be added, or a space where a portable one could go.  No to all of the above would be a deal breaker for me.  I run 3-4 loads in the dishwasher a day.  No way am I willing to hand wash that many dishes (also my skin is really sensitive and the rashes and dry skin I get are totally not worth the effort to handwash).  If the house is perfect otherwise, I would be brainstorming ways to rectify this.

• Like 2

I was going to suggest the portable DW option, too.  You could obviously live without a DW, though, and there are tons of ways to manage that - I'm partial to the color-coded dishes thing - but if it gets old, maybe you could find room for a portable, and just roll it up to the sink to hook it up when you need to use it.

I would find a place it could go even if it meant sacrificing a cabinet to install it. Or I would buy a portable.  Either way, the day we closed, one or the other would be going in.

Even before we had kids, hubs and I figured out that hand washing dishes was not a thing we did.   Dishwasher, washing machine and dryer are all mandatory for us.

• Like 1

One thing that will help is that everyone gets ONE cup. I have sharpied names on our acrylic tumblers because (even with a dishwasher) it was absurd. My dd's friends think its hilarious! If you drink milk and want a fresh cup for Tea, too bad, wash it.

My 9 yo washes dishes and has been for a few years now, so everyone can wash them.

Also, snacks like chips, crackers, etc. can go on a paper towel on the counter or on your hand.

I agree with this.  

I've known families with dishwashers but many thirsty people who have done this.  

You can extend it to all regular dishes by getting a Fiesta color for each person.   

Also, teach the kids to wash dishes.   I remember using a kitchen chair to stand on to wash dinner dishes.   That had to have started before I was 8.5 because I remember the house and that was when we moved.  

We currently have a dishwasher, but we didn't for years. Each kid had their own cup, bowl, plate, and silverware. All kids preschool aged and above were responsible for their own dishes. I did cooking and communal dishes. Everyone ate together, because everyone making their own meals all the time made it impossible to keep up on the kitchen.

• Like 1

For those suggesting a portable dishwasher, I wonder, where do you store it when not in use? It must take up a fair amount of space. Personally I'd install a dishwasher and find a pretty China cabinet or sideboard to take the place of lost storage instead of having a big rolling appliance taking up floor space.

I have a dishwasher, but I hand wash at least 75% of the time.  When I get behind, my dh gets disgusted and loads the dishwasher.  Then I can't find anything.  

We got a little drainer that sits by the sink 24/7 and a draining pad by it.  I personally wash pans, dishes the minute I am done with them.  If everyone did this, it would be easy to keep up.  I have to admit, however, that I hate washing flatware, so I get behind on that.

Were I to be starting over, I would totally go with the color-coded dishes per person.  And the one-cup rule.  I have one cup I use for my coffee every day.  I rinse it out after use, and it sits by the sink.  My dad did this all his life--one glass by the sink, and he'd put it in the dishwasher stack about once a week.  That right there would be one way to cut down on dishes with a large family.  

Our former house had no dishwasher. We only had 2 young children at the time and DH traveled a lot, so I managed without one. When I became pregnant with our third, we ended up getting a portable dishwasher. That was wonderful!

Now our life situation is a lot different. We have a dishwasher now but if we were back in the spot where we didn't, I'd try really hard to not get behind and have an "all hands on deck" approach, i.e. nobody leaves the kitchen area until all have helped get the kitchen completely clean. The kids are much older--2 teens and a tween--so they can help out but they also eat a lot more. They also create more dishes randomly throughout the day as they grab snacks and such. If someone creates dirty dishes outside of mealtime, ideally that person is responsible for cleaning up and leaving the kitchen better than how they found it. If they don't have time to clean up after themselves, then they don't have time to eat something that dirties dishes. They'll need to grab a different, self-contained snack (raw fruit or veggies, sandwich eaten off of a paper towel, etc). I take that same approach when we have a day full of activities. I try not to fix a meal that dirties a lot of dishes when I know I have to run out the door right after to take the kids somewhere.

With all that said, I have dirty dishes in my sink at various times throughout the day on most days and don't feel bad about it. Okay, maybe a little bad. But I do try to finish each day with them all washed and either put away or in the drying rack. When everyone is getting ready for bed, I'll put on my headphones and listen to podcasts while I clean up. It's actually kind of relaxing and I've started to look forward to this time.

I missed the one bath thread, but we can (and have) do(ne) that with no issues whatsoever.  Our kids have only known one bath.

No dishwasher?  Dealbreaker if I'm planning on living there for more than a month.  When we moved to our current old house (been there 20 years now), I had hubby install a dishwasher taking out 1 1/2 cabinets next to the sink to do so.  We've had to replace it twice and went with eating out and/or mostly paper plates during interims.

I detest doing dishes.  My mom has a portable dishwasher for her place, so it might be genetic.

• Like 1

Even when we had a dishwasher, I would end up washing most dishes by hand.  I just don't find the dishwasher to be a convenient tool, and it was no problem for me to move to a place without.

Dirty dishes are just a part of life.  We have a family of four, and I cook.  I cook a LOT, most of our meals are exclusively home-prepared, and I am not a fan of one-pot cooking. So I make a lot of dishes, and I also don't tend to wash as I go.  Every once in a while I'll try doing that, but life is too short to be fretting about dishes after every meal and meal preparation.  On average I do dishes every other day.  I am able to do this because we have plenty of dishes!  I probably have at least 50 dinner plates- I guess I never really counted.  When a meal is done, the plates get stacked next to the sink, the silverware goes IN the sink.  Glasses and mugs go on the counter around the plates.  Bowls also stack.  Dirty pots and pans will stack up on the stove as needed.  

I am not a big fan of disposable dishes, but there was a season in life where most lunches were eaten on paper plates. 

I do the dishes in the mornings when the kids are doing their school work.  I set one rack on the counter, and a second rack in my second sink, and fill up the first sink with hot soapy water.  I always wash the plates first because that empties a nice piece of counter first, and they line up nicely in my drying rack.   Glasses and mugs go in the rack in the sink, and then everything else gets stacked up on the plates and glasses.  I do try really hard to not need to actually dry dishes- I prefer they drip dry.

I don't know.  Dishes are just part of life and I don't mind doing them.  

• Like 1

All the "one cup rule" responses are making me smile. We do this unofficially. While we don't have names on them each person gets a cup. When they look dirty, they get washed. 

I'm trying to train the kids to remember which one is theirs. But they don't currently care about sharing germs, so they just use whichever one is handy. 

But I am laughing because this drives my mom bonkers. When she visits, she puts all cups in the dishwasher after every meal (what a waste, imo). It drives me bonkers because then I can't find my cup and I have to go to cabinet to get another. It throws off my routine.

Yep, I am pretty sure this thread has officially convinced me to color code kid cups. Thanks, Hive.

• Like 2

I would agree with those that say dishpan in one side of the sink and the family rule is rinse your own dishes WHEN you put them in the sink.  That makes it so much easier when it comes time to wash.  I also am one who has a dishwasher, but will handwash after breakfast & lunch occasionally.  

• Like 1

All the "one cup rule" responses are making me smile. We do this unofficially. While we don't have names on them each person gets a cup. When they look dirty, they get washed. 

I'm trying to train the kids to remember which one is theirs. But they don't currently care about sharing germs, so they just use whichever one is handy. 

But I am laughing because this drives my mom bonkers. When she visits, she puts all cups in the dishwasher after every meal (what a waste, imo). It drives me bonkers because then I can't find my cup and I have to go to cabinet to get another. It throws off my routine.

Yep, I am pretty sure this thread has officially convinced me to color code kid cups. Thanks, Hive.

We don't use plastic so it was pretty hard to keep identifying whose cup was who.  Then I got the bright idea, I take the kid in need of glasses to goodwill, let them pick out a "set" of 2-4 matching glasses and that is theirs.  Each kid has they own unique color/style so everyone always knows whose cup is whose.  Only problem is DH will grab whatever cup out of the cupboard and confuse the rest of us but most of the time my plan works just fine. And when they break their set we go pick them up a new set for $1-2.

• Like 1

For those suggesting a portable dishwasher, I wonder, where do you store it when not in use? It must take up a fair amount of space. Personally I'd install a dishwasher and find a pretty China cabinet or sideboard to take the place of lost storage instead of having a big rolling appliance taking up floor space.

I've just had it in another part of the kitchen.  Right now it is in what is meant to be the regridgerator spece, because I was given a fridge that was too tall for it.

It isn't all wasted spece, the top is usually like a counter so you can use it for something - food prep would be easy, or I have my cutlery on there in jars.  And you can still hand shelves or a cupboard above.

• Like 1

Wherever there's floor space out of the way. Or anywhere in the kitchen for the time being--very easy to move elsewhere. I too prefer a built in but in the two places we lived where we purchased one, it was not our house (church parsonages).

Erica in OR

• Like 1

In our house we had a pass-through area where there was a half-wall but no cabinets. I think the previous owner might have had a small temporary storage cabinet there. That's where we kept the portable dishwasher when not in use. The dishwasher had a countertop-type shelf on the top so it came in handy for prep space in our tiny kitchen. It kind of functioned like a moveable island or cart that could also wash dishes. :) The way the kitchen was set up and how the water line was installed, there was no way to install a standard dishwasher. We eventually were able to install a dishwasher but only after completely remodeling and reconfiguring the entire space.

• Like 1

For the first 15 years of our marriage, we had no dishwasher.  Four years ago, we got our first ever dishwasher.  I will never go back. We save 2 hours per day of labor with that thing, at least.  So, my advice is get a dishwasher, even a portable one if you have to.

I am convinced that what I experienced in our first week of owning a dishwasher is what my grandmother experienced getting an automatic clothes washer and not having to hand scrub laundry with a washboard anymore.  Life changing.

• Like 3

We''ve never had a dishwasher. Well, except for the 5 I gave birth to! Everyone just pitches in, including sils and significant others. My mil had one of those portable ones--what a pain--in the middle of the floor, tying up the sink. By the time you rinse, load the thing, hook it up, etc. you can just WASH the stupid dishes! Washing by hand uses so much less water, if you count all the rinsing before loading the DW.

We never rinse our dishes.  Washing dishes to put them in the dishwasher makes no sense to me. We just scrape them off and load them. No problems.

• Like 1

Is it that there is no space to put a dishwasher? My in-laws had an older kitchen, and the dishwasher lived off in a corner, it was the kind that rolled over close to the sink and a hose was attached to run a wash. They had no space for an under-the-counter model.

We will probably redo the kitchen within a year. In the meantime...

we haven't had a dishwasher in 7+ years. I don't mind in the least. I wash all the dishes before bed, and also sometimes before dinner if I'm going out right after dinner.

I do have a hands free phone. Whenever I do dishes , or another brainless chore I call someone and chat. It makes the time fly.

When we had no dishwasher, we had a dishpan rule:

Place a dishpan beside the sink. Dirty dishes get rinsed and placed in the dishpan as you go, and the sink must remain empty. (Do not allow stacking of dirty dishes on the counter outside of the dishpan.)

When the dishpan is full, lift it into the sink, add soap and hot water, and wash that panful. It will only take moments, because that's not too many dishes. Wash the counter, wash the dishpan, and put it back on the counter.

I love this idea.

• Like 1

We have a dishwasher that is almost worthless.  Everything has to be washed before it goes in.  I use it for the hot rinse and drying feature and sometimes do a combination of washing by hand completely and putting some things in the terrible horrible no good dishwasher.  

My kids go through waaaay too many glasses.  Sometimes I get enough and insist they get a designated reusable water bottle and use it all day.  They do for a few days and then go back to their old ways.  

I would much rather do without a dishwasher than a 2nd bathroom.

I would have to have a dishwasher, too. I hate disposable dishes. My days are packed enough without having to hand wash dishes after every meal. I would, and have, gone with a dishwasher for a short time. But I would be making arrangements to get one installed asap.

• Like 1

Yup. We use drinkbands for that.

http://www.drinkbands.com/mobile/Section.aspx?code=featured

Things like divided plates also help. That way each person isn't using five different dishes ;)

Edited by Arctic Mama

I don't have a system other than someone washes the breakfast dishes after breakfast, the lunch dishes after lunch and the dinner dishes after dinner. 

Just as it is entirely possible to live a happy and meaningful life with only one bathroom, so one survives without a dishwasher. 

THANK YOU. 

Ya'll, if I could afford a 2 bath, dishwasher stocked house, I would buy it. But I can't, so I'm asking for some advice.

• Like 6

In addition to never having lived with 1 bath (thanks, btw, to all who responded- I'm feeling much better about it), the house that we're hoping to get has no dishwasher. This is something else I've only gone without for very short periods in my life. It's been a long time.

So please, hit me with your advice. Is there a system that works for managing dishes? I feel like our family produces a LOT of dishes. I run the washer 1-2 times a day. Part of that is the homeschooling thing. We use dishes for 3 meals, plus snacks, plus all of ds14's hobbit meals.

Everyone gets one (1) glass or cup to use each day (and maybe one small plate). He/she is responsible to rinse it out and set it on the counter. Use a different color for each person.

No free-range eating. There are three meals a day, after which the kitchen is immediately cleaned. Only snacks such as fruit are allowed.

During meal prep, wash/clean as you go along.

When you have finished washing the dishes, dry them and put them away. Right now. And then put the dish drainer away. Also the dish detergent, sponge, scrubbies, everything. They just clutter up the sink area.

• Like 1

We have gone years without a dishwasher. Honestly, a dishwasher may be higher on my list than a second bathroom. I love, love, love having a dishwasher.

I'm the exact opposite. I have a dishwasher and don't use it.

But there is no way in hades I'd live with less than two toilets.

• Like 1

We also don't have a dishwasher. We had one for 3 years in a rental.

Honestly, I used to curse the stupid thing and felt like I spent more time rinsing, packing perfectly, repacking, swearing at the stupid machine for not working properly and then unpacking. I could have just washed the things by hand and been done.

We are not getting one when we build. I don't want one. I spend about half an hour a day doing all the dishes in one go, I listen to an audio book or podcast and actually find it quite peaceful and satisfying. Gotta find those simple pleasures... or I may well have lost my mind.

• Like 3