MarkT

Empress Bee

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2617 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 10:32 AM

CTC MATH

FYI

The Middle and High School level courses are divided into 4 parts which could be used as quarters for pacing.

See lesson plans:

https://www.ctcmath...._us_lessons.xls

#103 OneStepAtATime

OneStepAtATime

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33154 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 10:08 AM

Thanks MarkT.  I am trying to browse back through this thread and see if I missed anything that needs linking to the first page.  If anyone wants to add anything, feel free.  Reviews would be great.  I am going to update a couple of my reviews...

I also wanted to ask if people could post regarding schools that offer one semester classes for the Spring (or Winter as Open Tent Academy calls it).  I know that Excelsior and Open Tent Academy both offer courses for the Spring/Winter but I am sure others do, too.  

#104 RootAnn

RootAnn

* Certified Crazy Lady *

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7073 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 05:16 PM

I updated a post on the bottom of the first page with my review (so far) of Coram Deo's Intro to Essay Writing class.

Reserving this post for my review (once DD gets her final grade in a couple weeks!) of Lukeion's Advanced Composition and Research Writing class that was brand new this fall semester (2017).

Edited to add my review of Lukeion's Composition and Research class.

This class was brand new & offered for the first time in Fall of 2017. It is recommended for those working at the 11th & 12th grade level and was taught by Randee Baty.

The purpose of the class, according to the syllabus, was to "help you understand what makes good academic writing and to help your writing become stronger, faster, more efficient, and more academic in form and tone." In the first nine weeks, the kids wrote six papers of various types (narrative, descriptive, extended definition, etc.). Three of those papers received teacher feedback before the final draft had to be turned in. One was commented on by two peers before the final draft was turned in, and two had no draft versions. They also were responsible for discussion posts based on teacher prompts on the one book they read (Hound of the Baskervilles) during the middle of the course. During the last seven weeks (two of those weeks were holidays & had no class meeting), they were responsible for writing a compare and contrast paper and a research paper - both of which had rough drafts commented on by the teacher.

Pros (for us)

- This class wrote a lot of papers.

Cons (for us)

- Teacher feedback (for us) was minimal - both on the rough draft and with the final grade. There was rarely any specific feedback. Mostly, it was general things like, "use more examples" and "your tone is too casual for an academic paper."

- Grading took a long time (3-4 weeks usually - while two to three other papers were turned in)

- Teaching was "lecture style" in a once-per-week one hour live meeting with very little student interaction (outside of the chat box) = very easy to tune out. If you wanted to rewatch, you had to request access to the password vs. it just being available to view a section again if you didn't catch it the first time. 

If you aren't a very good writer, I'm not sure this class will get you there with the minimal feedback and honestly, minimal hands-on teaching. If you are already a good writer, I'm not sure what this class will do for you, either. DD is somewhere in the middle. She found out that she can, indeed, write a 3-4 page paper in less than an hour and still get a decent grade. (As her mom, I was glad to see she could churn out a paper in a short period of time, but not so sure I wanted her to get a good grade on her sloppy work. It was a mixed blessing.)

I don't know what level of writers were in the class or what the grading was like (hard? easy? middle?), so it is difficult to know what the teacher was seeing and grading on (vs. my daughter's papers).

I did see one glowing review of the class on another site, so someone got something out of the class. So, your mileage may vary!

Edited by RootAnn, 18 December 2017 - 11:41 AM.

• nansk, TarynB, OneStepAtATime and 1 other like this

#105 MarkT

MarkT

Empress Bee

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2617 posts

Posted 25 December 2017 - 04:07 AM

for HS Dual Enrollment  (especially MD based folks) this may be of interest:

https://www.homescho...sources/ccbcmd/

#106 TarynB

TarynB

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1361 posts

Posted 25 December 2017 - 11:16 PM

I updated a post on the bottom of the first page with my review (so far) of Coram Deo's Intro to Essay Writing class.

Reserving this post for my review (once DD gets her final grade in a couple weeks!) of Lukeion's Advanced Composition and Research Writing class that was brand new this fall semester (2017).

Edited to add my review of Lukeion's Composition and Research class.

This class was brand new & offered for the first time in Fall of 2017. It is recommended for those working at the 11th & 12th grade level and was taught by Randee Baty.

The purpose of the class, according to the syllabus, was to "help you understand what makes good academic writing and to help your writing become stronger, faster, more efficient, and more academic in form and tone." In the first nine weeks, the kids wrote six papers of various types (narrative, descriptive, extended definition, etc.). Three of those papers received teacher feedback before the final draft had to be turned in. One was commented on by two peers before the final draft was turned in, and two had no draft versions. They also were responsible for discussion posts based on teacher prompts on the one book they read (Hound of the Baskervilles) during the middle of the course. During the last seven weeks (two of those weeks were holidays & had no class meeting), they were responsible for writing a compare and contrast paper and a research paper - both of which had rough drafts commented on by the teacher.

Pros (for us)

- This class wrote a lot of papers.

Cons (for us)

- Teacher feedback (for us) was minimal - both on the rough draft and with the final grade. There was rarely any specific feedback. Mostly, it was general things like, "use more examples" and "your tone is too casual for an academic paper."

- Grading took a long time (3-4 weeks usually - while two to three other papers were turned in)

- Teaching was "lecture style" in a once-per-week one hour live meeting with very little student interaction (outside of the chat box) = very easy to tune out. If you wanted to rewatch, you had to request access to the password vs. it just being available to view a section again if you didn't catch it the first time. 

If you aren't a very good writer, I'm not sure this class will get you there with the minimal feedback and honestly, minimal hands-on teaching. If you are already a good writer, I'm not sure what this class will do for you, either. DD is somewhere in the middle. She found out that she can, indeed, write a 3-4 page paper in less than an hour and still get a decent grade. (As her mom, I was glad to see she could churn out a paper in a short period of time, but not so sure I wanted her to get a good grade on her sloppy work. It was a mixed blessing.)

I don't know what level of writers were in the class or what the grading was like (hard? easy? middle?), so it is difficult to know what the teacher was seeing and grading on (vs. my daughter's papers).

I did see one glowing review of the class on another site, so someone got something out of the class. So, your mileage may vary!

RootAnn, I'm so glad you linked to this updated review post in another thread. I saw it when you first posted but I had missed the update until today. Thank you for sharing your DD's experience with the new-this-year Lukeion class.

• RootAnn and OneStepAtATime like this