Menu

Back to homeschool next year. 1st grade curric help

Mom in High Heels

So, my younger son will be ready for 1st grade this coming fall.  It's been a few years since I've done this, and AGES since I did 1st grade.  Help!

Han Solo (not his real name!) loves learning, and is very inquisitive.  Books are his thing, and he's working so hard to learn to read.  Yay!  He doesn't show any signs of dyslexia, thank goodness, which I'm hoping will make it a bit easier than it was with Indy (also not his real name).  He's a hands on learner, and loves to do activities, but HATES coloring, cutting, and pasting.  Weird, right? He's big into math, and has been doing simple addition and subtraction in his head for quite a while. Any thoughts on curriculum for a busy kid?

We are secular homeschoolers, BTW.

• Like 2

MBTP is pretty hands on and there are lots of options for projects. It's probably too much to do everything, but it's lots of applied learning. A lot of the stuff feels like husyworkto my kids who would rather be efficient and do the minimum, though. Does he not like busywork? Then maybe do quick & simple curriculum and let him play more.

But for hands on stuff besides MBTP:

Right Start Math

Math in Focus

Usborne Science Activities books

Evan-Moor Read and Understand Stories & Activities for LA (really cute & fun)

No advice, but WELCOME BACK, High Heels!  :hurray:

We have missed you so much! I'm glad you're back and, even though you're here for business, I hope you wander over to the Diogenes Club (Social Forum) soon. 

High Heels back on the boards. All is right with the world! :)

Edited by Angie in VA
  • Like 4

Sing, Spell, Read, and Write is engaging and fun. It covers phonics and penmanship.

Story of the World!

There's some great Magic School Bus stuff out there for science. Schedules, experiment kits and so on. My little guy thinks the kits are the kewlest thing ever.

"The baby" here will be full size 1st grade next school year. He'll turn 7 at the end of summer and he's reading pretty well now. He's not really a crafty fan either, but it's good for midline issues so I do push a little at him. Here's what I'm planning on for him.

-daily copywork, no formal program

-finish SSRW level 1 at his speed, and pick up a spelling book when it's done

-steady pile of good picture books to read to me and I'll read aloud to him

-Horizons math (not secular)

-Story of the World/VP combo history tagging along with 4th grade sister (he just listens to the read alouds and does the easiest assignments)

-geography tbd, very strong interest, books to read, games, map related workbooks, and such

-science is interest led and cobbled together on the fly, when he's not doing everything he can get his hands on about something like magnets I have a stack of nature books we read together

I'm hesitant to start First Language Lessons. He won't need half of the repetition and he'll fly ahead. I think I'll wait until closer to 2nd grade and do the whole 1/2 book then. I'll do some intro grammar orally through his copywork.

• Like 1

So, my younger son will be ready for 1st grade this coming fall.  It's been a few years since I've done this, and AGES since I did 1st grade.  Help!

Han Solo (not his real name!) loves learning, and is very inquisitive.  Books are his thing, and he's working so hard to learn to read.  Yay!  He doesn't show any signs of dyslexia, thank goodness, which I'm hoping will make it a bit easier than it was with Indy (also not his real name).  He's a hands on learner, and loves to do activities, but HATES coloring, cutting, and pasting.  Weird, right? He's big into math, and has been doing simple addition and subtraction in his head for quite a while. Any thoughts on curriculum for a busy kid?

We are secular homeschoolers, BTW.

Spalding for English skills (learning to read and spell, penmanship, capitalization and punctuation, simple writing)

Story of the World for history

Usborne books for science

Whatever you want for math, lol. My favorite primary math series is Christian, so maybe not your cup of tea :-) But maybe y'all would like Mathematics Made Meaningful, which uses Cuisenaire rods and comes with a set of task cards that you lead him through.

And yes, welcome back!

• Like 1

MBTP is pretty hands on and there are lots of options for projects. It's probably too much to do everything, but it's lots of applied learning. A lot of the stuff feels like husyworkto my kids who would rather be efficient and do the minimum, though. Does he not like busywork? Then maybe do quick & simple curriculum and let him play more.

But for hands on stuff besides MBTP:

Right Start Math

Math in Focus

Usborne Science Activities books

Evan-Moor Read and Understand Stories & Activities for LA (really cute & fun)

You're going to have to help me out.  I've forgotten all my acronyms.  What's MBTP?

I think Moving Beyond the Page is new since you were here last.  

Nah, it's been around for years. I had friends using it 6-7 years ago.

Anyway, it's a project-based curriculum, with three-week units that are thematic. Here is the link for the "first grade" level (although they go by age ranges - this is 6-8).

"Get your hands dirty investigating solids and liquids. Create your own animal and describe how its design aids in its survival. Develop an appreciation for cultures by reading "Cinderella" stories from around the world. Dress like a pirate and go on a "Measure Hunt". Practice math skills at a "Home Carnival".

In the 6-8 year-old curriculum, your child will explore all subject areas using a hands-on and investigative approach. Oftentimes, homeschoolers are only taught reading, writing, and math during the early years, but a truly comprehensive curriculum will expose them to science and social studies as well. These subjects can be the most engaging and exciting for a young child. The curriculum is also filled with quality literature to enjoy with your child."

Welcome back!

I'd definitely do some Singapore Math with c rods or an abacus.

Story of the World

Mystery Science and lots of library books (or just lots of library books)

FLL/WWE

Spelling Workout and/or phonics (Ordinary Parents?)

But we are pretty happy with the WTM sequence at that stage.