Menu

How do you "Deemphasize IEW's 'dressup' exercises?"

OrganicMom

How do you "Deemphasize IEW's 'dress-up' exercises?"  Or, does the child create better flowing sentences and paragraphs on their own over the years with IEW? Do the problems with stilted writing take care of themselves over a longer amount of time with IEW?

I have no experience with IEW writing. I have only heard that as a strong recommendation, multiple times. I am choosing to use IEW as our method of learning writing, if it works for us. I will be beginning with TWW and SWI-B with a 5th/6th grader level this summer. I intend, as of now, to follow the progression of IEW levels to the end, and I also have a 3rd grader that will be following those steps. 

I am also insecure about teaching writing. I am also learning how to improve my own writing and learn what I never did. So, I genuinely ask, must I deemphasize the dress-ups, and spend time teaching differently, and if so, HOW. Or does deemphasize, mean skip them altogether? And do dress-ups mean any and all ways to limit the children's word usage? 

We are using Hake Grammar, and I have Killgallon elementary ready to go, but I can also purchase the middle school levels too, to use later, or now, if this helps??

Thank you in advance! I need a doable plan for all of writing for both of my kids, and after much consideration, I believe, I have chosen IEW to fit that bill... but I want to be at peace about my concerns that I have received from others. 

Edited by OrganicMom

Think of it as scales. For about 3 years, you practice the scales and at some point they become internalized.

IEW says to drop the checklists after 3 years.

Neither of my oldest 3 have stilted writing b/c of IEW.  My second oldest has always written naturally.  My oldest, who did the most IEW, now has a very nice style and getting an A in his AP  English Language class.

IEW, honestly, saved the day in our house.  I can't recommend it highly enough, particularly for reluctant writers and Moms who need a place to start learning how to teach writing

Do not de-emphasize at this point. As the years go on, emphasize a variety of sentence openers and strong verbs and nouns.  Right now--trust the system.  It works. 

In my experience, the Moms who complain are never the ones who stuck with it.  Yes, it is stilted at first.  But the awareness it raises for a variety of sentences and strong words is priceless for non-natural writers.

And it builds confidence in kids and Moms.  My oldest went from wailing about writing at 9 to writing for "fun" now in high school and considering a Communications major.

• Like 11

The scales analogy is excellent. Yes, the sentences seem forced and weird at times, but they end up with more fluent and descriptive writing.

I taught paid IEW classes using the history-based books and TWSS for a decade and frequently got sentences like this: "Smoothly, the boy slept." I'd ask them to explain how one sleeps smoothly, and they'd say that they meant that they weren't moving. And we'd try to figure out another word that was better. And frankly I don't like adverbs at the beginning of sentences, but you are teaching them to put words in different places in sentences. I also taught them shades of different meanings when you move the adverb around. That's a bit beyond IEW, but I felt like it was important.

So yes, do the three years or maybe a little more and move on. Both of my kids (college sophomore and 12th) are outstanding writers. But both of mine got extremely frustrated when outside classes used the IEW history-based books past the three year mark. They were very comfortable with structure and words and wanted to focus on really expressing themselves well. The basic IEW programs at the level you're talking about don't do much of that.

Edited by G5052
  • Like 6

Don't de-emphasize right now.  The scales analogy really is a good one.

Work with the system and over time the skills will internalize and become more flexible, more organic, especially as you move past the initial writing program.  IEW encompasses many levels/layers.  You are starting with the first level which helps create the framework, the scaffolding for everything else.

IEW is great for many kids that struggle with getting thoughts on paper, organizing their thoughts, understanding what is important in a passage, etc and it is great for parents who are not intuitive when teaching writing.  It does seem formulaic and stilted to many and it is in a way but it is helping to create a framework for writing that many kids simply do not have the internal skills to create on their own.  Once that framework is established then more creative writing is much easier.  They are no longer struggling simply to even get words on the page.  It also helps kids to analyze what they are reading, to understand the key points, which can help them to then put their own ideas and key points into a better framework, make their own writing make more sense.

Not everyone needs that explicit framework/scaffolding but for those that do need it, it can be a HUGE help.  As for IEW limiting a child's word usage, actually the beginning writing program first helps a child to focus on the main points of a writing passage.  For many kids this is a really hard step.  ALL words in the passage may seem important.  Once they can figure out what the key points are, then they can figure out how to write about those key points but they now need to get better at adding in more words to help fill out those key points and make them have more depth and meaning and interest.  IEW helps a student go step by step through that process, breaking down writing and building it back up.  It isn't trying to stifle writing.  It is trying to help create a framework from which better writing can occur.  Again, though, not everyone needs that kind of writing instruction.  I didn't.  My kids did.

I also agree that a lot of people I hear complaining about IEW have either never actually used it, or only used part of the starting program (didn't continue) or actually didn't need this type of program in the first place, maybe because they and/or their kids are natural writers or they simply have a different learning style or whatever.  No writing program is perfect for every child.  That's to be expected.

If you are uncomfortable teaching writing, this may very well help.  

I also highly recommend A Word Write Now if it doesn't automatically come with the IEW program you are buying.  Super helpful resource!!!!

And if your kids choose to do some additional writing on their own for fun, please, I strongly recommend that you NOT try to force IEW/other writing rules on them.  Let them write as they choose to for fun.  If they come to you for help, help as far as they are interested but let them develop their own voice.  IEW has been a huge help for DD in her writing.  She needed that scaffolding 100%.  But when she is writing for pleasure I don't correct anything unless she asks for my input.  When she does ask, we discuss different approaches, we talk about different words and their meaning, etc. and if she asks we also work on correcting spelling/grammar/punctuation but we do it as a team, not as me correcting her.  She is far more willing to write and to hone skills and does better at incorporating better writing techniques over the long haul if she isn't feeling like every.single.thing. she writes is going to be corrected and critiqued and micromanaged.  Now she writes all the time and enjoys it.  Her writing has improved 10 fold in both assignments and fun writing.

I rambled a bit.  Anyway, best wishes and good luck.   :)

Edited by OneStepAtATime
  • Like 7

Such beautiful words! I have a feeling I will be looking at this post often. I like that you recommended, "A Word Right Now." Thank you!!

I have been ill, and we have had two big moves in the last few years. So, we have been a bit behind. I'm wondering if I should begin with the SWI-A, instead of B? But still with the teachers videos, too... I had considered bringing my son in the mix, but he is still learning to read, at about AAR level 2, even though he is 8, about to turn 9 in May. I was thinking I would stay with WWE with him for now, while i learn the method, and teach my oldest. she is supposed to be beginning 6th grade, we plan to school year round this year to slowly...yet consistently "catch-up." Any other advice on what to buy along with or what to use after... I'm all ears!

Well... one more thing... I have a lot of teacher intensive subjects right now. I don't want to feel guilty that... well, I want to be realy that it just takes TIME to learn these fundamentals, and that is OK to take that time, in manageable steps with the kids. and not compare hours of school to others. I'm looking at our schedule coming this year, we will begin in July and it seems we will be schooling in two 3-4 hour blocks of school. Not all of it is intense work, though. Many subjects are alternating with writing, or computer, fun, or more disciplined work, and much of the time is read alouds or hands on science, geography fun, latin songs, etc... 8 hours a day schooling, mainly for my oldest 4-5, maybe 6 times a week. FEELS like a lot...but when i look at what it actually is... it isn't...and we still have hours of balanced life, social, exercise, laughs and free time...So, when I have decided now is the time to make the decision of a formal writing program... (which is already included in those blocks of time - maybe 30-60 mintues a day 5x a week) I have to prepare myself, and say it is OK, it is just the time for this. Am I wrong?

Such beautiful words! I have a feeling I will be looking at this post often. I like that you recommended, "A Word Right Now." Thank you!!

I have been ill, and we have had two big moves in the last few years. So, we have been a bit behind. I'm wondering if I should begin with the SWI-A, instead of B? But still with the teachers videos, too... I had considered bringing my son in the mix, but he is still learning to read, at about AAR level 2, even though he is 8, about to turn 9 in May. I was thinking I would stay with WWE with him for now, while i learn the method, and teach my oldest. she is supposed to be beginning 6th grade, we plan to school year round this year to slowly...yet consistently "catch-up." Any other advice on what to buy along with or what to use after... I'm all ears!

Actually, if you already have SWI-B you should be fine with that for both children.  The reading selections are geared more for Middle School but the writing instruction is basically the same.  There will be different selections to choose from.  If you think one is too intense for your younger child you can substitute a different selection, perhaps from something in one of his other subjects.  The process will be the same.  The difference in A and B is really just the content.  SWI-A topics are simply more for younger kids.  (Level C is for High School and it it does have some differences, besides just content.).  If you want to wait to start your younger on it that's perfectly fine.  Just don't feel you have to purchase both A and B.  You don't.

Oh, such a good day today! I love it when we have breakthroughs in our schooling plans, and freedoms as teachers. Taking a load off, right now.

Yeah!

• Like 1

Well... one more thing... I have a lot of teacher intensive subjects right now. I don't want to feel guilty that... well, I want to be realy that it just takes TIME to learn these fundamentals, and that is OK to take that time, in manageable steps with the kids. and not compare hours of school to others. I'm looking at our schedule coming this year, we will begin in July and it seems we will be schooling in two 3-4 hour blocks of school. Not all of it is intense work, though. Many subjects are alternating with writing, or computer, fun, or more disciplined work, and much of the time is read alouds or hands on science, geography fun, latin songs, etc... 8 hours a day schooling, mainly for my oldest 4-5, maybe 6 times a week. FEELS like a lot...but when i look at what it actually is... it isn't...and we still have hours of balanced life, social, exercise, laughs and free time...So, when I have decided now is the time to make the decision of a formal writing program... (which is already included in those blocks of time - maybe 30-60 mintues a day 5x a week) I have to prepare myself, and say it is OK, it is just the time for this. Am I wrong?

You can take your time with SWI.  There is a scheduling system that helps you.  You can stretch it out or speed it up as needed, depending on your child and your other lessons.  Just look through the support materials and plot out a schedule that works for you.  Some days the video will be longer than others. on days it is longer, just watch the video on that day and start the writing assignment on the next day.  If the writing goes quickly, great.  If they need more time, that's fine too.  Take that time.  If you need to take two years to get through SWI, o.k.  Take those two years.  No worries.  :)

• Like 1

You can take your time with SWI.  There is a scheduling system that helps you.  You can stretch it out or speed it up as needed, depending on your child and your other lessons.  Just look through the support materials and plot out a schedule that works for you.  Some days the video will be longer than others. on days it is longer, just watch the video on that day and start the writing assignment on the next day.  If the writing goes quickly, great.  If they need more time, that's fine too.  Take that time.  If you need to take two years to get through SWI, o.k.  Take those two years.  No worries.   :)

I think I need that type of scheduling this year, instead of something where we HAVE to do every lesson within a certain time frame, even then we don't have to. 

Maybe I will just schedule writing times a certain number of times a week, or a certain amount of time a day, and we will just pick up wherever we have left off the last time, and take our time to enjoy it, together. 

Actually, if you already have SWI-B you should be fine with that for both children.  The reading selections are geared more for Middle School but the writing instruction is basically the same.  There will be different selections to choose from.  If you think one is too intense for your younger child you can substitute a different selection, perhaps from something in one of his other subjects.  The process will be the same.  The difference in A and B is really just the content.  SWI-A topics are simply more for younger kids.  (Level C is for High School and it it does have some differences, besides just content.).  If you want to wait to start your younger on it that's perfectly fine.  Just don't feel you have to purchase both A and B.  You don't.

Yeah!

O.K.

I have not purchased any SWI, yet. Actually i did purchase A a few years ago, but was not ready for formal writing within our time then, I was sick, so we sold it. 

So, now that I have decided to do SWI, etc... If I waited a year, for my son to become stronger as a reader, and in language arts skills, i could teach them both SWI-B, but now... i want my daughter to get to multiple levels if IEW. lol 

It would be a difference of 6 years of writing instruction vs. 7 years.... 

Here is why I suggest going with B, although you can certainly get A:  Your older child is 11, correct?  Regardless of actual reading ability, her areas of interest, base knowledge, exposure to content subjects is probably expanding.  She may do fine with A but really B will have content material that is closer to her age.  The writing techniques are the same.  It is the writing selections they would be working from that will change.  

If you feel that she would do better with reading selections geared towards a younger child, however, then certainly A would work.  You can always add in selections that are closer to Middle School level as you move through the program.

• Like 2

Here is why I suggest going with B, although you can certainly get A:  Your older child is 11, correct?  Regardless of actual reading ability, her areas of interest, base knowledge, exposure to content subjects is probably expanding.  She may do fine with A but really B will have content material that is closer to her age.  The writing techniques are the same.  It is the writing selections they would be working from that will change.  

If you feel that she would do better with reading selections geared towards a younger child, however, then certainly A would work.  You can always add in selections that are closer to Middle School level as you move through the program.

Well said. Thank you for clarifying! That makes sense...I will have to consider those reasons. 

• Like 1

I don't know if this applies to your particular situation at all but I thought I would also mention something I discovered with my own kids.  They both were late readers (dyslexic) but they actually were perfectly capable of understanding more advanced vocabulary/concepts/stories/grammar that was read to them.  It was made very clear to me that holding them back by only exposing them to reading material at the level they could successfully decode on their own was doing them a tremendous disservice.  Their reading skills needed to be worked on separately.  Pleasure reading/content reading needed to be through sources that were closer to their intellectual level, not their reading level.  That meant lots of read alouds and audio books and documentaries for older kids/adults.  Just thought I would share this in case it helped you in any way.

• Like 2

How this would translate for a writing program like IEW would be that if a child was capable of understanding the written material if someone read it to them vs. reading it themselves (in other words if decoding/fluency skills are behind comprehension skills), then it is perfectly fine to read it to them as they follow along.  Extract the key words together on a dry erase board.  For the rewrite then you could even scribe for them if that helps facilitate the lessons.  After they have finished working with you on their rough draft they can copy the final version from the dictated version.

• Like 2

Another thing to keep in mind - if the number of "dress-ups" in a checklist become daunting, modify the checklist by crossing off an item (or more than one item).  In a classroom setting, it is not unusual for students to be working with personalized checklists. If you stick with the program they will get practice with every part many times, so don't stress over a particular item. Andrew Pudewa stresses "easy +1" which means all the practiced elements should be easy for the student and then you add on one more challenging element at a time.

To gain the reassurance you need as a teacher, #1 - watch the TWSS videos. You don't need to watch them all at once - just stay ahead of your kids...but you do need to watch.  #2 - listen to IEW podcasts and webinars - they are encouraging!

• Like 4

Another thing to keep in mind - if the number of "dress-ups" in a checklist become daunting, modify the checklist by crossing off an item (or more than one item).  In a classroom setting, it is not unusual for students to be working with personalized checklists. If you stick with the program they will get practice with every part many times, so don't stress over a particular item. Andrew Pudewa stresses "easy +1" which means all the practiced elements should be easy for the student and then you add on one more challenging element at a time.

To gain the reassurance you need as a teacher, #1 - watch the TWSS videos. You don't need to watch them all at once - just stay ahead of your kids...but you do need to watch.  #2 - listen to IEW podcasts and webinars - they are encouraging!

Oh, this is wonderful! Thank you. I'm considering buying the set in advance, at least a bit to get a few videos ahead. Good advice on the podcasts, etc, I will find them. I feel that if i can get the picture of where we are headed, i have more confidence in the now. 

• Like 1

Is IEW a good curriculum track for any major or field? i.e. even the sciences? (vs. the arts)

Yes.  It is a writing curriculum.  It teaches writing skills that can be applied across different content/subject areas.

FWIW, if your student has a particular interest in the sciences there are science based theme writing books that allow you to use writing selections from that particular subject.  There are also history and geography and literature themed writing programs.  They are all still based off of TWSS/SWI.

http://iew.com/taxonomy/term/8/?f[0]=im_field_grade_level%3A8&f[1]=im_field_category%3A18

• Like 2

Think of it as scales. For about 3 years, you practice the scales and at some point they become internalized.

IEW says to drop the checklists after 3 years.

Neither of my oldest 3 have stilted writing b/c of IEW. My second oldest has always written naturally. My oldest, who did the most IEW, now has a very nice style and getting an A in his AP English Language class.

IEW, honestly, saved the day in our house. I can't recommend it highly enough, particularly for reluctant writers and Moms who need a place to start learning how to teach writing

Do not de-emphasize at this point. As the years go on, emphasize a variety of sentence openers and strong verbs and nouns. Right now--trust the system. It works.

In my experience, the Moms who complain are never the ones who stuck with it. Yes, it is stilted at first. But the awareness it raises for a variety of sentences and strong words is priceless for non-natural writers.

And it builds confidence in kids and Moms. My oldest went from wailing about writing at 9 to writing for "fun" now in high school and considering a Communications major.

This is great info. I've just started SWI-b with my 11yo. Would you say that you need to stick with IEW for three years to reap the benefits? I was originally thinking of using it as sort of a filler till my son was ready for WWS, but maybe I should plan on sticking with it for at least three years? Edited by vaquitita
  • Like 1

This is great info. I've just started SWI-b with my 11yo. Would you say that you need to stick with IEW for three years to reap the benefits? I was originally thinking of using it as sorry if a filler till my son was ready for WWS, but maybe I should plan on sticking with it for at least three years?

Previously, I had had the same thoughts. I was just wanting to get to WWS.

are there benefits to still using WWE BEFORE IEW? hearing some of this makes me want to start with IEW sooner with my younger one, instead of waiting... this whole post is. BUT not sure yet.

I think there is. I plan to keep my younger ones doing ELTL (or WWE) until 5/6th. And I've been watching the TWSS videos and in answer to a question put to him he says to do lots of copy work and then IEW. I know they make a SWI for elementary kids, but I think it's more logic stage skills.

• Like 1

Previously, I had had the same thoughts. I was just wanting to get to WWS.

Eldest has used IEW for less than 2 years. He went from unwilling writing to being able to write 5+ page essays that get compliments from two English teachers. He isn't a great natural writer. But he does well. 

Even if I stop IEW now, it has been worth it. 

Writing is currently his least favorite topic. But he does it. 

• Like 4

I think there is. I plan to keep my younger ones doing ELTL (or WWE) until 5/6th. And I've been watching the TWSS videos and in answer to a question put to him he says to do lots of copy work and then IEW. I know they make a SWI for elementary kids, but I think it's more logic stage skills.

ooh! this is good information to have. That is what my daughter has done. WWE 1-2, and then lots of copywork. Dictation exercises... she did some of them in hake, but would memorize them almost instantly for prepared dictation, and she holds what she wants to say in her mind for a long time, so, I just have her do daily copywork for now before her hake grammar lessons, and she does some free write/journals until i was deciding on the next writing plan. We had tried a few other writing books and resources, but they just weren't working. 

Eldest has used IEW for less than 2 years. He went from unwilling writing to being able to write 5+ page essays that get compliments from two English teachers. He isn't a great natural writer. But he does well. 

Even if I stop IEW now, it has been worth it. 

Writing is currently his least favorite topic. But he does it. 

:ohmy:  :thumbup: Wow!

:ohmy:  :thumbup: Wow!

Henry the 8th, the First Protestant King

Two beheadings out of six wives is just too many for most kings, but not for Henry the 8th, King of England and Ireland. Born on June 28th, 1491, Henry the 8th was second in line for the English throne. During his 38 year reign, Henry the 8th went from a well loved young lad to a 320 pound angry smelly ogre. Many songs have been written about  him and his six wives. Strangely enough, he is not very well remembered for his greatest act, the one that plunged England into religious wars for centuries.

Starting out live as a healthy sturdy child helped Henry become popular. But today people remember him as a 320 pound orge with horrible stinky infected legs. At the time if you talked about any of that either your ears were cut off, or you were burnt at the stake. At the age of 44 Henry competed in his last joust. He was so fat that he needed a specially built platform to mount his horse. When the joust began the opponent only needed a tiny poke of his lance to topple the king off his mount. The horse rolled over him and cut a giant gash in his good leg and knocked him unconscious. Eleven years after his last joust, at the age of 55, Henry died due to an infected leg and obesity complications.

Divorced, beheaded, died, divorced, beheaded, survived, is the sad story of HenryĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s six wives. Beyond his gross ogre like stature Henry is most remembered for his six wives. Catherine of Aragon was married to HenryĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s older brother Arthur. After Arthur died, Henry became king and married Catherine, who begot him only one daughter in 23 years of marriage. Henry divorced Catherine because of this.  Next Henry married Anne Boleyn who only begot him yet another a daughter, named Elizabeth for that reason and others he executed her. HenryĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s favorite wife, Jane Seymour died 2 weeks after giving birth to HenryĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s only legitimate son Edward. When Henry first saw his next wife, Anne of Cleves, he declared to Thomas Cromwell, Ă¢â‚¬Å“You have sent me a flanders mare,Ă¢â‚¬ and divorced her as quickly as possible. He executed his 5th wife Catherine Howard for committing adultery. His last wife, Catherine Parr convinced him to restore his daughters to the line of succession, Then outlived him by a year.

The reason he went through so many wives was in hopes of producing a legitimate heir, and a backup just in case. After being married to Catherine of Aragon for 23 years and only getting a daughter he tried to divorce her, But the pope said, Ă¢â‚¬Å“No!Ă¢â‚¬ The reason he had to ask the popeĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s permission to divorce Catherine was because the pope was head of the Catholic church, and Henry and all of England was Catholic. So Henry decided to leave the Catholic church and founded the Church of England, and made himself its supreme head. He then permitted himself to divorce Catherine. The creation of the Church of England bolstered a growing protestant movement within the county, and plunged England into religious wars for hundreds of years to come.

Henry died on January 1547, from complications of his jousting accident. At his funeral his body exploded in a gooey mess which was licked up by dogs, but the remaining bits of it were buried beside his favorite wife, Jane Seymour. All three of his children begot from different wives each had a turn ruling England. Starting the Church of England and Anglicanism was HenryĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s greatest and most destructive act. His children and all others fought over if England should be Protestant or Catholic, and many people died due to the fighting.

Edited by Julie Smith
  • Like 3

Is IEW a good curriculum track for any major or field? i.e. even the sciences? (vs. the arts)

Writing is VERY important for nearly every field.

I was in scientific research for ten years and then did five years in the federal government as a program manager and policy analyst. When I was in research, frankly I wasn't a superstar by any means. But I know how to write good proposals, handle technical papers, and write letters to keep those who provided my funding to keep them apprised. In my last job I even got into speech-writing and Congressional testimony for government officials on technical topics because I was one of the few people in my area who could interview the technical experts and then write a speech that worked for someone with no technical background. It didn't even have to be in an area that I fully understood, but I "spoke" technical and could get the ideas down.

My son is a sophomore accounting major and has had multiple business classes where he has had to write opinion papers and research papers. And he always breezes through that. Just this week he interviewed a CPA who is the CFO in a small company on career-related matters and had to write a paper and put together a PowerPoint presentation on what he learned. He asked her which classes other than accounting were most useful for her work. And she said writing and literature! She said that she has to be able to communicate the financial issues in a way that others can understand.

• Like 2

Writing is VERY important for nearly every field.

I was in scientific research for ten years and then did five years in the federal government as a program manager and policy analyst. When I was in research, frankly I wasn't a superstar by any means. But I know how to write good proposals, handle technical papers, and write letters to keep those who provided my funding to keep them apprised. In my last job I even got into speech-writing and Congressional testimony for government officials on technical topics because I was one of the few people in my area who could interview the technical experts and then write a speech that worked for someone with no technical background. It didn't even have to be in an area that I fully understood, but I "spoke" technical and could get the ideas down.

My son is a sophomore accounting major and has had multiple business classes where he has had to write opinion papers and research papers. And he always breezes through that. Just this week he interviewed a CPA who is the CFO in a small company on career-related matters and had to write a paper and put together a PowerPoint presentation on what he learned. He asked her which classes other than accounting were most useful for her work. And she said writing and literature! She said that she has to be able to communicate the financial issues in a way that others can understand.

This gives me a good perspective. I'm learning all of this, a re-education for myself. I just got through high-school and some college, and didn't truly succeed in these areas, but I'm changing that now. I also want my children to become better communicators than I was. Thankfully homeschooling tools today, make that possible.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Henry the 8th, the First Protestant King

Two beheadings out of six wives is just too many for most kings, but not for Henry the 8th, King of England and Ireland. Born on June 28th, 1491, Henry the 8th was second in line for the English throne. During his 38 year reign, Henry the 8th went from a well loved young lad to a 320 pound angry smelly ogre. Many songs have been written about him and his six wives. Strangely enough, he is not very well remembered for his greatest act, the one that plunged England into religious wars for centuries.

Starting out live as a healthy sturdy child helped Henry become popular. But today people remember him as a 320 pound orge with horrible stinky infected legs. At the time if you talked about any of that either your ears were cut off, or you were burnt at the stake. At the age of 44 Henry competed in his last joust. He was so fat that he needed a specially built platform to mount his horse. When the joust began the opponent only needed a tiny poke of his lance to topple the king off his mount. The horse rolled over him and cut a giant gash in his good leg and knocked him unconscious. Eleven years after his last joust, at the age of 55, Henry died due to an infected leg and obesity complications.

Divorced, beheaded, died, divorced, beheaded, survived, is the sad story of HenryĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s six wives. Beyond his gross ogre like stature Henry is most remembered for his six wives. Catherine of Aragon was married to HenryĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s older brother Arthur. After Arthur died, Henry became king and married Catherine, who begot him only one daughter in 23 years of marriage. Henry divorced Catherine because of this. Next Henry married Anne Boleyn who only begot him yet another a daughter, named Elizabeth for that reason and others he executed her. HenryĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s favorite wife, Jane Seymour died 2 weeks after giving birth to HenryĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s only legitimate son Edward. When Henry first saw his next wife, Anne of Cleves, he declared to Thomas Cromwell, Ă¢â‚¬Å“You have sent me a flanders mare,Ă¢â‚¬ and divorced her as quickly as possible. He executed his 5th wife Catherine Howard for committing adultery. His last wife, Catherine Parr convinced him to restore his daughters to the line of succession, Then outlived him by a year.

The reason he went through so many wives was in hopes of producing a legitimate heir, and a backup just in case. After being married to Catherine of Aragon for 23 years and only getting a daughter he tried to divorce her, But the pope said, Ă¢â‚¬Å“No!Ă¢â‚¬ The reason he had to ask the popeĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s permission to divorce Catherine was because the pope was head of the Catholic church, and Henry and all of England was Catholic. So Henry decided to leave the Catholic church and founded the Church of England, and made himself its supreme head. He then permitted himself to divorce Catherine. The creation of the Church of England bolstered a growing protestant movement within the county, and plunged England into religious wars for hundreds of years to come.

Henry died on January 1547, from complications of his jousting accident. At his funeral his body exploded in a gooey mess which was licked up by dogs, but the remaining bits of it were buried beside his favorite wife, Jane Seymour. All three of his children begot from different wives each had a turn ruling England. Starting the Church of England and Anglicanism was HenryĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s greatest and most destructive act. His children and all others fought over if England should be Protestant or Catholic, and many people died due to the fighting.

Great paper!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

When my children were starting out with IEW, I just did simple paragraphs the whole year. Unit 1 stuff. I added 3-4 dress ups only after the key word outlines were easier for them. I think there's a resource book IEW sells that only has simple paragraphs and other suggestions for other units. I don't use theme books for early grades. Just paragraphs.

Also, I agree with pp in that yes, the writing seems stilted and awkward, but they eventually internalize it and when you drop the checklists, those skills naturally get added in their regular writing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

You've gotten excellent info here, and I can't say anything better than has already been mentioned. But I want to second the recommendation for the podcast, and know that with the purchase of a program, you will have premium access for a year (you can pay yearly after to extend) which includes the monthly webinars, which are very helpful. On the live webinars you can ask any questions and Andrew or Julie will answer them. Of course if you can't make it you can access the recorded webinars. IEW offers a TON of support to parents. Take advantage of it. The programs are a big initial expense, but I personally feel they offer you more for that than any other writing program I've seen. If you're struggling to decide what to buy, or struggling with what you bought, pick up the phone and call their customer service center. Seriously. They're great.

I did also want to suggest perhaps purchasing a few of Andrew Pudewa's talks from the website, particularly Nurturing Competent Communicators, or the Deadly Errors of Teaching Writing. This might also help you with the decision if you like what you're hearing. Actually he has so many good ones it is hard to pick, but I think the podcasts and talks might put your mind at ease until you have time to watch the programs yourself. It really is a great program.

I love IEW.  If your kid is a natural writer with strong voice, great sentence fluency, and excellent word choice, they can still learn from the organization piece that IEW teaches so well.  My 6th grader is a fine writer, but we will still do one IEW book before moving on to Writing with Skill.  Every kid can learn a variety of ways to start a sentence- how to begin a sentence with a subordinate conjunction or adverb. How to add a variety of word choice to their writing.  An inexperienced writer might overuse these in a stilted way, but it is like training wheels.  They will be eventually taken off. With my littles I plan on starting IEW about mid third grade- doing just a tiny bit a week.  We'll do it in 4th and finish up in 5th. (My plan, but we will see how they develop.)  We are super excited to do the Rockets, Robotics and Radar book this year.  Super essay here we come! 

Edited by SRoss5
  • Like 3

I don't think there is a "right" answer to whether you need to stick with it for 3 years.  I don't think, if you stop  using IEW before 3 years you can say it doesn't work or it produces bad writing.  After the 3 years you see how well it worked

However, doing just one year is fine and will help any child with organizing and notetaking.  My second has only used IEW off and on (maybe 1 formal year) but benefited from what I learned teaching it. She is just a natural writer and "gets it" no matter what curriculum she uses.  My third, like my first, needed the structure and repetition in order to learn to write well.  IEW helped my boys to  relax and feel confident as a writer for the first time.  I'll never forget the first IEW lesson my oldest did at the end of fourth grade. This child literally cried over writing every time (and I had been a primary school teacher who inspired kids to write in my former life).  He watched the sample lesson, copied the notes Andrew P. told him to and then, and I'm not kidding, jumped up and said, "Mom, can I please go write this right now."  I think I cried that lesson.  Now, my third, did not love the video lessons an prefers that I teach the lessons myself, but he absolutely writes better and has more confidence from IEW

If you leave after a year and your child begins to falter, you will know you need to go back to it.  Or, you will have learned what works well and what to keep. I am teaching a middle school writing class to some children with whom I did IEW last year.  We aren't using checklists as much this year, but we do a lot of playing with sentences and have a no more than 2 of the same openers in a row.  We also use the key word outlines and fused outlines for certain projects and return to IEW methods when they are needed.  Most of these children have done 2-3 years of IEW.

• Like 4