Menu

s/o Did you file your tax return: What software do you use?

Lady Florida.

In the past I've used all of the big three - Turbotax, H&R Block, and Tax Act. In looking over reviews I see that Turbotax keeps increasing its fees but is still the easiest to use. 

So, what do you use and why? Is there some little known program that's just as good as (or better than) the well known ones?

I used both H&R Block and TurboTax.  I used Turbo Tax first, then switched to H &R Block when it was free to us and still worked with our situation and when our taxes got too complex, I went back to Turbo Tax for a year or two.  Eventually, even that program wasn't good enough for our tax situation and I moved over to using an accountant.  We actually simplified our return and it may be simple enough again to use TurboTax but we have decided to just keep using the accountant.  

If you are comfortable with taxes, I think using any of the programs is possible if you have a relatively simple return.  By that, I mean no small business, no farm, no strange investments that need weird forms, no out of country income.  I did use TurboTax with my small business my first year but then I went to the accountant and he informed me that I really should have never filed forms as a small business because what I really had was a hobby business where I was spending more than I made but simply mad a little to offset the hobby. If you have a small business or something else more complicated, I think Turbo Tax is more capable of handling more complex situations.  

• Like 1

TurboTax.  I search for the best discount for TurboTax each year and usually end up paying a total of about $25, including electronically filing.  That's worth it to me to make the chore as easy as possible.  Our taxes are relatively simple but TurboTax really helps in leading me through some of the tax credits (AOTC, Lifetime Learning, energy efficiency credits, etc.)

• Like 1

I used Tax Act a long time ago, tried Turbo Tax one year, and then went right back to Tax Act.  I just find it more user friendly, I guess.  It was a long time ago now, so I don't remember the exact why's.  I pay about $30 to do a heavy duty tax return (self-employed, ACA insurance, IRA/retirement, rental, kids/child care credit, lots of deductions, etc.).

Edited by milovany
  • Like 1

We use TurboTax and THEN send it to an accountant for certain parts (we have a permanent tricky issue that makes filing much more complicated that usual). TurboTax has been awesome for us, not just because of the ease of filing, but they were very helpful one year when we got audited and then this year there was a minor mistake in our taxes and TurboTax provided great support to get it worked out with the IRS. Highly recommend them. 

We have always used HRBlock.  We have a pretty complicated return, but have never had any problems.  We get the middle level, which allows us to file up to five returns.  It normally costs $44, but we get a $10 discount for some reason, making it $34.   The lower level costs less, of course, but we have two semi-grown children, and sometimes my mom, so it's nice to be able to file for everyone.