Menu

What is the point of pull-ups? (potty training) *poll added*

pinkmint

140 members have voted

1. 1. For potty training purposes pull-ups are:

• Useful
    • Not useful
    • Other

I am asking because I have a resistant potty trainer. He's almost 3. 

He is my 3rd child so I've been through this before but the thought of pull-ups crossed my mind even though I haven't used them. I don't really see what the point is. So it's basically disposable underwear? That's hard for them to actually "pull up" and down anyway? Does it make the parent feel better that their child is not technically in diapers anymore even though they're not really potty trained? 

Is there something I'm not realizing that would make trying pull-ups a good idea for us? 

Edited by pinkmint

I see the point of pullups in the child's ability to pull them down to use the potty, but still have the protection of a diaper if he can't make it in time/forgets.

A kid is not going to undo , and put back on, a regular diaper. And regular underwear wont protect against accidents. Pullups combine best of both worlds. They worked fine for my kids.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 23

I used them with one of my children very briefly. I did it because my child could manage to pull them down and up on their own. It was like training to be wearing undies but with a safety measure of being prepared in case of accidents, like not making it to the bathroom fast enough.

• Like 3

They will keep pants from getting wet, but aren't designed to feel dry inside. So there's the uncomfortable factor working. Plus yes, they are easier to get up and down for all those tries.

That's my understanding and experience.   Both my kids used them.  They seemed useful for the transition. 

Most young parents I know now go directly from diapers to underwear.   This has been problematic at times - for example, a child peeing on the floor of the church nursery (my personal experience).   Or at someone's home - though this has never happened to me, but I have heard of it.   Anyway, in my circles, it seems pullups are  not in fashion now. 

Edited by marbel

My three boys were resistant potty trainers. They just didn't care at all and were happy to wear diapers forever. I briefly tried just underwear and it was a disaster. PullUps were so very helpful to me. They could pull them on themselves, the little color changing thing in front helped them realize they peed, and I never had to clean up accidents. They worked as well as diapers- the Huggies ones at least. It was much cheaper to buy these than to be doing so much laundry and cleaning up messes. Amazon had the best prices.

My 3 year old girl pretty much potty trained herself and wears underwear now.

• Like 6

I dunno.  When my kid had pull ups on he just peed through the pull ups.  He also never pulled them up and down.  He just tore them off. 

I had one easy potty trainer and one who was crazy difficult to potty train.  I chalk it up to a personality difference.  I will say the difficult one I tried pull ups with and it was such a stupid useless experience I did not buy them with the second and he learned much more quickly.  Maybe it's completely unrelated, but I honestly didn't see the point of pull ups.

I don't know. They were enough like a diaper for my kids that they used them as such. I used them when we went out to avoid the "Now I have to clean the car seat phenomenon." and I'd sometimes use them for naps.

My kids just didn't get it that they were any different at all from a diaper.

I found those heavy weight cloth training pants were the best. Little dribbles were absorbed but they felt like real undies. They were very hard to find in the stores though.

• Like 5

I dunno.  When my kid had pull ups on he just peed through the pull ups.  He also never pulled them up and down.  He just tore them off. 

I had one easy potty trainer and one who was crazy difficult to potty train.  I chalk it up to a personality difference.  I will say the difficult one I tried pull ups with and it was such a stupid useless experience I did not buy them with the second and he learned much more quickly.  Maybe it's completely unrelated, but I honestly didn't see the point of pull ups.

It just may depend on the child. I used them for my potty resistant child and they worked perfectly.

• Like 5

I use them for my fourth, didn't for the others.  I use them because we are so much busier now than we were when the others potty trained, and having an accident while we're 2 hours from home is more complicated than when we are 5 minutes from home.  lol.  

Basically, ds 2.5 is in underwear when we're home, when we're not out for an entire day with only public bathrooms that might require "holding it" 15 minutes until we find one.  When we are out in a situation where holding it is a real possibility, I put him in a pull-up.  

And because I don't want to keep a stock of multiple types of diapers on hand, he also wears them at night.  

ETA:  I think the occaionsal pull-up use contributes to on-going accident issues due to confusion, so I really try to minimize the usage.  ds2.5 has taken by far the longest to get up to speed on potty use, but I'd still say he's 90% there now.

Edited by Monica_in_Switzerland
  • Like 3

We are currently using these:

https://www.amazon.com/Gerber-Sports-Training-Pants-Bundle/dp/B012U6XBQG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1487683986&sr=8-3&keywords=gerber+training+pants

(they are cheaper at Walmart)

To me, these are basically cloth pull-ups. They have padding in the crotch. But not so much padding that he thinks he's wearing a diaper when he goes. I'm just trying to figure out if a pull-up would do anything helpful in this situation where a child is not motivated to go in the potty. 

• Like 3

https://www.amazon.com/Gerber-Sports-Training-Pants-Bundle/dp/B012U6XBQG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1487683986&sr=8-3&keywords=gerber+training+pants

To me, these are basically cloth pull-ups. They have padding in the crotch. But not so much padding that he thinks he's wearing a diaper when he goes. I'm just trying to figure out if a pull-up would do anything helpful in this situation where a child is not motivated to go in the potty. 

Yeah that's what we used for my son. He too was VERY resistant. He wore nothing but a tshirt and undies for months and needed SO many reminders. Our family pictures from the time never have him wearing real pants and usually there's a dark circle where he'd dribbled on the front of his undies.

Thats yet one more reason that we stopped having kids. Potty training is the pits. And that boy really was resistant, even at age 3.5.

The pullups did not help my son. He'd pee in them every time because it wasn't a big deal. The inconvenience of having to change clothes motivated him a tiny bit but with a pullup that was eliminated.

• Like 1

Yeah my resistant kid could read before he could use the damn potty.  He is still like that though.  If he isn't interested or is just hell bent on not doing something there is nothing you can do.  He is stubborn.

I started telling him I was done and he'd have to change his own diaper.  It's all a blur in terms of how it actually happened.

• Like 1

Back when we started having kids training pants were pretty thick and seemed to be made of the same material as a pre folded diaper. Pee could leak through but not like it does with just plain underwear. When we'd go out of the house- shopping or something- we put what they called plastic pants over the training pants.  

We used disposable diapers when they were babies so I'm not sure why we didn't use Pull ups. I think because my sisters had kids and they used training pants. 

We use them when we leave the house. So much easier to potty in a public restroom when you can just pull them down and up again. When your 3 year old is still having accidents, they're nice to have. Yes, she views them as diapers and will use them as such. We never wear them at home.

• Like 3

Pull ups worked well here, but I agree with others I think it depends on the child and how they are used.  For my kids, especially DD, they were a really helpful interim step.  But she was in a 3k program so that might have been one reason.  She wasn't home all day long.  She was out and about a few days a week with others in charge.  The kids were in underwear at home but pull ups when we were out and about.  They could be pulled up and down like underwear so they could go to the restroom normally instead of needing to take off and put on a diaper but they gave the kids added protection.  DD, especially, struggled with potty training.  It was hard for her to link the sensation of needing to go with actually getting to a restroom in time.  And she would get terribly embarrassed if she had an accident at church or while playing with friends.  The pull ups gave her added protection.  She might not make it in time but could change her own pull up.  She still felt wet.  She could change the pull up before it got too full, which prevented leaks. 

• Like 2

Used pull ups here.  Made a HUGE deal out of starting to wear big boy underwear.  And being a horrible mom I also bribed.  :eek:   Hey it worked. 

If you pp in the potty you get 1 m&m or 1 gummy  bear. 

Then when got better at going I switched it to every other time.  Then had to go several times a day with no accidents etc.

For poop I still bribed but got a pack of farm animals.  When pooped in potty he got a farm animal.  Sometimes switched it up to cheap hot wheel cars (I could find bags of them at yard sales for cheap).  Did the same as with m&m's spacing out. 

Maybe not the best way but it worked and no after a bit he didn't need a treat to go to the potty.

• Like 1

This is what we used too.  But then, we also used cloth diapers, so starting with disposables at that point seemed silly...

• Like 1

I chose "other."

I think they are useful for times when you can't really deal with an accident - like when you take your kids shopping.  You still make bathroom stops etc. and hope to stay dry, but if there's an "oops," it's not a disaster.

I think studies have proven them counterproductive when used like training underwear all the time.  The kids usually feel like they are still diapered and are not as motivated to try as if they were allowed to have real "accidents."

I was an unconventional trainer, but I did have a use for pull-ups.  I put my kids on the potties at set times (starting by age 1) and over time, they gradually learned to wait until the right time and place.  During this transition time (about 12-17 mos old), we used pull-ups because they were easier to use throughout the day compared to diapers, and I was too busy to chase pee accidents all day.  Once they had some full dry days, I switched mostly to cloth training pants, some of which had a "leak-proof" layer.

I potty trained two before pull-ups were invented. Cloth trainers was what I grew up with and what worked for my girls. Both wer under 20 months and fully trained. My boys used clothnteainers too, but we had pull-ups for trips outside the house.

I really feel,like,they delay training. They don't feel any different this diapers and the child can't feel the wetness as easily.

That comment is also based on watching g my kids potty train their kids. The easiest kids to,train had cloth diapers and cloth trainers. Pull-up babies took forever .

We are intermittently using PullUps here. Ds is 3.5 and he just. doesn't. care.

We been trying to train him before number 4 arrives, so maybe for a month? He doesn't like to be wet, but he shows almost no connection with making himself wet/dirty and running to the potty yet. We make sure to take him at regular times. But if he has to poop, he still runs to a corner, or under a table, and by the time I get him out, the deed is done.

We've done just underwear at home, and naked, and bribing. He still has no motivation to take himself to the potty, and half the time that I take him he will throw a fit.

So I have resorted to PullUps when dh isn't home to save my sanity, and my very pregnant body. It's not the best solution, but I don't have to wash him 3-4 times a day, or wash poopy underwear, or 3-6 pair of wet pants. And when we have to leave the house, he is always in a PullUp.

My oldest was a pain to potty train, too. She was very stubborn and it took months and months to break through. I was pregnant with our second then, and oldest finally gave in when #2 was 7 weeks old (we had to tell her our new city didn't sell diapers).

Thankfully #2 taught herself! Hopefully #4 will follow her example! Ha!

Useless. I have some cloth training pants (basicly thick crotch underwear) and I don't use that for more than a week or so.

I don't do potty training at all. They use a diaper until they say they are ready for undies and the potty. Then they do that. If they don't want to or can't seem to keep them dry/clean, then we just stop and wait a bit until they seem inclined again.

8/10 simply took off their diaper and used the potty on their own at some point between 15 months and 26 months without any prodding or incentive from me. The two that didn't, were not being resistant or stubborn or anything else. They just weren't ready and felt plenty of natural insecurity about it due to having encomprisis. And insisting did more harm than help with one and I swore I'd never go through that again, which made life and health a lot more pleasant when I had another dealing with it years later.

• Like 1

I used them for my younger ones when we were pretty sure they wouldn't have an accident, but not positive.  Maybe at night, or on long car rides, etc.  Before pull-ups, we used the old cloth trainers for that stage, which are similar to pull-ups but not disposable.  That in-between stage didn't usually last very long.

Oh and yeah, count me as one who doesn't see the point of pull ups. I guess it keeps some of the mess from leaking, but not as well as a diaper and they can't be pulled down very easily and when they are pulled down in a mess situation, it drags the mess down their legs - ewwww. I've babysat for a few friends whose kids were wearing them and I hated the things. The cloth training pants were much better to me. But then again, I only used them after a kid was happily using the potty too. It was basicly for when we left the house the first couple weeks after they decided to stop diapers, just in case I didn't get them to a public restroom fast enough.

We used them out in public. It just made life easier for everyone when out. It isn't fun to leave puddles and have to change clothes when you are a guest or in a public place. And I found the kiddo often was confused or shy about asking and getting to the bathroom on time.

We used the nighttime ones on my boy who wet at night even after fully day trained.

At home during the day, we used regular underwear.

• Like 1

Two of my sons have had nighttime wetting issues, long after they were daytime potty trained.  So for us, Pull-Ups/Goodnites were very useful while we waited for their bladders to increase in size a bit.

One of my sons (who will forever remain my favorite for this ;) announced to me when he had just turned two that he no longer needed diapers.  From that moment on, seriously, not one accident.. night time or day time. 

• Like 5

The point of pull ups is to get you to continue spending money.  The worst thing is they don't absorb like diapers.  They claim they will be viewed more as underwear than diapers, but I can assure you, they aren't.

I don't recommend them.

They've gotten much better. I've been using the Pampers version, and they are as absorbent as regular diapers. I used them less with my first two kids when we were around the house more often during the PTing times. My next two have to leave the house to take the big ones places, and a pull-up style is much easier to wrangle in a public restroom than a traditional diaper. We have used them as backup at night (longer with some kids than others), backup on car trips and other outings, backup at school when the kid is newly PTed and not yet assertive about asking for the restroom, backup when ill (this recent flu came with evil diarrhea)... They're also handy when a child wants to be independent but isn't reliable. I try to let them "own" as much as they can about it without wandering around cleaning up puddles all day. We use cloth diapers otherwise, so changing to a pullup is a different experience.

• Like 4

Murphy and others who are ok with waiting however long it takes for a child to be ready to potty train...

Are you ok if and when you have a child who's content to be in diapers until 4 or more years old? 

Saying that pushing them to train before they're ready makes it worse now makes me wonder if I have set him back. I do try to get him to go in the potty. 

I don't know. 

One of my sons (who will forever remain my favorite for this ;) announced to me when he had just turned two that he no longer needed diapers. From that moment on, seriously, not one accident.. night time or day time.

Dd2 is our third and was a complete surprise. After having such a tough time with Dd1, I was not looking forward to potty training again. Dd2, however, was just like your son. When she was ready, she was ready and there were no intermediate steps. If I put her down for a nap in a diaper just in case, she'd get up, take the diaper off, lie back down and go to sleep. When I'd go in to get her after her nap she was dry. Easy peasy.

Ds and Dd1 were not nearly as easy and the Pull-ups made potty training while out of the house, or pregnant, etc that much easier. Plus, yes, no mess because unlike training pants, if they go in the Pull-ups you can just tear them down the sides and they come off like a diaper.

We cloth diapered and I had cloth training pants with a PUL fabric outer, but I vastly prefered the Pull-ups.

• Like 2

With my first child I was an all or nothing straight to underwear potty trainer.  He did pretty well but going out still meant packing several changes of clothing, being nervous about quick runs to the bathroom, etc. etc.

By the time I had my fourth ten years later I was over all that.  Pull ups worked great to leave the house without worry or drop off at a church nursery, etc. without making more work or worry for anyone.  While I was anti-pullup for the first kids by the time I had the fourth I would have kept her in pull ups for outings and bedtime for as long as it took for her to be 100% reliable.  It was just easier and I was burned out and totally over packing multiple changes, having accidents etc.

Pull-ups were great for an older tired mom :) (well...the pull ups went on the kid but the ease was for the mom)

Edited by teachermom2834
  • Like 4

I recall that for a short period when one kid was in undies at home but not quite reliable on a shopping trip, I would put on a pair of cheap cloth training pants (WalMart bargain type) and then put a pull-up over that.  The idea was to make the kid feel she was in undies / feel wet if she had an accident.  I did find that annoying though, because then I had to deal with a peed undie in the public bathroom.  Luckily that stage was very short before I trusted her to just wear cloth trainers when we went out.

Edited by SKL

A kid is not going to undo , and put back on, a regular diaper. And regular underwear wont protect against accidents. Pullups combine best of both worlds. They worked fine for my kids.

This exactly. 

I used them for overnights with dd who potty trained young (18 mos). She didn't want a diaper, but couldn't make it through the night. She definitely saw them as preferable to a diaper and since we only used one a day for a few months until she could consistently be dry in the mornings, the expense really wasn't significant.

I used them briefly with ds when he first trained but could get distracted until it was too late sometimes lol. 

In both situations, the kids were excited to be rid of diapers and they were a perfect option. I'm a big fan, but only if you wait until the kids are really ready to train to use them.

I only used pull-ups if I knew our errands might interrupt with potty time and in the four day drive across the country in the moving truck. To start potty training, I scheduled potty seat time. 30 min after meals, and every 45 min after. When my son figured out that not having accidents meant mommy didn't interrupt the fun for the potty schedule, he decided to comply. He was absolutely the hardest to train, but finding out later he has severe ADHD and sensory issues explained a lot of our troubles. DS #2 Has always been fairly compliant and trained through the night before three. We knew we were moving when DD was 2.5, so I didn't push it hard. She finished daytime training just after she turned three. She decided last night she doesn't like diapers at night. I told her she had to have 14 dry diapers in the morning before I would do panties only. She woke up dry this morning and told me. Bribery only works if it's the right incentive. Chocolate, candies, and stickers didn't work here. Keeping the fun and fashion going did, and for one, just the smiles and love of a happy mamma were enough.

Only useful for naps and car rides--and church nurseries. Otherwise, they are diapers and the kids pretty much know it.  We go bare bummed or cotton undies only.  All 4 kids trained in a week.  I know there are resistant trainers and it wasn't all me, but they sure didn't like the pee going down their legs.

So, here's my training advice  Make sure you are ready to go the distance, use only cloth undies (except the exception above), check every 15 minutes. Reward dry pants as well as potty production.  Remind to potty every hour  It helps if you can stay home and reward with salty snacks and juice so there is lots of opportunity to try and get rewarded.

I have very few natural talents.   I cannot sing.   I am terrible at art.   I can't spell well.   However, I am pretty darn good at potty training children (if I do say so myself).  

The book, "Oh Crap Potty Training" is a great read.  I don't agree with everything in the book, but it is the best book on the "art of potty training" that I have ever found.   

To answer the poll:     We go cold turkey.  No mixed signals.   No indicating to the child that I don't trust them.   No indicating to the child that they aren't 100% capable of succeeding.   And that means NO going back and forth between diapers and the potty.    (And pull ups are a type of diaper as far as I am concerned.)   The only exception I make to this rule is naps and bedtimes.   I explain (in very simple language) to the child that sometimes we don't have good control over our bodies while we sleep.   So we will wear a pullup (or diaper or whatever) while they are asleep, but that it comes off AS SOON AS THEY wake up.    (And I try to make sure that they have practiced a lot of sucessful potting before taking nap.)   

• Like 3

They are expensive so there is that.  It isn't something I would spend money on except maybe to have on hand for things like an overnight at someone else's house where the mattress isn't protected.

My ds was hard to potty train. He was trained on number one by age 3, but it took 3 years 6 months before he 'got' the number 2 part. 

The point is containing an accident so that the 'Joy' of potty training doesn't become extra laundry and steam cleaning carpets. Even if you don't mind this work at home you might wanna leave the house and NOT risk soiling your friend's couch.

ETA: I did a hybrid. I think it's important for them to feel wet and uncomfortable. I was willing to wash 2 pairs of undies a day. After two accidents, it was back into pull-ups for the day. Eventually the pull ups get moved to later and later in the day. One day the undies last all day, then you're down to a single dry pair by bedtime. It was more of a gradual, low-stress process at my house than high-stakes event.

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 2

The point is containing an accident so that the 'Joy' of potty training doesn't become extra laundry and steam cleaning carpets. Even if you don't mind this work at home you might wanna leave the house and NOT risk soiling your friend's couch.

ETA: I did a hybrid. I think it's important for them to feel wet and uncomfortable. I was willing to wash 2 pairs of undies a day. After two accidents, it was back into pull-ups for the day. Eventually the pull ups get moved to later and later in the day. One day the undies last all day, then you're down to a single dry pair by bedtime. It was more of a gradual, low-stress process at my house than high-stakes event.

This sums it up for me.  I do understand that use of pull ups might have caused my dd to take a few months longer to train than my older kids but I was happy to make that trade for less stress and mess.

One of my boys was a great sleeper and then potty trained right around his second birthday. He proceeded to wake up every couple of hours to pee for the next several years. I begged him to wear pull ups at night and just sleep but he just would not do it.  I would have loved for him to use pull ups!

• Like 2

We liked pullups for night time.  They could go up and down, which meant that a child that was still wearing a diaper at night could take it off but not get it back on, leading to waking mommy.  Pull ups were useful for this because I still wanted a diaper during the actual sleepign hours.

With three of mine, I had two in diapers, and we used reusable, cloth, pull ups.  With my last one, we just used sposies.  The night time pull ups were too far apart to really justify a load of laundry, and the sposies were easier.

Two of my sons have had nighttime wetting issues, long after they were daytime potty trained.  So for us, Pull-Ups/Goodnites were very useful while we waited for their bladders to increase in size a bit.

One of my sons (who will forever remain my favorite for this ;) announced to me when he had just turned two that he no longer needed diapers.  From that moment on, seriously, not one accident.. night time or day time. 

I had a child that did this at age 3.  Never a single accident.

He also napped until his sixth birthday.

Forever my favorite.  ;)

• Like 2

We used training pants with a PUL or plastic outer layer. Much cheaper than buying disposables. This followed from using cloth diapers. So I have zero experience with Pull-ups although I have potty trained two children. I categorize them as one of the ways the consumer goods industry tries to get us to buy lots of disposable stuff we don't need.

• Like 1