Menu

She ate Stir Fry!

Seeking Squirrels

I just have to share somewhere that some of you may understand. My dear child (8) who was recently referred to a pediatrician and a second round of feeding therapy for extreme pickiness and lack of nutrition ate a bowl of teriyaki chicken stir fry for dinner! This is completely unprecedented. She has a small list of foods she will eat and she does not eat them mixed together or with sauces/seasonings/anything added. She ate it. Sauced up chicken, rice, and veggies, all in the same bite. Repeatedly. Of her own accord she got up and put away her "no-thank-you bowl". 

I just can't even. I don't know what this means. I'm thrilled and I'm anxious it's a one-time thing* and I'm oh so hopeful that it's not.  Maybe soon the thought of dinner will not bring me near tears? 

*I fear this because it's not just one time. This happened once before with several bites of a taco and she never touched one again. But she was younger then (~6) and less aware of her eating difficulties and this was so much more deliberate. 

• Like 8

My DS12 was similar in that he does not eat items touching each other or with sauces when he was younger. We let him eat whatever he wanted from our Panda Express order and after a few times he was eating teriyaki stir fry without problem. After that he ate teriyaki chicken don (Japanese teriyaki chicken rice) when we eat at Japanese cafe/delicatessen. Then he was willing to eat In-N-Out burger (with extra everything). His preferred diet is still cheese but it is so much easier to get him a meal other than plain cheese pizza on road trips. His preferred sauce is teriyaki or spaghetti sauce.

• Like 1