Menu

writing suggestions

momandsam

I'm looking for a writing curriculum for next year. My son will be in 5th grade. He struggles a little in writing, so possibly 4th grade level? He is currently using BJU English/Grammar and does well with the grammar part. I think we may continue with it just for the grammar. The writing part has turned into a daily argument. He does ok with the writing process in general, it's the revision step that is a struggle (he's very stubborn and doesn't want to change anything). He needs something that takes him step by step, specifically focusing on topic sentences, paragraph structure, introductions and conclusions. Also, specific instruction on word choice, sentence variety, etc.  We have used IEW in the past and he really disliked it. Any suggestions on a curriculum that would meet these needs?

I'm looking for a writing curriculum for next year. My son will be in 5th grade. He struggles a little in writing, so possibly 4th grade level? He is currently using BJU English/Grammar and does well with the grammar part. I think we may continue with it just for the grammar. The writing part has turned into a daily argument. He does ok with the writing process in general, it's the revision step that is a struggle (he's very stubborn and doesn't want to change anything). He needs something that takes him step by step, specifically focusing on topic sentences, paragraph structure, introductions and conclusions. Also, specific instruction on word choice, sentence variety, etc.  We have used IEW in the past and he really disliked it. Any suggestions on a curriculum that would meet these needs?

Writing Strands, Level 3 or 4 (they are experience levels, not grade levels).

IEW - Student Writing Intensive B. Get the DVDs and let Andrew Pudewa be the teacher who requires the editing. He is funny!

I can't believe how hysterically funny my 11yo son thinks Andrew Pudewa is. I had to pause the disk to wait for him to finish laughing after Andrews sea wasp stagger...

• Like 3

I can't believe how hysterically funny my 11yo son thinks Andrew Pudewa is. I had to pause the disk to wait for him to finish laughing after Andrews sea wasp stagger...

Near the end of the Nurturing Competent Communicators DVD Pudewa recites Jabberwocky. My ds watched it over and over again, and laughed so hard he fell out of his chair.

We have tried so many different writing curricula over the years and my dd has hated them all, tears all round. This year for 5th she is using wordsmith apprentice and I honestly can't believe it, she is doing it and has not once said a single negative thing about that book, not one! Coming from this kid this is HUGE. I have no idea where we will go after this but it has been life changing here, she is doing it, she is really enjoying it, her writing is improving and best of all her writing confidence is soaring.

• Like 1

I just started Write Shop 1 with my 7th grader.  He is certainly a reluctant writer, but so far, he's loved this.  The assignments are interesting to him and the prewriting activities make sense. 

I plan to use their junior level E with my 5th grader next year.  It does require teacher time, but it's been well worth it so far for the older kiddo!