Menu

This year's flu...

bettyandbob

I think it may have infiltrated my house, specifically the two people I know who got vaccines.

DS came home from school Thursday in bad shape, probably sick on Wednesday and we didn't notice (DS has disabilities and is mostly nonverbal). I woke up in bad shape Friday.

So headaches, sore throat, fever off and on. I'm acutely aware of my lungs--not in pain breathing, just a heavy feeling.

My question is how long is this lasting for most people. DS is not going to school tomorrow. I'm missing work for the third time. I'm not bouncing back the way I like. I've been resting, watching these boards, eating soup and popsicles.

What is the course this year. Is it taking more than a week.

All of my kids got if and did I.  Middle had a high fever for about three days and then a low grade one for a day or two.  He was mostly better in a week.  Youngest never got a fever but was exhausted for about a week and a half.  DD started to get symptoms so her doctor prescribed tamniflu and she was better in a couple days.  Two of them had had the flu shot and one hadn't.  I was sick and had no energy for about a week, but it took a good three weeks to really feel totally better.

We all had it here over the past three weeks or so. I probably had it the worst. A week of fever, exhaustion, nausea, etc. It's been 10 days and today is the first day I've not napped for hours. Nasty stuff. I haven't been this sick in 25 years. I almost punched my mil yesterday at church when she asked if I was over my "little cold". Grrr . . !

My youngest (2) came down with it first. She had diarrhea that lasted a good 7 days. She wasn't back to herself until about day 10. My 11 year old got it and it kept him down about 3-4 days, but he's still not at full speed. My 13 year old was only down 2 days. She's always cranky, so I can't tell what was her and what was the flu. ;)

• Like 1

:grouphug: to all of you who aren't feeling well.

Dd12 had the flu (type B) last week.  She had a cough that was pretty bad for a few days, but it got better quickly.  Early on she had a couple of scary moments when she had trouble breathing.  Once she coughed she was fine.

She had a very low-grade fever (99.2).  If she hadn't been tested for the flu I would have hardly known she was sick.

Dd6 had a cough during this same time.  I didn't want to take her around sick people to get her tested.

All of us except dh had the flu shot.

My youngest (2) came down with it first. She had diarrhea that lasted a good 7 days. She wasn't back to herself until about day 10. My 11 year old got it and it kept him down about 3-4 days, but he's still not at full speed. My 13 year old was only down 2 days. She's always cranky, so I can't tell what was her and what was the flu. ;)

Having the flu is the pits. Keep in mind, the flu is a virus. Therefore, it's incubation period will be around 2 weeks (you'll be sick before your symptoms show up), your symptoms mean your body is working the way it's supposed to - to get rid of the virus, and that purging will be intense for about a week, and then ease up the second week. And the key to healing is REST. Don't go to work, don't go to school, don't SHARE those germs.

We've all had it here, possibly twice.  The kids have been sick for about 10 days but seem to be on the mend except for some lingering cough.   We had about a week of being healthy between this bout and the previous bout that mainly hit me and dd.

From talking to people involved with the public schools around here, there is a LOT of stuff going around and it's hitting everyone hard.  60-70 kids out each day in school districts that usually see 20 kids out on a given day.  Looks like there's the flu and a stomach bug that are the biggies.

None of us got flu shots.

If you are within the time window for taking it, Tamiflu shortens the duration of the flu by inhibiting viral replication. Sambucol has a similar action (backed by scientific evidence), so if you don't want to take tamiflu, then do some research on sambucol to see if you think it would work for your family. Sambucol is otc elderberry syrup/extract.

I hope everyone feels better very quickly!

My daughters both got B. My youngest is mostly better after about four days and my oldest has been down for a solid week with a pretty high fever, very sore throat, coughing... It's aggravating her asthma as well. Today she seemed a lot better and was actually fever free at bedtime. I'm hoping for a good day tomorrow.

Youngest had it and was down from a Saturday through Wednesday. She was able to go back to school on Thursday. She had a lingering cough and some fatigue through the weekend but was completely back to normal by Monday. She was the only one not vaccinated (bad mom award!) and the rest of us who are vaccinated haven't had it.

One of my kids was out of it for almost a week. Fever, lying around on the couch all day, etc. No pain, at least. My other two kids got milder fevers with major snotty noses shortly after that, so I thought it was all one illness that hit the one kid the hardest, but without the mucus. Now I'm wondering if it was really the flu and the other kids just had regular colds, and we're all doomed in about a week...