Menu

Verizon wireless Unlimited data

Ginevra

Does anyone have this plan? We are one of two people left in the known universe who do not have unlimited wifi at home. We have a mobile hotspot and this is our home internet. We are quite limited, as we have 15gb data available for my ohone plus our home hotspot; we cannot stream video on a regular basis.

I really, really, really want and need to obtain unlimited data but I am seriously gun-shy. I'm afraid of a "catch" that will make it not meet our needs. I do have a friend who was one of the only other people I knew who shared our problem (no cable, spotty satellite) and this friend went to T-mobile unlimited for their phones and hotspot. So far, it really does do what it's supposed to do. But if I could get this through Verizon, that would be preferred, because our phones are Verizon already and DH must have Verizon for work.

Any advice?

• Like 1

They limit you to 3G speeds after going through 10gb, according to their site. 3G isn't terrible, but it wouldn't take us long to get to 10gb. Back when we didn't have wireless, we had to be careful not to go over our 12gb allowance for two people, and that was without playing YouTube or Netflix movies.

It also seems pretty expensive...for the two of us it would be $140. Still, I think I'd deal with it and use this if my only alternative were dial up or satellite internet.

Edited by Epicurean
  • Like 2

The Web Hosting business has tons of  providers who claim to provide "Unlimited" disk space, or unlimited this, or unlimited that. Until they begin making hard disk drives with unlimited capacity, and other Hardware with unlimited capacity, that's impossible to provide to someone who uses more than "their fair share". All of those companies have, in their Terms and Conditions (Fine print) explanations of why one would be in violation and would have their service suspended, temporarily or permanently.

So, here, we are talking about over the air Bandwidth.   Our neighbor who has been an Electronic Engineer, for many years, for one of the major cellular providers here, could, I assume, in one minute, explain to you why that's impossible for them to provide, over the air, from a Cell tower. 

The only way I could see them providing that kind of service is if one paid a VERY LARGE monthly fee for special dedicated service.

We have a magicJack VOIP phone. We use it for occasional calls and they are usually short calls. Sometimes long. If we used it all day, they would cut off our service. 

The providers must work within the capacity of their network. 

The Hardware of a phone company providing ADSL service to a home or business is designed to provide continuous service to that customer, at the same Line Speed. 

The Hardware of a Cable Modem provider is designed to share the network capacity among their customers.  So, Cable Modem Line speed will fluctuate, based on whether or not your neighbors are using it.

IMO you are correct to be very skeptical of this "unlimited data" plan.

Suggestion: Read every word of the fine print. Twice.   Then, if the cancellation penalties are not severe, sign up and see if you can live within the limits that are imposed upon your use of the network.

• Like 1

The Web Hosting business has tons of providers who claim to provide "Unlimited" disk space, or unlimited this, or unlimited that. Until they begin making hard disk drives with unlimited capacity, and other Hardware with unlimited capacity, that's impossible to provide to someone who uses more than "their fair share". All of those companies have, in their Terms and Conditions (Fine print) explanations of why one would be in violation and would have their service suspended, temporarily or permanently.

So, here, we are talking about over the air Bandwidth. Our neighbor who has been an Electronic Engineer, for many years, for one of the major cellular providers here, could, I assume, in one minute, explain to you why that's impossible for them to provide, over the air, from a Cell tower.

The only way I could see them providing that kind of service is if one paid a VERY LARGE monthly fee for special dedicated service.

We have a magicJack VOIP phone. We use it for occasional calls and they are usually short calls. Sometimes long. If we used it all day, they would cut off our service.

The providers must work within the capacity of their network.

The Hardware of a phone company providing ADSL service to a home or business is designed to provide continuous service to that customer, at the same Line Speed.

The Hardware of a Cable Modem provider is designed to share the network capacity among their customers. So, Cable Modem Line speed will fluctuate, based on whether or not your neighbors are using it.

IMO you are correct to be very skeptical of this "unlimited data" plan.

Suggestion: Read every word of the fine print. Twice. Then, if the cancellation penalties are not severe, sign up and see if you can live within the limits that are imposed upon your use of the network.

Thanks, Lanny. I knew you would have knowledge about this and almost put your name in my thread title. :) My friend who has the T-Mobile hotspot on unlimited (or "unlimited") has been using it for a few months now and says she has had no problems.

• Like 1

Great. This is not as bad as writing a Will but I believe and suggest That you get all of the financial data and contract in writing and read it at home at least twice. Know what the setup cost is and what they will contract stipulates. Know what it would cost to break the contract. If you

Sent from my SM-G355M using Tapatalk

• Like 1

USA Today published a great article on Verizon's unlimited plan that might help you:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/columnist/2017/02/15/here-catches-verizons-unlimited-data-plan/97959130/

Summary - $80 for talk, text and data.  The gotchas are pretty much laid out:

--- after you use 22GB on a single line, you will most likely get throttled back to 3G speeds or slower when the network is busy.  When the network isn't busy, you still get your LTE speed data.

--- you can use your phone as a hotspot (tethered), but after you burn through 10GB during the month, you WILL be throttled back to 3G speed.  Tethering works fine on 3G, but it's slow

--- one line is $80 + taxes and fees, two are $140 + taxes and fees.  And you must sign up for automated payments and you can't use a credit card.

• Like 2

We use an Android phone as a Hotspot on the rare occasions when the phone company has a disaster and DD needs to study. We are on 3G because 4G costs more and we rarely use Data especially at home. 3 of us were using the. Hotspot a week or two ago when that happened and the ADSL was down for several hours. The tower is on HOA land about 1 block from our house. They pay rent to the HOA every month

Sent from my SM-G355M using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I googled for this and here's a brief description:

HSPA vs. LTE. ... HSPA+ or Evolved High Speed Packet Access, in fact, has speeds comparable to the newer LTE networks. According to AndroidAuthority, downlink speeds are comparable between the two. On the other hand, LTE, or Long Term Evolution, is considered a “true†4G network.May 9, 2014