Menu

What would you use with Miquon

EngOZ

My 7yo dd currently uses Miquon Math, which is ideal as she's enjoying it, attends public school and it doesn't take me much time to administer. However I would like to add another math curriculum that will go nicely with Miquon, but I'm not sure which.

Here are two curriculums I've been looking into, SM, MM... I'm not considering MUS though. 

I like MEP because of the cost (free). I tried to use MM with my dd, but it was tricky to match up and has so many problems. I had previously used mel with my ds in conjunction with BA, and that was better.

We weren't afterschooling, either, this was full-on math time and I still struggled to pair MM (which is perfect for my older dd add a stand-alone).

• Like 1

I used it with Singapore (standards ed.). I didn't try to do both at once, but did Singapore for a while in between Miquon books:

part of the Singapore 1 Extra Practice book

then Miquon orange

more of the SM 1 book

Kumon time

Miquon red

more SM 1

SM 2A

Miquon blue

SM 2B and more Kumon time

Miquon green

Miquon yellow

Miquon purple

some fact practice

and then started Beast Academy, using SM only a little here and there.

• Like 1

Thank you for your replies everyone. I love MEP, but I hated printing pages and also the prep time. 

Abba12, can you share how you tee up SM and Miquon, or share your chart. I'm looking into SM Math in Focus, hopefully it will be close to what you sugges... Please  :drool:

I use miquon alongside singapore personally, I have a chart showing where miquon covers various topics. I use that to introduce the topic, and then go deeper with it with singapore. 

Edited by EngOZ

Thank you for your replies everyone. I love MEP, but I hated printing pages and also the prep time. 

Abba12, can you share how you tee up SM and Miquon, or share your chart. I'm looking into SM Math in Focus, hopefully it will be close to what you sugges... Please  :drool:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yhnt0o8osz3g8ol/http___web.archive.org_web_20080307072415_http___www.singmath.pdf

Hopefully that link works, I do the miquon first and then the singapore lesson. It slows us down a little but that works for Eldest who is quick with concepts but seems to struggle with memorising anything so takes a long time working every problem from scratch and getting lost in multi-step problems. A child who memorises better might skip some singapore review depending on what books you're using. 

• Like 1

We used Miquon with SM for DD (she would have finished SM in half the year otherwise rather than taking a full year).  We worked through SM sequentially  3x week and then interspersed Miquon 2 x week but didn't worry about them lining up - we would sometimes use Miquon for review, but sometimes use it for new concepts and go ahead.

We then used Miquon with MM for DS in much the same way, except I had him do only half the MM problems and those mostly orally whereas he wrote on the Miquon squares.  Particularly with DS, I liked having the two programs, because he liked having something fresh and new to do in Math, so going through MM sequentially on its own would have just drowned him.

• Like 1

Miquon in large measure provides the "concrete" part of learning that the Singapore Math Model calls for in its concrete>pictorial>abstract progression. Primary Mathematics (aka Singapore Math) largely leaps the "concrete" stage (unless supplemented by exercises from the Home Instructors Guides or a knowledgeable teacher) so Miquon fills a gap by being both "concrete" and providing hands-on "discovery" learning opportunities.

There is terrific synergy with the pairing of PM with Miquon. The results are better than a sum of the parts. The Singapore Model expands on the creative math play from Miquon and goes a great job building basic competency and numeracy.

We used quite a mash-up of materials at this age including Miquon, PM, MEP, CSMP, and Right Start games and ideas. Later adding Beast Academy.

As a basic one-two punch, PM and Miquon are a hard combo to beat IMO.

I would not worry too much about lining them up by topic. Some of the beauty at this age is seeing how the basic operations are interrelated (Miquon is especially good at this) and a certain creative chaos in the progression is a positive in my estimation.

Bill

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback. Where exactly does one start if you want to explore Right Start games? Do you just buy the products on their site and try it or is there a bigger picture guide to it all. I looked but couldn't get my head around how those games relate to this tread.

Thanks for the feedback. Where exactly does one start if you want to explore Right Start games? Do you just buy the products on their site and try it or is there a bigger picture guide to it all. I looked but couldn't get my head around how those games relate to this tread.

If you choose to do the RS Games, you just buy the set. It comes with a guidebook that has the rules for each game. The games are broken up by topic. There are games for pretty much every topic in elementary math. We found that they were most useful K-2 for practicing math facts and fluency. Sometimes they were also useful for introducing new concepts. They are clearly a supplemental thing. However, your kid is already doing a full program in school, Miquon - another full program - at home, and these would probably be a good way to play around with more early math and firm up the facts.

Once you finish Miquon, you can move on to Beast Academy. :D

• Like 1

Search YouTube for Right Start games and you'll find classics like "Go to the Dump."

The games are (for the most part) a way to build towards automaticity with math fact families w/o resorting to "drill" and encouraging learning through fun.

Bill

• Like 1

Thanks Farrar and Bill. I like RS math games from the Youtube videos. 

I think you're both right in saying that doing Miquon is enough. RS games will be a good fit, the games will help to round out their learning and retention... I want my kids to look back and remember - that their math lesson with dad was fun filled, not drill and kill.

Now to order... am I right that this page contains all the games we've been discussing in this thread?

http://rightstartmath.com/our-curriculum/our-products/tutoring-and-games/ 

If there are other pages please let me know. I just want games for K-6.

Edited by EngOZ
  • Like 2

Thanks Farrar and Bill. I like RS math games from the Youtube videos. 

I think you're both right in saying that doing Miquon is enough. RS games will be a good fit, the games will help to round out their learning and retention... I want my kids to look back and remember - that their math lesson with dad was fun filled, not drill and kill.

Now to order... am I right that this page contains all the games we've been discussing in this thread?

http://rightstartmath.com/our-curriculum/our-products/tutoring-and-games/ 

If there are other pages please let me know. I just want games for K-6.

Making math fun (and a bonding experience with my son) was the prime directive in our "after-schooling" adventure. Miquon had a profound influence on me in "how to teach/facilitate learning" and in wanting to create a "Math Lab" experience.

To that end—I personally—drew on many (many) resources other than Miquon to create a Math Lab experience. Different resources bring different strengths to the table.

Primary Mathematics builds phenomenal re-grouping and mental math skill on top of the lessons in Miquon. Plus PM build word problem-solving skills.

MEP is especially good at building logical thinking from Day 1, and has many ideas to poach in the lesson plans. The "look" of many problems is different enough from Miquon or PM (while teaching the same concept) that cherry-picking problems had great value to me.

CSMP (Comprehensive School Mathematics Program) like MEP is a "free to print" archive with very interesting distractions like the minicomputer that build number sense.

RightStart, in addition to the games, has a very smart focus on building an understanding of place value early (better than Miquon or PM initially) and their "Place value" and "Base-10" card (very cheap) had value for me.

Adding base-10 "flats" (as 100 values) to a C Rod set (they are the same scale) was also valuable.

Ed Zaccaro's books make "difficult" concepts simple. He has a gift for breaking down ideas into easily understood steps.

There are almost too many good resources available. It is impossible to do them all. But for me, it was worth pulling on many, and inventing Math Lab activities from my own imagination. 

For me, Miquon was the starting point and an inspiration for all that came. But not the end point, which I think is exactly what Miquon author Lore Rassmussen hoped for when she wrote the Miquon materials. 

No pressure, or anything :D

Bill

• Like 1

CSMP (Comprehensive School Mathematics Program) like MEP is a "free to print" archive with very interesting distractions like the minicomputer that build number sense.

I had words with Ronit Bird about that. She says the minicomputer is a mere computational device. I was very cross.  :sneaky2:

Thanks Bill I love to see how you connect things to Miquon.

Making math fun (and a bonding experience with my son) was the prime directive in our "after-schooling" adventure. Miquon had a profound influence on me in "how to teach/facilitate learning" and in wanting to create a "Math Lab" experience.

To that end—I personally—drew on many (many) resources other than Miquon to create a Math Lab experience. Different resources bring different strengths to the table.

Primary Mathematics builds phenomenal re-grouping and mental math skill on top of the lessons in Miquon. Plus PM build word problem-solving skills.

MEP is especially good at building logical thinking from Day 1, and has many ideas to poach in the lesson plans. The "look" of many problems is different enough from Miquon or PM (while teaching the same concept) that cherry-picking problems had great value to me.

RightStart, in addition to the games, has a very smart focus on building an understanding of place value early (better than Miquon or PM initially) and their "Place value" and "Base-10" card (very cheap) had value for me.

Adding base-10 "flats" (as 100 values) to a C Rod set (they are the same scale) was also valuable.

Ed Zaccaro's books make "difficult" concepts simple. He has a gift for breaking down ideas into easily understood steps.

There are almost too many good resources available. It is impossible to do them all. But for me, it was worth pulling on many, and inventing Math Lab activities from my own imagination. 

For me, Miquon was the starting point and an inspiration for all that came. But not the end point, which I think is exactly what Miquon author Lore Rassmussen hoped for when she wrote the Miquon materials. 

No pressure, or anything :D

Bill

Edited by EngOZ

Update: I've just ordered Beast Academy, RS Math Games, SM Challenging Word Problems for all of my kids, and the ones that join our afterschool study group. :D

I won't use it all, or for every kid, but just what each needs to build their conceptual understanding. Thanks for all of your feedback.

Edited by EngOZ
  • Like 2