Menu

Does it make any sense to not lose weight but lose

DawnM

a LOT of inches?

I have a dear friend who has always been significantly overweight.  She is NOT dieting or exercising, just to put that out there.  She does walk a lot on her job, so she does get some exercise that way.

However, she says her face has gotten a lot thinner, her legs have gotten quite thin, and her stomach and torso have remained the same size.  But the scale shows no weight loss.

That doesn't make sense to me.  Any theories?

I was going to suggest that perhaps the weight numbers aren't changing because she's building muscle.  But wouldn't it be weird that stomach and torso haven't changed?  

And the fact that she isn't exercising.  

People are telling her that her face looks like she has lost at least 30 pounds.

yes.

I have an acquaintance who is a personal trainer.  she was always been 'thin/thinnish".

when she started training - she *gained* 20 lbs.  she also lost a dress size.

it has to do with the volume differences between fat and muscle.   you can lose fat, and gain muscle and remain the same weight (or gain like my friend) becasue you are trading the volume of fat (which takes up more space) and trading it for the volume of muscle (which is more compact).

eta: years ago, I was reading about a fitness program that will start the participants off just walking.  they do a time test (with a specific route so the person can't do a shortcut.  one woman took a cab.) as one of the measures of fitness.

one woman - at this point she was doing little more than walking - was losing inches, dropping dress sizes, but quit because be wasn't loosing any weight . . . .

Edited by gardenmom5

and is the walking -job new? 

I was talking with a teacher at dudeling's school.  they just moved into a new building.  it. is. huge.!  she now walks a. lot.   much more than she did before.   at the beginning of the school year, her pants were tight.  by nov, they were loose.  the only change was the walking she did in her job.

it does get down to how many steps are you taking.  doesn't matter where you are taking those steps - just that you are taking them.

I've gained theee pounds and lost seventeen inches off various parts of my body before, yes. Especially with exercise and changes in eating habits. Without those it is a little more odd but not unheard of.

I would see a dr just to get checked out.

I would say that the inches/fluid/weight have to be going somewhere. My guess is that it's going into her torso (maybe back fat) and she hasn't noticed it yet.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's increased insulin resistance. Any signs of pre-diabetes?

• Like 1

I would see a dr just to get checked out.

I would say that the inches/fluid/weight have to be going somewhere. My guess is that it's going into her torso (maybe back fat) and she hasn't noticed it yet.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's increased insulin resistance. Any signs of pre-diabetes?

I think you might be right.  I spoke to a friend of mine who is a physician today and that was the first thing she said.  She suggested she get checked for Central Diabetes Insipitus.    

• Like 1