Menu

Regular - Petite - Tall question

milovany

I'm going to be the matron of honor in a wedding in May (first time ever as matron of honor, at 50 years old!). I found a dress that both the bride and I like but it's clearance and in the regular size that I usually wear, the largest size available is a 10 but that's a hope-for size at this point (weight wise) and not a sure thing size.  In the tall, there's a size 12 available.  The dress is designed to below the knee; I prefer this and longer.  So can I order a 12 in the tall and it'll be longer, like I like, or is the proportion throughout going to be different and it could look odd? I think I'm realizing that the waist line will hit lower, which may not look good. For comparison's sake, I wore a "fit and flare" dress at my son's wedding last summer so it was tighter on the bust and just under and then flared out from there.  It was a good fit for me as it's my lower tummy and hips that need the "flare". 

I'll post a picture of the dress. And if anyone has the matching sweater that goes with this, I'll buy it off you (if I go with this dress)!  :D  Apparently it sold out already. If I can't find the matching sweater, I'll wear a similar red or pink one.  Oh!  And the bride doesn't care that it's mostly white (plus the reviews say it's not as stark a white as the photo makes it seem). She's going to be wearing a floor length champagne/pink number.  I showed this to her and she liked it a lot.

snip-ledress_zps0m1h0vva.jpg

With matching sweater:

snip-ledress2_zpsyosbn1cq.jpg

Edited by milovany

Tall is usually for 5'9" or taller....or at minimum, for those with a longer torso I am 5'8" and can sometimes wear a tall, but sometimes not..  A tall dress can affect where the chest tucks, arm holes, hips and waist are, so unless you are tall...or want to pay for alterations, I wouldn't want to buy this particular dress in a tall. Having it hemmed would affect the design so any alterations to length will need to be a tear apart at the waist. I wouldn't want to buy it unless it can be returned. 

The dress is really pretty, but I would think that it would really draw attention away from the bride if she is in a champagne/pink color. But....it is her wedding and if she is ok with it....then go with that.  (unless she is the type to say yes, even if she means no, just to avoid hurting feelings)

No, she's not that type at all LOL.  She'd tell me if she didn't like it and it was one of three (from my list of 10 or so) that she chose, and more than that, I had the feeling it was the one she liked the most. 

Thanks for your input!  I might order it in several sizes and just try them on.  It's Land's End.  They'll take returns. 

That dress is really pretty, but the sweater kind of makes it awful. It takes away from the contrast of the print and the white and makes it look like a floral pillowcase. I don't know, I'm not a fashion expert. I'd go with a plain colored or white sweater.

As far as fit, I am 5'8" and the only reason I wear tall is because I'm fluffy, which rounds out the clothes and makes them fit better. Or something like that, I'm not sure :p

the proportions will all be longer - but it can still work depending upon what your normal size and weight is.  then there is the fact that just because something is listed as ___ size, doesn't mean it's the same as another manufactures ___ size.

eta:my experience with tall sizes is 2dd.  she is 5'11" - she ordered a regular size of a hawaiian dress for a party, and had to have material added to make the bodice longer.  (and that was the length between shoulder and bust - not counting bust to waist.)

good thing it was sleeveless so it could be lengthened - she was wearing a shirt underneath.

her biggest complaints about regular sizes is how short the long sleeves are.

Edited by gardenmom5

You will want that waist seam to hit at the narrowest part of your body. If yours happens to be low-ish, the tall could work. That's an easier alteration without the princess seams/darts. The sweater covers up those nice lines! The model gets away with it because she's tall and slender, but it might not work on everyone. (That would be a super frumpy look on me!)

I love the dress!  And if you know a good seamstress, it's certainly easier to make something smaller than make something bigger.  I'd get both sizes and try them both on.  Sometimes Lands Ends runs a little big, if anything.

I do agree with another poster though that the sweater might be too much.  I'd get something in a white, but of a different texture.  I wonder if something like one of these would work:

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/jm-collection-cropped-open-front-cardigan-only-at-macys?ID=4333103&CategoryID=260&LinkType=&selectedSize=&swatchColor=Bright%20White#fn=COLOR%3DWhite%26SWEATER_STYLE%3DCardigan%26sp%3D1%26spc%3D119%26ruleId%3D85|BS|BA%26slotId%3D7

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/charter-club-diamond-stitch-open-front-cardigan-only-at-macys?ID=4306096&CategoryID=260&LinkType=&selectedSize=&swatchColor=Bright%20White#fn=COLOR%3DWhite%26SWEATER_STYLE%3DCardigan%26sp%3D1%26spc%3D119%26ruleId%3D85|BS|BA%26slotId%3D33

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/calvin-klein-cropped-open-front-cardigan?ID=2104709&pla_country=US&CAGPSPN=pla&CAWELAID=120156340002928476&CAAGID=15360180181&CATCI=aud-102345011570:pla-85532961421&catargetid=120156340001256779&cadevice=c&cm_mmc=Google_Womens_PLA-_-RTW+Womens_Womens+Sweaters+-+GS_Calvin+Klein-_-66681490621-_-pg44281_c_kclickid_61c61089-4f0f-46d9-9678-2eccfe56e239&trackingid=424x44281&gclid=CjwKEAiAoaXFBRCNhautiPvnqzoSJABzHd6hu7VzkshhwMWzJpOdgnvsLY5M-DN1UQam7LIINfZh7RoC8tjw_wcB

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/eliza-j-open-front-bolero/4073009?origin=category-personalizedsort&fashioncolor=WHITE

Yeah, I think I'll order three different sizes and see how they fit/work. In addition to be on super clearance, there's an additional 30% off code AND free shipping.  Almost can't go wrong and wouldn't be out much money to do returns. 

Do you think a white sweater as opposed to a red or pink one (picking out the colors from the bottom of the skirt)?  I wonder if that's too much white for me, as the matron of honor.  But I do like the ones in the links you posted, especially the last two. 

Yeah, I think I'll order three different sizes and see how they fit/work. In addition to be on super clearance, there's an additional 30% off code AND free shipping.  Almost can't go wrong and wouldn't be out much money to do returns. 

Do you think a white sweater as opposed to a red or pink one (picking out the colors from the bottom of the skirt)?  I wonder if that's too much white for me, as the matron of honor.  But I do like the ones in the links you posted, especially the last two. 

I'm probably not a good one to answer this as far as what is considered traditionally acceptable.  But in my mind, a bright, colorful sweater would draw more attention to you, whereas white would tone it down (as long as the dress has some color in it, so that you're not all white).  I could be wrong on that though.  I wonder how a solid, lighter pink sweater would work?  (Looks like there is some lighter pink in the dress.)