Menu

physics text

I'm looking for a good physics textbook that would cover the standard highschool years.

I could just go with what the schools here use in grades 11 and 12, but I thought I'd ask for opinions and ideas here first.

We're just at the point where dabbling in topics here and there doesn't quite seem enough. I feel like it's perhaps time for some sort of structure, or just something as a good overview, so that our dabbling doesn't leave gaps.

Anything that you use that you'd recommend?

Similarly, anything that you'd suggest we steer clear of?

Thanks  :001_smile:

• Like 1

I have used a College Physics text for high school physics with my kids in 8th and 9th grades. College Physics is algebra based intro physics for non-majors and a suitable level for a highschooler who has finished algebra. 

There is little difference between standard texts. I like Knight because of his writing style; Giancoli is another popular choice.

Careful: both authors have several texts; University Physics/ Physics for Scientists and Engineers is calculus based

• Like 1

We used Apologia's 2nd Edition Exploring Creation (high school level) Chem book and I had planned on their 2nd edition physics text too. Ds decided to stick with other sciences at the moment, but really likes the light hearted, conversational tone of the texts. They have VERY little religion in them (we will not be using Biology due to religious content). It was easy to overlook a sentence here or there.

It was just a cheap, easy curriculum. Light for high school, but not cutesy. You can find tests as well if that is important to you. Fit late elementary perfectly.

• Like 1

Available at archive.org. If you search there you can find more physics textbooks.

Algebra based

Physics Principles with Applications by Giancoli 6th edition https://archive.org/details/Physics-PrinciplesWithApplications

College Physics Serway 7th Edition https://archive.org/details/CollegePhysicsSerway7thEditionAzNBAlla161

Calculus based

Fundamentals Of Physics Extended 10th Edition Halliday & Resnick https://archive.org/details/FundamentalsOfPhysicsExtended10thEditionHallidayResnick

There are international low price edition of US textbooks so I don't know whether that would be cheaper than buying US versions used and paying international shipping.

• Like 3

Thank you everyone for your ideas. Much appreciated!

We're not up to calculus yet, so anything calculus-based will be somewhere in the future.

Many thanks for the heads-up that some texts are calc based!

My daughter's algebra is reasonably strong, so hopefully some of the algebra-based texts will be suitable. 

I really didn't know where to post this question. My daughter is 10, but we're seeking highschool level content, but without calculus (yet). 

She's confident with trig and algebra and has been capably working problems related to motion in two directions, using vectors, and using equations of motion, for example. 

I've stayed clear of Apologia because I really don't want a religion-based text. But EoO, I do value your opinions, so I won't discount it at this stage.

Any thoughts on this book?: https://www.bookdepository.com/Take-Home-Physics-Michael-Horton/9781935155058 

I've had this sitting in my wishlist on bookdepository for ages now and I can't remember where I originally came across it. It would be great if the wishlist had a spot to add some notes eg Regentrude/EoO/Arcadia/Ebunny on WTM recommended this.  :001_smile:

I'm off now to check out some of your ideas - thanks again!

Edited for typos.

Edited by chocolate-chip chooky

Looking at College Physics: A Strategic Approach by Knight, there are several editions.

To get a new copy of the latest edition (3rd?), it will cost me about $135 to get it to Australia. Not bad if it's really worth it and gets us through highschool physics. But still, that's a lot of $$.

I can get a used copy of the first edition (2006 I think) for only $36 incl postage or 2nd edition for about $44.

Any reason not to go with an earlier edition, used? 

I hear you about religious texts. We steered completely clear until a friend at co-op physically brought it to me and said, "Here! Look at it." The 3rd edition has supposedly way more religion. In fact, that was the major complaint many gave to Apologia apparently.

If you have anyone you know who might have a copy, you might consider actually looking at it. Without that, I would have never given it a shot.

If you have other relativelt cheap options, you will probabky get more mileage out of them. They aree not high school level as far as I am concerned. At least, definitely not a rigorous high school level.

• Like 1

Looking at College Physics: A Strategic Approach by Knight, there are several editions.

To get a new copy of the latest edition (3rd?), it will cost me about $135 to get it to Australia. Not bad if it's really worth it and gets us through highschool physics. But still, that's a lot of $$.

I can get a used copy of the first edition (2006 I think) for only $36 incl postage or 2nd edition for about $44.

Any reason not to go with an earlier edition, used? 

NEVER get the recent edition of an intro physics text! There has been absolutely no change in the physics covered over the past fifty years - get the oldest edition you can find. Any changes are merely cosmetic.

I like this text - but seeing that you are in Australia and have the issue with shipping, I would encourage you to look into OpenStax. They have a College Physics text and it is FREE. I have not yet previewed the text, but hey, how different can it be. It is put out by a reputable source (Rice) and already in use in many classrooms.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 5

Thank you everyone for your ideas. Much appreciated!

We're not up to calculus yet, so anything calculus-based will be somewhere in the future.

Many thanks for the heads-up that some texts are calc based!

My daughter's algebra is reasonably strong, so hopefully some of the algebra-based texts will be suitable. 

I really didn't know where to post this question. My daughter is 10, but we're seeking highschool level content, but without calculus (yet). 

She's confident with trig and algebra and has been capably working problems related to motion in two directions, using vectors, and using equations of motion, for example. 

I've stayed clear of Apologia because I really don't want a religion-based text. But EoO, I do value your opinions, so I won't discount it at this stage.

Any thoughts on this book?: https://www.bookdepository.com/Take-Home-Physics-Michael-Horton/9781935155058 

I've had this sitting in my wishlist on bookdepository for ages now and I can't remember where I originally came across it. It would be great if the wishlist had a spot to add some notes eg Regentrude/EoO/Arcadia/Ebunny on WTM recommended this.  :001_smile:

I'm off now to check out some of your ideas - thanks again!

Edited for typos.

If she's confident with algebra/trig, why don't you try out the Giancoli Physics pdf that Arcadia linked earlier? It's FREE. :001_cool:

Unless you don't prefer working out of an ebook?

• Like 1

NEVER get the recent edition of an intro physics text! There has been absolutely no change in the physics covered over the past fifty years - get the oldest edition you can find. Any changes are merely cosmetic.

I like this text - but seeing that you are in Australia and have the issue with shipping, I would encourage you to look into OpenStax. They have a College Physics text and it is FREE. I have not yet previewed the text, but hey, how different can it be. It is put out by a reputable source (Rice) and already in use in many classrooms.

Exactly.  Shop around for solutions manuals, and get a nice edition with all manuals.  You can often get a full set for under $20 + shipping.

• Like 1

Exactly.  Shop around for solutions manuals, and get a nice edition with all manuals.  You can often get a full set for under $20 + shipping.

Since the OP is in Australia, I would not recommend paying for shipping for a solution manual.

My students all manage to find solution manuals online to copy from for their homework assignments.

There are also cheating websites like chegg that offer this in convenient form for a fee.

• Like 1

If she's confident with algebra/trig, why don't you try out the Giancoli Physics pdf that Arcadia linked earlier? It's FREE. :001_cool:

Unless you don't prefer working out of an ebook?

Those links are fabulous (thanks Arcadia!).

I plan on downloading the Giancoli and at least having a look through some of it.

Sometimes ebooks like that aren't printable (I'm looking at you AoPS). Hopefully this one is.

My daughter just doesn't work from a screen for text, unfortunately. Holding the actual book seems to make all the difference.

(I'll add too that I've never regretted the expense of getting AoPS posted here.)

Thank you, regentrude, for confirming my thoughts re different editions. 

And thanks also for heading me towards OpenStax. Never heard of that one before - looks fabulous!

Thanks everyone.

• Like 1

We love Kinetics Books Conceptual Physics. Though it is called Conceptual, it is a typical algebra-based physics program. It has video games that they have to program in correct formulas, etc for the game to succeed. My ds fell in love with physics bc of the program and will be applying to physics grad programs in the fall. :)

• Like 5

Since the OP is in Australia, I would not recommend paying for shipping for a solution manual.

My students all manage to find solution manuals online to copy from for their homework assignments.

There are also cheating websites like chegg that offer this in convenient form for a fee.

You'd be surprised - I get books shipped internationally frequently.  It's nowhere near as pricey as it once was.  Often, it's cheaper to source internationally than get the same text locally.  Companies may mark up based on the cash invested in shipping costs and transit time.  I don't have to pay that markup.

International Amazon is a great friend!

You'd be surprised - I get books shipped internationally frequently.  It's nowhere near as pricey as it once was.  Often, it's cheaper to source internationally than get the same text locally.  Companies may mark up based on the cash invested in shipping costs and transit time.  I don't have to pay that markup.

International Amazon is a great friend!

I just hear the complaints from the Aussies on this board that shipping there seems to be prohibitive.

Good if that is not the case.

• Like 1

I just hear the complaints from the Aussies on this board that shipping there seems to be prohibitive.

Good if that is not the case.

Yep, I'm one of those. I moaned a lot about the cost of getting our AoPS book sent here.

But we love it so much that when we soon need the next one, I'll just jump in and buy it. I now know it's well worth every dollar.

It really varies though. I order most of our books through bookdepository, which is based in the UK I believe. That's cheaper a lot of the time than walking into an actual bookshop.

But things like AoPS, well, shops here just don't have them, so we have no choice but to pay the postage to get them here.

Amazon for me is really hit and miss. I sometimes think I've found a bargain and then I get a message that the seller won't post to Australia. Sometimes the postage is waaaay more than the book. Sometimes it's an absolute bargain, because a seller has a used copy for something negligible, like $2, so even with $20+ shipping, it's still a bargain.

I had a to-and-fro email conversation with Ed Zaccaro about this. I wanted some of his books and it was cheaper for me to get them through Amazon than directly from him. He was really, really nice about it and really helpful. He genuinely wanted me to find the cheapest way.

I just never can tell, so I have to hunt around every time I want something.

Right now, I'm enjoying looking through OpenStax and I'm considering Knight (used older edition).

• Like 1