Menu

Planning for 6th and 7th graders - Help?

I will have 6th and 7th graders next year and I remember taking Health class in 7th grade. My kids will be doing Biology at a drop off homeschool program, so I figure that this may be the time to teach Human Health. 

1) As of right now, they think they are headed to our public high school. There is an Anatomy and Physiology class but it is an elective, so there's no guarantee that high school studies will cover it. 

2) I'm not sure how to fit it in given that their schedules already are stressing me out. See below. Any veterans see areas that can be cut or postponed? I'm not a natural teacher so I need the involvement of curricula to boost my confidence.  :)

3) Any recommendations for health curriculums? Secular, if that matters. 

THANK YOU

​Math - Pre-Algebra (finish) and Algebra I

Grammar - Analytical Grammar, Figuratively Speaking

Vocab - Vocabulary of Literature (MCT)

Literature / Writing - Literature class online for both, Free writing on topics / Writing with a Thesis at home

Read Alouds - Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, Across Five Aprils, Diary of Anne Frank, Watership Down (some Glencoe), more...

U.S. History - Hakim Concise revision, Howard Zinn History, America: The Last Best Hope

Geography - Memorial Press Geography 1 (my son is geography lover) 

Science - Biology at school, Story of Inventions, Magic of Reality

Logic - Fallacy Detective

Spanish  - No idea but need something

Computer Literacy - Intro to Coding online class

National Geo Bee, Model UN, Travel Soccer, Skiing, Piano, Horseback Riding and Vounteering at Barn, Volunteering at homeless shelter we've been with for 7 yrs, UU religious education classes

Since you mention secular, you should know that Fallacy Detective is definitely not secular.

I would not personally choose to do Huck Finn with a 6th grader. The themes are much older. And the book itself is difficult, though obviously reading it aloud would help with that. Diary of Anne Frank is another that I wouldn't necessarily choose, just because I don't think it's the best book for learning about the Holocaust if that's your goal.

It does look to me like you're trying to do too much - a full history program with supplements and a full geography program, for example - that's a lot of social studies. And they're taking an outside science, but you're both going to add in things at home and you'd like to do a full health and human body program. Biology covers basic anatomy and physiology as much as a high schooler would need so I wouldn't feel like you absolutely had to cover that at home. If they have an interest, they'll take the elective.

One of my boys is using Breaking the Barrier for Spanish. It's an e-text on the iPad if that's an option for you. He's doing it alongside Duolingo and we're happy with that.

Do you also need algebra suggestions since you didn't name a program? There are some threads on the Logic board that might be useful.

• Like 1

Thank you, Farrar. I follow your blog and your choices have influenced ours so I really appreciate your feedback. In fact, I think you are one of the reasons why we chose Dolciani for Pre-A. :)

Yes, we are taking on too much. Partially I must admit that's the case because sometimes when I log on here I often feel like my kids are so underprepared! 

RE Health: I guess I'm wondering where they'll learn the names of bones and muscles, the systems and how they work and are intertwined, etc in the human body. We talk a lot about health since my child and I have chronic conditions and I am always researching, but I don't remember Biology class going into much depth on human physiology. Given all the time we've spent in natural health and western MDs offices in the past five years I'm thinking that my middle school health class has served me pretty well. LOL

I'll check out your Spanish recommendation and thank you for the logic curriculum tip! I haven't purchased anything yet...just putting some ideas to paper. Much gratitude!

Thank you, Silver Moon. 

Yes, I will junk those Glencoe guides! I was feeling guilty about just reading with the kids but now I won't!

RE Vocab: Do you think I can skip? I often feel that I must do vocabulary since we're not doing Latin and haven't gotten a romance language off the ground?

RE Geography: I'll try but he loves geography and is constantly asking me to quiz him. He's burned through stack the states, nat geo apps, and all blank country maps of the world that I can find. He came in second in the local Nat Geo Bee and he is set on winning it next year. 

I think I'll lighten up history and either take it light in Vocab or not do it all together. Still seems like we'll be frantic, though. Hmmm...

*I* skip vocab. My younger kids have never seen the inside of a vocab book.

For geography, you might look at geo bee prep materials instead, for him to do on his own time. There are oodles of them.

Edited by SilverMoon