Menu

I need energy!

DawnM

I used to go to work all day, then either go to night classes or go to the gym, and then go out with friends, all on work nights.

Now, I go to work, take the kids where they need to go at night, and can barely function the rest of the time.

Yesterday I did pretty much next to nothing to recoup.  I don't want this to be my Saturday routine, but it almost is.  sometimes I go out with friends in the evening on Saturdays, but I can barely clean my house or get groceries purchased.

What kinds of foods give the most energy?  What can I change?  Supplements?  

Thanks,

Dawn

PS:  Low carb is making me feel lethargic and foggy and blah.....I think I need to change that too.

I think it really depends on what's causing it. What works for one person may not for the next.

For me, doubling up on iron supplements has made an immediate difference. Getting enough exercise does too, which is hard when you're tired but the effects are immediately noticeable. Gentle doesn't do it for me, though. I feel my best after really working my body hard--an hour of spinning or after a tough Pilates class or an afternoon skiing. Exercise feeds on itself--the more I get the better I feel and the more inspired I am to make the effort.

It might be worth talking with your doctor to see if you can find the root cause. When I asked mine if my general fog was due to getting older, she said absolutely not. She tested me for iron (which is what I suspected) and sure enough it was insanely low. I'd be super careful self diagnosing though. There are so many causes for fatigue and randomly taking supplements can do more harm than good.

Best of luck.

• Like 2

I think it really depends on what's causing it. What works for one person may not for the next.

For me, doubling up on iron supplements has made an immediate difference. Getting enough exercise does too, which is hard when you're tired but the effects are immediately noticeable. Gentle doesn't do it for me, though. I feel my best after really working my body hard--an hour of spinning or after a tough Pilates class or an afternoon skiing. Exercise feeds on itself--the more I get the better I feel and the more inspired I am to make the effort.

It might be worth talking with your doctor to see if you can find the root cause. When I asked mine if my general fog was due to getting older, she said absolutely not. She tested me for iron (which is what I suspected) and sure enough it was insanely low. I'd be super careful self diagnosing though. There are so many causes for fatigue and randomly taking supplements can do more harm than good.

Best of luck.

I was tested  3 years ago but need to go do it again.

I need the energy to get myself exercising again!  I have a goal of 30 min. right now on workdays, and will be trying to increase that to an hour.

Unfortunately, there is no gym nearby and with my kids needing to be places in the afternoons, I end up not being able to drive to a gym either.  But we do have some equipment t home:  treadmill, weights, Beachbody DVDs, etc....

And wanna hear something funny?  When I typed "beach body" it autocorrected to "Beachboy"  HAHAHAHA!!!!  NO beach boys at my house!  But that might inspire me......shhhhh, don't tell my husband.  

does the sublingual do better than the pills?  I do notice when I take my Vit. B pills regularly it helps.  Maybe not enough though.

Yes, absorption is better, I'd go for a methyl b12, try 1000 mcg to start, they are water soluble so you will just pee out excess.

I'd test out all the other things but I'd bet you are low on d3 and likely iron as well, many of us are, especially d3 in the winter, it is an epidemic. 

I agree with MEMamma too that exercise is good but when you are really busy and tired it is hard to do, I think small attainable goals are the way to go, just even 15 min is a great start, go with what you can keep with.

• Like 1

Depends upon the underlying cause.  If it is adrenal fatigue, then an adrenal supplement.  If it is thyroid, then whatever the doc wants to do about that (or if it is borderline, then whatever supplement the doc recommends).  If it is anemia, then iron.  If it is a virus or infection of some sort, then time or appropriate medication.  If it is diet in general, then fixing the diet.  If it is yo-yo caffeine, then stabilize or cut out the caffeine.  If it is poor sleep, then steps to correct that.  If it is allergies, then antihistamines.  If it is hormonal, then hormonal support. 

If it is a combo, then whatever needs to be addressed.  You might benefit from a good physical and labs to pinpoint what is going on.  In general, a good healthy diet, quality sleep, stress reduction, motion of some sort (cardio, flexibility, strength training) can only help.  But, finding the root cause will give you a direction

Edited by HollyDay

I haven't had a physical for a couple of years.  I know what the results were back then.

Thyroid is normal.  Hormones are ok.  I was diagnosed with "metabolic syndrome" but the cure for that is "lose weight."  But I have trouble doing that as well.  Iron is borderline and I take iron.  I have no idea what "yo-yo caffeine" is.  I take antihistamines.

The problem is, it isn't always as easy as, "Well, just find the cause.  Go to the doctor. Bam, solved."  

does the sublingual do better than the pills? I do notice when I take my Vit. B pills regularly it helps. Maybe not enough though.

Are you taking B vitamin sources that are good for those with mutations too? Those are much more effective, even if you don't "need" them.

http://www.iherb.com/pr/Thorne-Research-Basic-Nutrients-IV-with-Copper-and-Iron-180-Veggie-Caps/18137 - a really great multi

Start with one pill with food a day. That will give you plenty of E, C (important for adrenal health), Bs, and a little of other things. At one a day, that's a 6 month supply and only $7 a month. The dose is 6 a day, but a if you're generally healthy and eat well, one a day is plenty, IMO.

Edited by ifIonlyhadabrain

I haven't had a physical for a couple of years. I know what the results were back then.

Thyroid is normal. Hormones are ok. I was diagnosed with "metabolic syndrome" but the cure for that is "lose weight." But I have trouble doing that as well. Iron is borderline and I take iron. I have no idea what "yo-yo caffeine" is. I take antihistamines.

The problem is, it isn't always as easy as, "Well, just find the cause. Go to the doctor. Bam, solved."

No, there is rarely a "bam solved" solution. It sometimes is helpful to see if there is a direction to start though.

Yo-yo caffeine for me is using caffeine to overcome the mid afternoon sleepies. Then get the crashing fatigue then need more coffee.

Edited by HollyDay

No, there is rarely a "bam solved" solution. It sometimes is helpful to see if there is a direction to start though.

Yo-yo caffeine for me is using caffeine to overcome the mid afternoon sleepies. Then get the crashing fatigue then need more coffee.

It is just that I have been to about 4 doctors in the last few years and when I mention tired they dismiss it.  I don't know a doctor who looks at a 50 year old and says, "Oh, there must be something wrong."  They run tests, nothing is out of the ordinary, they suggest losing weight, exercising, etc.....

I do plan to go see an OB to see how far along in menopause I am, and hopefully that will help.

But most doctors don't think it is a big deal.  

How long have you been low carb? There's an adjustment phase for that, so if you have only been at it a while, you may still be in that yucky-feeling phase.

I have done it off and on.  I once went for 4 months.  I was lethargic, foggy, and had some other issues.  Never mind that I hated it.  I don't even like meat much at all.

My cousin has just lost 65 pounds doing some drastic low carb thing at a clinic.  I am very happy for her, I just don't think I can do it again.

• Like 1

More protein and fresh veggies, less carbs--especially white ones.

D

Iron

Thyroid (if needed)

Ginger tea (anti-inflammatory, digestion aid, and liver support)

More fish, less red meat, but more protein in general

Why less red meat? Beef has tons of bio-available iron and B vitamins.

I haven't had a physical for a couple of years.  I know what the results were back then.

Thyroid is normal.  Hormones are ok.  I was diagnosed with "metabolic syndrome" but the cure for that is "lose weight."  But I have trouble doing that as well.  Iron is borderline and I take iron.  I have no idea what "yo-yo caffeine" is.  I take antihistamines.

The problem is, it isn't always as easy as, "Well, just find the cause.  Go to the doctor. Bam, solved."  

Metabolic syndrome? Have you had your blood sugars checked? If you're starting to cross over the the "pre-diabetic" territory that could explain the fatigue.

Why less red meat? Beef has tons of bio-available iron and B vitamins.

Metabolic syndrome? Have you had your blood sugars checked? If you're starting to cross over the the "pre-diabetic" territory that could explain the fatigue.

I have been told I am pre-diabetic now that you mention it.

I found this for pre-diabetes:

http://www.everydayhealth.com/type-2-diabetes/prediabetes/diet/

It says to limit fats and only have healthy fats.  This is different than what many say.  

It also says to have a lot of fiber.  Unfortunately, I also have IBS and heavy fiber foods can often aggravate that.  I can have some, but not a heavy amount.  

But the rest I can do without a problem.