Menu

Do you currently homeschool?

DawnM

Do you homeschool?  

497 members have voted

1. 1. Do you homeschool? (multiple choice allowed)

• I currently am a homeschooler and HS all of my children
    • I am not currently homeschooling any of my children
    • I have at least one child in a B&M K-12 setting
    • All of my children are in a B&M school (if they are K-12 age) but I used to homeschool
    • All of my children are in a B&M school and I never fully homeschooled (they were after schooled, etc...)
    • My children go to school part time (a true B&M program, not co-op type place)
    • My children go to a co-op or homeschool setting type place for certain classes but we homeschool
    • I am currently a homeschooler and HS at least one of my children
    • Other
    • I homeschooled through high school but my kids are grown/in college/etc..

I chose multiple.

I used to homeschool and homeschool three of my kids K-12.  They are grown.  The other three entered B&M schools at some point in their education.  One due to needing more help with her LD than I could provide.  The other wanted to go to High School and my last because I was pretty burnt out by that point and didn't want to hs an only.   He started school in 3rd grade when his sibling started high school.   These last two also have LD so being in school helped them more too. 

• Like 1

DD8 homeschooled K-2 and is in PS 3rd this year. I am still "homeschooling" my 4yo, but didn't vote for homeschooling a child since she's only Pre-K. They will both be homeschooled next year for K & 4th. Actually there is a chance the K will go to a charter arts academy, she's been accepted, but we're leaning to no on that one. 

I never thought I would not be homeschooling.  Times change, life changes.

I started with my now 20 year old in 1st grade with the Well Trained Mind.  I was in heaven.  4 years later we added my now 16 year old into the 4 year cycle.  I was still in heaven.

Was is easy, hell no.  Was it what I thought was best, absolutely.  Did we have the ideal home school?  I don't know, but we were close knit, highly motivated and I had never been more satisfied doing anything in my life.  I adored planning. I loved being with my kids. We were full on classical, Latin, Greek, the whole deal.

And then, things began to go badly for our oldest and they continued to get worse until in 10th grade, her cognitive abilities were nonexistent, then her physical abilities were shot and she was in a wheelchair.  School was over for her.  She could no longer read even for pleasure.  And then treatment began.  Life in our house was hellish.  We couldn't do anything around her, sounds made her so anxious she would have seizures.  Two years of this and by the time youngest was in 8th grade, she hated, absolutely hated her sister.

We made the decision to put youngest in school.  She was accepted at the local tech school (which is highly competitive) and I went to work part time to help pay for meds and doctors.

Did my heart break?  You have no idea. 

Here we are now, two years later.  Oldest is as good as she will ever get.  Her port came out after a bit over two years and having been on pretty much every iv drug out there, she healed.  She has some neurological issues that will likely never improve and some pain that will never go away completely.  BUT, she is working two jobs and getting married in August to the guy who has been by her side every step of the way since she was 15.  (he was also homeschooled, my best friend is his mom and he is at Umass Boston on a full scholarship honors program BS to masters in 5 years so they won't be carrying any college debt!)  It does make me sad that academically, she went from highly talented and wanting to be a nurse to maybe someday getting the GED.  But she is alive and happy and that was not certain not so long ago.

In her Freshman year youngest was miserable.  She begged to come home.  She hated her sister even more than ever because she blamed her for having to go to public school.

Flash forward to this year and she has been a high honors student every single semester, is going to do all her academics at the community college starting in the fall, and best of all, they are, once again, the best of friends.  She is going to be maid of honor for her sister and is so supportive and loving to her.  For the first time after this long battle, she said to me in the car just last night, Mom is this who I am now?  This happy person?  Because this is awesome.  And my heart lifted in way it hasn't for many years.

We all miss homeschooling and consider ourselves blessed that we were able to for so long.

Like I said though, times change, life changes, and you have to do what is best for your family, as best you are able.

And now I've re-read this numerous times and have hesitated to post it for the last two cups of coffee.  But, maybe someone needs to hear it's ok to make changes.  So, I will share our story for whatever it may be worth. <3

I ABSOLUTELY think you should tell your story! It is worth its weight in gold. Hugs to your family for all that you've been through together. 

I think it is important for parents to know when to say when and make a change that works for their family. You clearly loved home schooling and your children loved learning, but circumstances changed what you were able to do. The foundation you build and the relationships survived what must have been agonizing and terrifying for all of you...I'd say you are an absolute home school success story! 

• Like 4

I homeschooled my three kids from the start (oldest two are twins).  Elementary school was wonderful.  Middle school for the oldest two went great, but I started getting a lot of push-back.  I gave them the option of homeschooling high school or trying ps.  They both wanted to try ps.  One stayed 4 years and graduated, the other stayed 2 years and came back to homeschooing as a mixture of dual-enrollment and online classes, with just a couple of things done fully at home.  They are both freshmen in college now.

Youngest was in 6th when older two went to high school.  Fully intended to keep on with her, but she was miserable at home alone and wanted to try 6th.  She did most of the year there, but came home in April.  She stayed home for 7th and that went great. Halfway through 8th she wanted to go back to ps and try high school, so she was there for the rest of 8th - but only lasted a couple of months in high school.  She's back home doing mostly dual-enrollment and some online classes to round things out.  She did drop her US history course this semester, so we're going to try to do post-Civil War history through documentaries and then have her study for the CLEP.  So technically still homeschooling, but with most everything outsourced, it still feels very different from the homeschooling we did when they were young...

• Like 1

I have always homeschooled all my children. I'm currently homeschooling 5, but I have one that is planning to switch to our public high school in 9th. This is what she's wanting to do, and we're supportive of that choice since we have a decent suburban high school (strong AP program, full Latin program, & all the typical fine arts and other extras). She's strong in every subject and thrives in a group setting, so I think it will be a good match for her personality. 

• Like 1

Dd19- public school k-3, hs 4-7, public 8, private 9-12

Ds16- always in public school special ed

Ds14- hs k-7, public now (8th) with plans to stay in public school through high school.

Dd12- hs k-7. Undecided on where she's going next. She thinks public high school, but 8th grade is up in the air.

I'm in the other category, I think.

I homeschooled my children - they never went to a k-12 B&M school, but both girls have done dual credit.

I'm still homeschooling the youngest while the oldest is away at college.

We did a year of enrichment classes at a local co-op. We've done a few outside classes with dedicated teachers (much better than the co-op). 
They did outside art and music classes too - as well as a Parks & Rec PE class. 

So, I can't say they were *only* homeschooled. 

All three of my kids went to private preschool, but have been homeschooled once they were in Kindergarten.  We did a co-op thing for a couple years that was one day a week of fluff classes, but that wasn't something we enjoyed.  My DD took one class at the local high school a couple years ago and decided she never wanted to go to public school.  She is now doing art school one day a week studying things like drawing, history of theater, anime, etc.  She loves it.  All of her core subjects and other electives are at home.

My plan is to continue to homeschool each through high school graduation.  Obviously things could come up to change that, and if that happens we will adapt the best we can.

Oldest was public schooled until beginning of 9th grade. Homeschooled while waiting for a spot in private. Private 3 and half years. Homeschooling until graduated.

Daughter always public schooled.

Pulled youngest from 2nd grade public right before the holidays, home schooled since. Sadly, most likely going to public next year or the year after.

I've recently noticed more people seeing homeschooling as one option among others, and using a real mix of ways of doing things, on the boards.  People seem to be less likely to be homeschoolers on principle and more because it happens to be the best of the choices around, at least for their child.

I said I have at least one in a b&m school, and am homeschooling some (my dd9 and ds7.)  I have one that is still a baby, and I will probably start her out, at least, homeschooling.

I've generally had a one year at a time approach, but my most significant issues with ps are with the early years, and I think kids do better in a different environment than our public schools give. 

Dd12 went to ps for the first time this year.  It has really been a matter of weighing pros and cons, because while emotionally and socially she is mature enough to do well there, there are aspects of the program that I think are inadequate.  We will likely do some summer schooling over the years to compensate.  OTOH, I was starting to feel that I was neglecting my younger kids in order to teach to her greater needs,  and also the school offered some opportunities I can't, things like gym, other kids, and leadership opportunities.  The main thing though was that she could enter a French immersion program, and I just can't give her similar second language opportunities at home.

As far as the other kids, we may make a similar choice with dd9, though she is much less social and less inclined to seek leadership positions, so we'll see.  I can't say yet about ds7 yet, he's been on a different developmental track than the girls and I don't know where he'll be at that age.

• Like 2

One in college, hsed through 9th grade

One in B&M high school, homeschools through 9th grade

One currently homeschooling in 6th grade.

But I still plan to hang around here with my peeps once I have no more hsers. :)

• Like 2

Longtime HSer but my SN child has never been HSed. She has multiple disabilities and I am not able to meet her needs at home while simultaneously HSing my older 2. So I had a choice to either put her into a B&M program so that I could continue HSing her siblings, or put them in a B&M school to HS her. I chose the former and have no regrets about it.

Last fall my oldest started dual enrollment at the CC because she had gotten past the point where I could teach her in math and I was getting too much pushback from her in general. CC is cheap here ($42/credit) while other outsourcing options are not. We're all happier since she started.

So I'm down to 1 child who is exclusively HSed without any B&M enrollment.

• Like 1

I chose "other" because I have two adult kids that I homeschooled all the way through high school. One is now a jr in college, and the other has graduated from college. My remaining kid is homeschooled and likely will be throughout high school. :) 

I am in my 18th year homeschooling.

I've recently noticed more people seeing homeschooling as one option among others, and using a real mix of ways of doing things, on the boards.  People seem to be less likely to be homeschoolers on principle and more because it happens to be the best of the choices around, at least for their child.

I said I have at least one in a b&m school, and am homeschooling some (my dd9 and ds7.)  I have one that is still a baby, and I will probably start her out, at least, homeschooling.

I've generally had a one year at a time approach, but my most significant issues with ps are with the early years, and I think kids do better in a different environment than our public schools give. 

Dd12 went to ps for the first time this year.  It has really been a matter of weighing pros and cons, because while emotionally and socially she is mature enough to do well there, there are aspects of the program that I think are inadequate.  We will likely do some summer schooling over the years to compensate.  OTOH, I was starting to feel that I was neglecting my younger kids in order to teach to her greater needs,  and also the school offered some opportunities I can't, things like gym, other kids, and leadership opportunities.  The main thing though was that she could enter a French immersion program, and I just can't give her similar second language opportunities at home.

As far as the other kids, we may make a similar choice with dd9, though she is much less social and less inclined to seek leadership positions, so we'll see.  I can't say yet about ds7 yet, he's been on a different developmental track than the girls and I don't know where he'll be at that age.

I definitely started out "homeschooling on principle", but I've gradually moved to looking at it as simply the best choice for our family at this time. Maybe that shift has been due to the changing education culture around me or maybe it's been due to the reality of actually homeschooling multiple kids in multiple stages, but there it is. 

This is why I'm not unhappy that our daughter wants to attend public high school. I have loved homeschooling her, but I already feel like I'm stretched thin. I can't imagine teaching high school classes or transporting her to the university for dual-enrollment without it having a huge impact on the quality of education I can give to my other children. She wants to go to a b&m school, we have a decent public high school, and I want to be able to give more time and energy to my younger children. It might not be the perfect high school education I had imagined, but I'm not sure that's really possible for our family without short-changing someone else along the way.

• Like 2

I homeschool all three of ours, but if I'm honest -- I would send one to school if we had the option. Unfortunately, all three of ours have a variety of special needs that just make brick and mortar school difficult, if not impossible, right now. I love homeschooling, but it's overwhelming right now juggling the needs of a high schooler with language-based learning differences (so she still needs me to be very involved in her work and instruction), with the needs of a medically fragile elementary kiddo with learning differences and a rising Kindergartner with autism, therapies, etc. 

School for next year is on the table for our youngest if we can find a good fit. We do have a local Catholic school (our parish school) that is special needs inclusive and more than happy to try and work with him -- our major concern is that it's a drive for us and if something came up, and they needed me there immediately, it would take me time to navigate traffic and make it there. And him needing me suddenly is a very real possibility. 

I'm an ideological homeschooler. My oldest is in 6th this year, none have ever been to any kind of school.

However, when they hit 15/16/17, they will have much more say in their own education and I will happily facilitate their choices - though our hs years and some cool opportunities up my sleeve may purposely stack the deck in hs favour! Ă°Å¸ËœÅ½

• Like 2

Oldest did private school K and half of 1st,homeschooled from there up through half of 7th.

Next kid homeschooled from the beginning up through 4th so far. He is still homeschooling at the moment.

Third kid homeschooled from the beginning through half of 2nd grade.

Kids #1 and 3 are currently enrolled in virtual public school, so they're at home but are public schooled now. I still have to do some work with the 2nd grader, but the 7th grader is completely independent of me. I've helped him structure a couple essays, but that's it.

My 4th grader will either be in the virtual school next year or going to b&m school, because he needs help that I don't feel qualified to give, and going with independent services is expensive and time consuming (providers are 45 minutes away).

I may homeschool the first couple years for kid #4, but we'll jump off that bridge when we get to it. She just turned 2. :)

I loved homeschooling, but I'm burnt to a crisp at this point, and right now my virtual school kids are getting a better education through the virtual school. Our virtual school program is new this year, but the people running it seem to be doing a good job. They were totally fine with placing my kids where they needed to be in each subject (both tested 3 grades higher in reading and math, so they believed me when I suggested placement).

My 4th grader is about to get a psych eval and needs an IEP before doing virtual school, so we're waiting on him.

We homeschooled for 1.5 years without any outsourcing besides music lessons. Then we have homeschooled with outsourcing/PT school participation for the last 5 years. That has taken many forms from 2-3 classes 2-3 days a week to 1 elective class once a week and, starting in 7th grade, AOPS online math classes. So we have been homeschooling since 2nd grade for our older son and from the beginning for our younger son.

Older son is in 8th grade and has been notified that he's been accepted to a very sought after, top ranked, specialized high school for the 2017-18 school year. That was his first choice for high school and he will go. At this time I think we will continue to homeschool our younger son but we may mix that up in the next 1-2 years depending on if and where we move. Had he not gotten a spot at the specialized school, the primary back up was PT home, PT community college.

We are not ideologically driven homescholers. We came to it by accident due to the trifecta shit storm/competing needs of ASD, "gifted" and a horrific bullying ordeal. I've always taken it year by year and the boys have a lot of say in where and how (they pick classes and help pick any materials/curriculum). The opportunity that my older son has for high school wouldn't be realistic for him without the extra support, therapy and skill building (social, executive function, mental health, coping etc) that homeschooling has made possible.

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 1

Always homeschooled since K, Currently homeschooling a senior and sophomore who will be homeschooled all the way through as well. Currently no coops or enrichment classes, have never done community college dual enrollment, but probably will for youngest next year or senior year when she can drive herself, possibly homeschool enrichment classes next year as well.

Also one graduate, also homeschooled K-12

I have always homeschooled my kids except for the first two school years of the eldest child's life.

We have two teens to get through these last couple of years. (This has been a 25 year adventure).

If I would give anyone advice on anything, it would be to keep your foot in the door of employment and your own education. You never know what could happen to turn your world upside down.

• Like 1

I think the range of response is so wide because these boards are so old.  Some of us were homeschooling when the first edition of TWTM came out and joined those original boards.  I lot can happen in, what, 15 years?  

I only have two children.  The oldest homeschooled K-8 and went to public high school.  She's a sophomore in college.  My youngest went to developmental preschool, but homeschooled K-now.  He's a 10th grader now and will homeschool through high school.  We joined a weekly co-op when my youngest hit double digits.  We've never experienced a drop-off style homeschool tutorial.  I rather like the idea of them, but there are no secular ones that I know of.  

ETA:  Another thought I had is that this board is populated by a lot of people who homeschool for more academic reasons.  It is much harder to provide a rigorous high school experience than it was to stay ahead of the schools in elementary school.  My area has good schools.  By high school, most of the academic homeschoolers are outsourcing classes to community colleges or private tutors.  It's almost like they are in a different 'school' building for every class.  It's just not worth the time and expense it takes to provide a true lab experience in your kitchen.  I know about 2 people with the equipment and the know-how to do a job that is consistently comparable to what is happening in our local schools or community colleges (who do offer homeschooler specific classes.) That's just science!  That level of commitment across every subject is HARD for one mom to pull off.  I feel like I'm limping to the finish line here.

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 5

I am homeschooling my last, a junior. So just under three semesters and done.

Dd is a college grad. Ds one is a college sophomore. Ds two is a college freshman.

I began in 1997 and homeschooled for four years, took a two year break and taught at a Lutheran K-8 then took it up again in 2004 and will be done in 2018 so a total of 18 years when I am done plus I have taught, tutored, and mentored several couch surfing teens/young adults who were behind in high school education and helped them move on to community college, professional licensing programs, and college. So I am ready for the next phase of life.

• Like 1

We're still following our plan which is to homeschool younger two through 8th. Oldest special needs dd was never homeschooled. 16 yo dd homeschooled exclusively through 5th, did a couple of classes at the middle school (band and science) for 6th-8th and everything else at home, and is now in her third year at the public high school and doing great. Youngest is following that same path--currently in 8th grade doing band, science, and Spanish at the middle school while finishing up our homeschool journey for all other subjects. Off to high school next year and she's looking forward to it.

I am not sure if I clicked on the right category.  My two sons take two classes at the local PS and my daughter is attending 8th grade abroad.  We are moving in the summer and my daughter will return so next year I will have three high schoolers at home.  The PS district where we are moving does not allow part-time attendance.

My 3 year old is in private preschool full-time. Unsure if we will homeschool him for K.

My 8 year old has been homeschooled (through a public charter) since K, but we take it year by year.

Edited by SeaConquest

I am not sure if I clicked on the right category.  My two sons take two classes at the local PS and my daughter is attending 8th grade abroad.  We are moving in the summer and my daughter will return so next year I will have three high schoolers at home.  The PS district where we are moving does not allow part-time attendance.

How are your kids with the move?

We have mentioned to our boys that we may be moving either this summer or next.  At first they said they didn't want to move until they finished HS, but they are warming up to the idea now and looking at the many opportunities they will have in our new location vs. here.

But I think they still are not sure (they don't get the ultimate say, but we are wanting their input)

My oldest has graduate. My middle is doing dual enrollment and taking AP Calc with Derek Owens at a hybrid school. My youngest takes 3 classes at a hybrid school, 1 class online, 1 class at an arts center and 2 classes with me. I teach at the hybrid school and tutor a lot of homeschool students. 

I homeschooled my oldest two through high school and they are in college now (a jr and freshman). My third is also homeschooled, he is a junior in high school. My fourth wanted to go to high school, and so she is there (a freshman). She is doing quite well, even though she has admitted that she would have learned more staying home, but socially, she needed to go to school. My fifth, is a 7th grader, he does a one day a week enrichment program, that has been disappointing. He will homeschool next year and then go to dd2's school. He is social and sporty and not at all academically driven (like his sister) and would not be happy at home in his last years as the only kid at home.

• Like 1

I think I answered the poll wrong. :lol:

DS 10 did one year of Montessori, then HS ever since.

DD & DS 6 did 3 years at Montessori, until K and started HS in 1st grade.

Our plans are up in the air.  We will be HSing at least for the next 4-5 years.  I think.  I'm in the process of applying to grad school and if studying and HSing becomes too much, we will reevaluate.

ETA:  I answered correctly, I got confused with the posts.

Edited by Runningmom80

Older two are homeschool graduates and never went to B&M school. Oldest has two college degeees and second will be a college graduate this May.

Younger two started a university-model school in fourth and sixth grades. One is now in tenth grade and the other a senior this year. The combination of homeschool and private school has been a good fit for our family.

I homeschool 1, 2 attend B&M schools f/t, 1 is enrolled in a B&M school but does all his work at home and just checks in with school once every week or 2 to hand in materials and pick up more. 

I homeschooled all 4 for 10 years, the last several I was doing college and working 2-3 jobs, I moved past burn out last year and was on my way to a full blown nervous breakdown.  I enrolled all 4 in B&M schools, ds13 didn't make it to halloween before I had him back homeschooling.  I also went down to 1 job, and thanks to graduating from one college program last June and only needing 1 course in the fall for my other program my entire burden was lightened.  Here we are Feb, like I said 1 homeschooling, 1 sort of, about to take on a 2nd job again and graduate college yet again come June.  Plan is depending on work schedule bringing youngest back home to graduate next year.

At the end of the day, it is about what works best for each individual child and for my mental health.  I philosophically believe homeschooling is better BUT will not throw my family away for the sake of philosophy.  Reality needs to be the focus.

• Like 1

I think the range of response is so wide because these boards are so old.  Some of us were homeschooling when the first edition of TWTM came out and joined those original boards.  I lot can happen in, what, 15 years?  

I only have two children.  The oldest homeschooled K-8 and went to public high school.  She's a sophomore in college.  My youngest went to developmental preschool, but homeschooled K-now.  He's a 10th grader now and will homeschool through high school.  We joined a weekly co-op when my youngest hit double digits.  We've never experienced a drop-off style homeschool tutorial.  I rather like the idea of them, but there are no secular ones that I know of.  

ETA:  Another thought I had is that this board is populated by a lot of people who homeschool for more academic reasons.  It is much harder to provide a rigorous high school experience than it was to stay ahead of the schools in elementary school.  My area has good schools.  By high school, most of the academic homeschoolers are outsourcing classes to community colleges or private tutors.  It's almost like they are in a different 'school' building for every class.  It's just not worth the time and expense it takes to provide a true lab experience in your kitchen.  I know about 2 people with the equipment and the know-how to do a job that is consistently comparable to what is happening in our local schools or community colleges (who do offer homeschooler specific classes.) That's just science!  That level of commitment across every subject is HARD for one mom to pull off.  I feel like I'm limping to the finish line here.

I think your right about the academic aspect - if a good academic outcome is an important reason, there are going to be different ways to get that.

Also, with that in mind, while lots of people here seem to feel kids aren't as well served academically with many elementary level public schools, or even institutional schools of any kind, you won't find many who are against the academic possibilities of institutions like universities or colleges, with formal classes and subject matter experts to teach.

Somewhere in between, the kids become people for whom that can be an appropriate way to educate, and it may well be before they get to the university level.

• Like 2