Menu

1st backpacking trip--updated

Rachel

About a month ago I posted looking for tips regarding my first long day hike, it was so fun. This weekend I'll be backpacking for the first time. We will hike 12 miles the first day, camp, then hike 14 miles the second day. I'm equal parts excited and nervous.

Last night I kept dreaming I needed to be to the shuttle (over an hour away) in 15 minutes and I still hadn't figured out my food. I was so stressed it still bothered me when I woke up.

I went food shopping today, I decided to skip taking a stove and just take food that doesn't have to be cooked. It seemed easier than figuring out how to cook in a backpacking stove while tired.

I borrowed a few things from a friend, fortunately he had a much nicer sleeping pad than my 15 year old Walmart version. His sleeping bag is also much lighter. The weather should be great, it's supposed to be in the low 40s at night and 60s during the day.

The big thing I'm nervous about is raccoons, I have a phobia of them and I'm worried they will come through the campsite. I'm going to pretend my tent to racoon proof!

Ok technically this isn't my first backpacking trip, but I haven't been since I lived at home many, many years ago so if definitely feels like my first time.

UPDATE:

I had the best time and I'm going again next month. We got rained on most of Saturday despite the forecast saying otherwise. It wasn't a downpour though so my old rain gear worked fine. I had already planned to replace it, but that has moved up on my priority list.

I packed just the right amount of food and my borrowed sleeping bag/pad worked out very well. We hit the trail around 7:15 Sunday morning. I was pretty tired by the end of those 12 miles after hiking 14 the day before and had a couple blisters, but overall had a blast. I made notes of what worked and what didn't so I can improve on my experience for next time. I can't believe I haven't combined my hiking and camping before. I guess the mild weather this winter has helped.

There were no animals on the trail, just a few birds, we didn't even see squirrels which is a little weird. As we get further south the likelihood of seeing bears will increase but I imagine with such a large group, they will stay away from the trail. They are not common around here yet. I made some new hiking buddies, it was great meeting people with similar interests. With not working I've missed the camaraderie of working with people toward a goal, it was nice having that experience again.

If you've never backpacked and enjoy hiking, I recommend giving it a shot.

Edited by Rach
  • Like 2

Just a word of warning that those are LONG hikes each day. If you haven't backpacked those distances recently (or hiked w/o large pack at least 50% longer, so 20 mile days back to back), I highly suggest you have a backup plan with shorter routes. Carrying an overnight pack SERIOUSLY increases the workload compared to a day hike. For instance, if I could comfortably do a 12 mile day hike (with a small day pack or just water/snacks) on a particular trail system, I'd probably limit the back-pack-laden hike to 6-8 miles (and be quite worn out by the end of the day, comparatively). 

I have done many, many backpacking trips. When I was in my 20s and very strong, we still only planned 8 or so miles/day at most (given, those usually had significant elevation changes on rough trails, with the hike in being up hill and the hike out mostly downhill). Occasionally, maybe we did 10 miles if there was some really good reason to do so, but we were *really* experienced and strong and had just the right equipment for our bodies, broken in boots, etc. The only people I've known who did trips that long (12-14 miles/day) were really, really, really hardcore backpackers -- either ultra-walkers who backpacked for dozens of nights a year and knew exactly what they were doing and were on relatively mild trails such as the AT . . . or ultra-athletes like my brother (who did Ironman Triathalons, ran/biked/swam 10-15 hours a week for a lifetime, etc.) 

Also, don't forget that mis-cues are routine on trails. It's very, very common to do one or more ooopsie (missing a turn, etc.) that costs you a mile or few . . . Another reason not to over plan (especially if there isn't an easy way to cut a corner to shorten your route if needed).

Anyway, I hope you have a FANTASTIC time. Pack light, pack warm, pack dry, and be sure you have plenty of water. 

Edited by StephanieZ
  • Like 5

About a month ago I posted looking for tips regarding my first long day hike, it was so fun. This weekend I'll be backpacking for the first time. We will hike 12 miles the first day, camp, then hike 14 miles the second day. I'm equal parts excited and nervous.

Last night I kept dreaming I needed to be to the shuttle (over an hour away) in 15 minutes and I still hadn't figured out my food. I was so stressed it still bothered me when I woke up.

I went food shopping today, I decided to skip taking a stove and just take food that doesn't have to be cooked. It seemed easier than figuring out how to cook in a backpacking stove while tired.

I borrowed a few things from a friend, fortunately he had a much nicer sleeping pad than my 15 year old Walmart version. His sleeping bag is also much lighter. The weather should be great, it's supposed to be in the low 40s at night and 60s during the day.

The big thing I'm nervous about is raccoons, I have a phobia of them and I'm worried they will come through the campsite. I'm going to pretend my tent to racoon proof!

Ok technically this isn't my first backpacking trip, but I haven't been since I lived at home many, many years ago so if definitely feels like my first time.

I'd not worry about raccoons.  They are usually only after food  which we don't keep in our tent.  When we backpack, we usually just bungee cord our packs to a tree unless we need to bear bag.  Now, if you like to keep your food and pack in your tent,  you'll probably have a few visitors.  Keep your food and pack outside your ten,t and you'll have no worries.  

If we are staying in closed shelters, then we usually " bag "our food  then unzip all of the pockets on our packs because of mice.   

The only thing I'd rethink on your plans is the cold food.  Its really nice to have a warm breakfast and  coffee or tea.  Is a "pocket rocket" in your budget?  They are extremely lightweight and easy to use.  

I'd not worry about the distance.  Even with our beginners, we project a distance of about two miles per hour and add in lunch time.  

Have fun!  We love backpacking , especially with a group. 

Edited by Artichoke
  • Like 3

I'd not worry about raccoons. They are usually only after food which we don't keep in our tent. When we backpack, we usually just bungee cord our packs to a tree unless we need to bear bag. Now, if you like to keep your food and pack in your tent, you'll probably have a few visitors. Keep your food and pack outside your ten,t and you'll have no worries.

If we are staying in closed shelters, then we usually " bag "our food then unzip all of the pockets on our packs because of mice.

The only thing I'd rethink on your plans is the cold food. Its really nice to have a warm breakfast and coffee or tea. Is a "pocket rocket" in your budget? They are extremely lightweight and easy to use.

I'd not worry about the distance. Even with our beginners, we project a distance of about two miles per hour and add in lunch time.

Have fun! We love backpacking , especially with a group.

I know I shouldn't worry about the raccoons but when I worked on a farm we had some rather brave and mean ones, they sparked my irrational fear.

This is an organized group hike so it's a lot different than being completely on my own. I'm pretty excited and the weather will be about perfect considering it's February.

• Like 1

Sounds awesome! Such nice weather for February. I only take a stove if I am backpacking with my kids. I have done lots of extended backpacking trips and just prefer to go stoveless. I guess cooking all the time at home makes me much less interested in cooking on the trail.

I have never encountered raccoons on the trail - bear, moose, porcupine, yes, but not raccoon. You must be somewhere in the south. I would think being in a group would keep them away.

Have fun!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

I had the best time and I'm going again next month. We got rained on most of Saturday despite the forecast saying otherwise. It wasn't a downpour though so my old rain gear worked fine. I had already planned to replace it, but that has moved up on my priority list.

I packed just the right amount of food and my borrowed sleeping bag/pad worked out very well. We hit the trail around 7:15 Sunday morning. I was pretty tired by the end of those 12 miles after hiking 14 the day before and had a couple blisters, but overall had a blast. I made notes of what worked and what didn't so I can improve on my experience for next time. I can't believe I haven't combined my hiking and camping before. I guess the mild weather this winter has helped.

There were no animals on the trail, just a few birds, we didn't even see squirrels which is a little weird. As we get further south the likelihood of seeing bears will increase but I imagine with such a large group, they will stay away from the trail. They are not common around here yet. I made some new hiking buddies, it was great meeting people with similar interests. With not working I've missed the camaraderie of working with people toward a goal, it was nice having that experience again.

If you've never backpacked and enjoy hiking, I recommend giving it a shot.

• Like 2