Menu

All in one Lang Arts for 8-9 year old

Jungle Mama

Hi

My youngest is not getting a lot of my time (I also have a 12 and 15 year old doing more intense school this year) and wondered if you knew of one resource or concept that would cover most language arts content in one package.  I realised the other day that we are doing grammar (Winston Grammar) and composition (IEW) but the other resources I have are too easy for him. 

I need to stretch him but not so far that I end up having to do intense school with him too.  At least not this year.  Next year should be better for him to get focused attention.

So far I have come across this.  http://www.criticalthinking.com/language-smarts-level-d.html

I live in Australia so shipping kills my school budget. The above book comes as an ebook version. :D

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Jen in Oz

Learning Language Arts Through Literature is a complete language arts program. I used this with my 3rd, 6th, and 8th graders on their levels. It's very gentle, but thorough. Most can be done independently, but there are some parts that you will have to help with (dictation, spelling, new concepts). It's fairly cheap and includes book studies.

As a review, I found LLATL to be disjointed.  We used it for 6th and it gave us headaches.  The book studies are thrown in without direction and if the program is used as intended it creates a very long year.

We have not used Language Smarts but it is set up similar to Mathematical Reasoning.  It is a workbook to take you through the skills.  Interesting, but you might get tired of the format.

There is also English Lessons Through Literature that comes as a pdf.  You have a set of books to read aloud (classic literature), poetry memorization, grammar, dictation, and copywork.  You can get a pdf sampler of the books for free on Lulu to see if it would be a good fit.  You don't have to have the workbook.  You can choose to write out the copywork and exercises on your own if you prefer.

For book-books, I like Writing Tales at that age.  It follows the progymnasmata style of writing instruction and has grammar, composition, (light) spelling, and comprehension.  It also throws in hands on games.

Hi

My youngest is not getting a lot of my time (I also have a 12 and 15 year old doing more intense school this year) and wondered if you knew of one resource or concept that would cover most language arts content in one package.  I realised the other day that we are doing grammar (Winston Grammar) and composition (IEW) but the other resources I have are too easy for him. 

I need to stretch him but not so far that I end up having to do intense school with him too.  At least not this year.  Next year should be better for him to get focused attention.

So, are you still wanting to keep WG and IEW? What other resources are too easy?

Do recommendations need to be secular?

My eight year old, soon-to-be-9, has been using Cottage Press materials for almost two years and we'll be continuing next year into fourth grade.  It covers grammar, spelling, vocabulary, and composition all in one place.  It's a gentle program, but still does a thorough job teaching and stretching my daughter's mind.  It doesn't require much from me.

I'm trying out Cottage Press (1st level) materials with my dd2 now, I bought it for next year but we are doing a bit at the end of this year to see how we like it. I like the look of it and I think it will work for her but it is hard to say until we get further into it. I've never tried anything all in one for my others as both are at least somewhat asynchronous but my second daughter is a totally different kid, she doesn't need extensive spelling remediation and has no difficulty writing. I don't want to do a ton for 2nd grade but I was looking for something a bit more than just WWE, of coure part way in we could decide that it is too much or just doesn't fit her. I like the fact that it has a bit of nature and artist study in it, I like that it is all together. It is not secular however!

So, are you still wanting to keep WG and IEW? What other resources are too easy?

Do recommendations need to be secular?

I would still like to keep WG so I don't have to "learn" a new program.  IEW I could skip for a year because he is rebelling a bit against the amount of writing but I don't want to cave in when his older brothers are using the upper levels successfully.  Another program would mean something new to learn and again not something I want to do.

He is good at working on worksheets, has never really liked me teaching him but prefers to have me close by while he works independently.  He is a good reader.

I work 3 nights a week to midnight so my brain won't cope with more "new" that really needs me.  Something has to give and this year it is his language arts.

The easy work was an Australian resource called Fitzroy Readers but they are meant for struggling readers and early readers.  He is neither of those now but he has liked the format so I kept blindly going on without realising he has outgrown them.

I would prefer secular if possible please.  Open to Christian though.

Thanks for the help.

Best wishes

Jen in Oz

So after looking at them I have realised I already have FLL on the shelf that does a very similar job.  I have the edition with two levels in it.  That would require too much of my attention during school time. 

English Lessons and Cottage Press are both lovely but I have a boy who doesn't like poetry and doesn't like to do drawings.

Thank you for the suggestions so far.

Best wishes

Jen in Oz

Moving Betond the Page is total LA and has an online version. You read 12 novels a year and use examples from the book to learn grammar and editing. There are plenty of writing assignments too and lots of scaffolding. It's spelling is really just a word list, so you may need something different for that.