Menu

Where would you send this kid?

If you had a politically conservative, introverted child who was very interested in history, particularly military history, which colleges would you consider? Very few schools seem to offer military history and schools with good history programs are often at large, liberal colleges. I think he'd do fine academically at most schools, but I'd like to find a college that's a good fit.

St. Mary's University in San Antonio has a history professor who is regarded by many as the best professor on campus who specializes in military history--don't know about their major.  It is a smaller school--about 3000 students with a fairly conservative student population

• Like 1

When I read your original post I thought that you were writing about my son.   :)

Ds16 loves history, especially military history. ;) I have no advice for you, though; he is looking to major in criminal justice.

ETA: also politically conservative introvert

Edited by Junie

Hillsdale in Michigan is conservative and strong in the liberal arts.  I don't know about military history, though.

eta: Maybe Washington and Lee in Virginia?

I second Hillsdale! They don't take money from the govt so aren't held to certain terms, is my understanding. They're conservative.

Just to throw a thought out here...it's quite possible to love military history and continue to read and study it without actually majoring in it or having a career in it.  Such is the case for someone close to me who has a degree in engineering from West Point and a law degree; his kindle has become a permanent body part.  Perhaps when he retires from practicing law, he will find something to do related to military history.

• Like 1

Just to throw a thought out here...it's quite possible to love military history and continue to read and study it without actually majoring in it or having a career in it.  Such is the case for someone close to me who has a degree in engineering from West Point and a law degree; his kindle has become a permanent body part.  Perhaps when he retires from practicing law, he will find something to do related to military history.

Yes, I know that, but he lives and breathes military history. He does armor modeling in his spare time. He's counting down the days until he's old enough to  join a WW2 reenacting group.  The only video games he's interested in are World of Tanks and War Thunder. He studies books about weapons and memorizes them. He wants to volunteer at the local military preservation society which is mostly comprised of old veterans. He even wants to dress in WW2 military clothing! He's a bit obsessed and, at least right now, can't imagine a career that doesn't involve history. He has some interesting and creative ideas for how to use his knowledge and if he's anything like my other sons, he'll probably find a way to do it.