Menu

Help outsourcing for GT middle schooler who doesn't want to do online classes

Runningmom80

Ugh, my wonderful boy is ruining my plans. ;)

He's tried online classes at both G3 and Athenas, with mixed reviews. Athenas he did not like at all because of the subject matter (sotw) and G3 he liked the subject (scratch workshop) and did well but says he doesn't enjoy learning that way, he likes "in person" classes. He is a daydreamer so I can totally see why this kind of learning may not be the best choice for him.

So now I'm stumped. He's not ready for CC in any way shape or form, and all of the "homeschool" classes in our area are aimed at the elementary set.

He does enjoy HSA and skyping with his tutor, but I'm hoping to get him around other kids too.

Any suggestions on where to start? I don't need to outsource everything but I was hoping to get more than just Spanish outsourced. The subjects we are thinking we would want to outsource are earth science or astronomy, history, and computer science. He's really into computers, he's gotten into genetics this year with biology so I do think he can find some more niches in science. Astronomy is one he is always bringing up.

He can handle upper high school input with late elementary/early middle school output.

I appreciate any advice on either making online work or where to look for in person options.

For astronomy, we have the most success with local astronomy clubs public outreach events. There are many knowledgeable people there and it is for all ages.

For programming, we make use of the free classes at the library for teens (6th-12th) for social needs.

I will have to look for an astronomy club again.  I've looked in the past and not had much luck.  Thank you for the help!

We have a science museum which is relatively local. They will do summer day campish activities that are really just two week intensive classes and they also do afterschool "workshops" that are more along the lines of an outsourced science class without grading. It would be a jumping off point. It is not a class, but definitely he would leatn cool stuff. More than likely he would be initially closer to his age than academic level, but quickly that could shift by building a relationship with the organization.

Out in the boonies, we have lots of astronomy clubs and a federal observatory, but I don't think you were located in Portland.

Music lessons have been our major, long standing class that is in person. He is working on adding in another instrument soon.

The libraries often have conversation hours and storytimes in Spanish. He would be a bit if an outlier, but if that did not bother him. We did Spanish storytime until Ds was 11.

• Like 1

We have a science museum which is relatively local. They will do summer day campish activities that are really just two week intensive classes and they also do afterschool "workshops" that are more along the lines of an outsourced science class without grading. It would be a jumping off point. It is not a class, but definitely he would leatn cool stuff. More than likely he would be initially closer to his age than academic level, but quickly that could shift by building a relationship with the organization.

Out in the boonies, we have lots of astronomy clubs and a federal observatory, but I don't think you were located in Portland.

Music lessons have been our major, long standing class that is in person. He is working on adding in another instrument soon.

The libraries often have conversation hours and storytimes in Spanish. He would be a bit if an outlier, but if that did not bother him. We did Spanish storytime until Ds was 11.

Our science museum is not great when it comes to classes.  We've tried several and they are all lacking.  The teachers aren't engaging and the information isn't in the in depth kind I had hoped for.  I might be able to find something at our history museum though, I'll have to take a look.

I'm in the midwest, so def not Portland. :)  We do have a great park system though with lots of programs.  I mentioned the astronomy club and he lit up.

He's in piano and we are looking into a producing music on the computer class for him.  His piano teacher really wants to get him writing music so I'll have her help me out with this.

Spanish story time would be so great for him, he would probably love it once he gets a little more fluent.  I'll have to look for that.