Menu

Lego set for 5yo

How patient is your daughter and how many pieces is the set? Link is to the star wars sets for 6-8. https://shop.lego.com/en-US/Star-Wars-ByTheme?S1=&all=1&callback=json&cc=us&count=18&do=json-db&i=1&jsonp=jsonCallback&lang=en&pt=shop&q=*&q1=AE0F776D-FD75-4DB9-9DAD-AD4852EC41F3&q2=setTypesFacetCategory&q3=6-8&rank=rankUS&showRetired=false&sort=sort_flags&sp_q_exact_9=us&x1=theme_id&x2=productType_id&x3=age-range

My boys had no problem with those at a young age once they have the patience to deal with over 2000 pieces of Lego in a set. They were going for the 14 and older sets.

How patient is your daughter and how many pieces is the set? Link is to the star wars sets for 6-8. https://shop.lego.com/en-US/Star-Wars-ByTheme?S1=&all=1&callback=json&cc=us&count=18&do=json-db&i=1&jsonp=jsonCallback&lang=en&pt=shop&q=*&q1=AE0F776D-FD75-4DB9-9DAD-AD4852EC41F3&q2=setTypesFacetCategory&q3=6-8&rank=rankUS&showRetired=false&sort=sort_flags&sp_q_exact_9=us&x1=theme_id&x2=productType_id&x3=age-range

My boys had no problem with those at a young age once they have the patience to deal with over 2000 pieces of Lego in a set. They were going for the 14 and older sets.

She's pretty patient and focused and has good fine motor skills. The set is 193 pieces and is one of the smaller ships

I would let her have the set. I made my boys pour the pieces onto a tray because it is hard to find small missing pieces on carpeted floors.

Yeah. I plan to have her at the table and to put her pieces in a shallow dish. we have a 3yo too who is set on destruction.

My mom was hesitant to get it because she said my nephew struggled with the older sets at that age. But we've never had a set so I didn't know what to expect from the age range they list.

Do it!  My 6yo can do the non-duplo LEGO sets, although it's hard to say how much she does, and how much one of her brothers does for her.  Not her fault, he just steps in there to "help."  I don't think size is necessarily an issue as much as attention span, but you can do it in spurts.

Also, I've been warned that the Friends LEGOs have painted on clothes that wear off after a while, leaving the girls.... topless.......  So be pleased she's into the Star Wars LEGOs :)

Do it! My 6yo can do the non-duplo LEGO sets, although it's hard to say how much she does, and how much one of her brothers does for her. Not her fault, he just steps in there to "help." I don't think size is necessarily an issue as much as attention span, but you can do it in spurts.

Also, I've been warned that the Friends LEGOs have painted on clothes that wear off after a while, leaving the girls.... topless....... So be pleased she's into the Star Wars LEGOs :)

Yeah I'm not a fan of the Friends ones. I'm sure my dd would like them but I hate how stereotypically girl they are. Hair dressers and shopping centers

• Like 1

It should be fine. DD occasionally needed help with some of the more fiddly parts (mostly the moving Technics style ones) until about age 9, but could do most lego builds unassisted at 5, even the 12+ sets. The only frustrating part was that some of the really impressive looking builds aren't good to play with afterwards (As DD puts it, the Ninjago dragons come from the land of Fragile), so at age 5-7 or so, the best fits were the ones that were essentially dollhouse sets for minifigs, since they could be played with, expanded, and rebuilt easily.

• Like 3

It should be fine. DD occasionally needed help with some of the more fiddly parts (mostly the moving Technics style ones) until about age 9, but could do most lego builds unassisted at 5, even the 12+ sets. The only frustrating part was that some of the really impressive looking builds aren't good to play with afterwards (As DD puts it, the Ninjago dragons come from the land of Fragile), so at age 5-7 or so, the best fits were the ones that were essentially dollhouse sets for minifigs, since they could be played with, expanded, and rebuilt easily.

My DD7 has loved the friends sets, but this set of fairy tale and historic figurines have been most awesome (mermaids, wizards, knights, etc) supplement for open-ended play:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0085Y3GCW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We have both a blue 'boy' and the pink 'girl' junior suitcase sets of legos (both gifts) and those have also been a little more open ended compared to building one single thing type of set, especially as they got mixed in together fairly quickly. We just keep adding more pieces to the suitcase as they're good for holding more pieces. We got those when she was 5 I think.  She's attracted to the impressive and visually appealing Elves sets right now.

My DD7 has loved the friends sets, but this set of fairy tale and historic figurines have been most awesome (mermaids, wizards, knights, etc) supplement for open-ended play:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0085Y3GCW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We have both a blue 'boy' and the pink 'girl' junior suitcase sets of legos (both gifts) and those have also been a little more open ended compared to building one single thing type of set, especially as they got mixed in together fairly quickly. We just keep adding more pieces to the suitcase as they're good for holding more pieces. We got those when she was 5 I think.  She's attracted to the impressive and visually appealing Elves sets right now.

That figures set looks amazing. Do you know if they're normally that expensive or if I should look around for better prices?