Menu

Grammar after FLL

lgliser

This year we opted not to do WWE 4, but instead used Treasured Conversations, First Language Lessons 4, and Writing & Rhetoric for our language arts/writing.  I’ve really loved FLL and wish there were higher levels!

I had always kind of thought we’d move to Shurley after FLL, but now I'm thinking about Rod and Staff more.  What do you think the easiest transition would be?  Something other than those two options?

Is one more suited for the kids to do independently?  That would be a major plus.  

We have used some of the jingles from Shurley and that has helped them retain definitions.

If we are continuing with Writing and Rhetoric, is there a part of Rod and Staff that we would leave out?  Seems like I have read that there’s a writing portion that some leave out.  Would it be overkill to do it along with doing Writing and Rhetoric?  

R&S is designed for school classes, yes?  Is it easy/obvious to tweak for homeschooling (and possibly keeping any writing portion out of)?

I've also heard good things about Classical Ac. Press Well ordered language and Easy Grammar. Obviously there are so many options. And I have spent a lot of time perusing old topics on these forums. I hope you don't mind talking this out with me!

I had always kind of thought we’d move to Shurley after FLL, but now I'm thinking about Rod and Staff more.  What do you think the easiest transition would be?  Something other than those two options?

Is one more suited for the kids to do independently?  That would be a major plus.  

If we are continuing with Writing and Rhetoric, is there a part of Rod and Staff that we would leave out?  Seems like I have read that there’s a writing portion that some leave out.  Would it be overkill to do it along with doing Writing and Rhetoric?  

R&S is designed for school classes, yes?  Is it easy/obvious to tweak for homeschooling (and possibly keeping any writing portion out of)?

We only did FLL 1 & 2, since that's all that existed when my children were that age, and after that, went into Rod & Staff 3, continuing through 8. I haven't tried any of the other programs you mention, so can't compare.

It is very easy to tweak for homeschooling and to leave the writing out. From the teacher book, from the suggested classroom plan, I only used the review question portion to start out each lesson. These questions are one of the strengths of the curriculum. The writing-related lessons have a star in the table of contents, so it's easy to identify skippable lessons and to see how many are left for planning purposes.

It can be independent if your child writes out the answers to the exercises, but I chose to do most of it orally to save them writing and to correct any errors immediately. The lessons are reasonable for a student to read and understand without reading through it with them, IMO.

Erica in OR

Advanced Language Lessons is supposed to be out soon--you could just hang out for a couple of months and see if ALL becomes available in a timeline that works for you.

Oh wow! Somehow I missed this! We won't need it until next fall. So if you were in my boat, would this be a no brainer? I was all resigned to the fact that we'd need to use something different!

I was just reading a thread: http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/633128-trying-to-understand-5th-curriculum-line-up/?hl=%2B5th+%2Bgrade+%2Bscience&do=findComment&comment=7372865

It's suggested to take 5th grade grammar off. I never considered this! How many people do that? I still think we'd want to do SOMETHING.... just really light maybe. I don't know ... what do people think?

I didn't have a plan for 5th grade grammar. I wanted him to feel comfortable just writing again (IEW-SWI A and journaling) and to wait for ALL or for Analytical Grammar.

But DS found Khan Academy has grammar and begs me for extra time for it and the math. I didn't expect a ton of learning, but it has proved effective for him. He also randomly participates in his little brother's FLL chants and definitions. I keep ignoring the enthusiasm in the hope I don't stifle it before Sept. 😄

Oh wow! Somehow I missed this! We won't need it until next fall. So if you were in my boat, would this be a no brainer? I was all resigned to the fact that we'd need to use something different!

Just popping in from the high school boards (as I have youngers too). We did FLL to the end, then moved to ALL (at that time, they had the unedited, incomplete copy they were willing to share/email) and completed that 1st half of 5th grade. Then we moved to Analytical Grammar 6-8th grade - then no grammar 9th grade on. I'm on my 3rd child in 5th grade now, using the incomplete ALL now, and so far, so good. My high schooler has great grammar skills. So I would definitely move to ALL after FLL (if not available yet, see about emailing them about the incomplete version) - then move to Analytical Grammar. I wouldn't skip grammar until you're done with it, by about high school.

• Like 1

ALL sounds like it will be renamed "Grammar for the Well Trained Mind" (or something like that). SWB says it should be out for the fall. There will be a core book (like WWE) with a workbook for each year. (Nothing on Amazon yet, but WTMA has two classes listed where they say they will use the first year's workbook.)

We usually do heavy writing one year with little to no grammar, then heavy grammar the next year with lighter writing (writing across the curriculum vs. a special writing curriculum). Of course, I don't start grammar until around third grade, so take my experience with a grain of salt.

My high schoolers (I'll have two in the fall) are done with grammar curriculum. DD#3 will probably be forced to use the new Grammar for the WTM product either this fall or next year, depending on what we do for writing.  :coolgleamA:

After FLL4 (last year), we're memorizing from Memoria Press's Grammar Recitations. I'm not using their order and I'm not using their workbook, but they are learning some seriously awesome stuff. Based on what I've seen of the placement test for the WTMA class, they'd probably test into the intermediate grammar program. (I've never heard of some of the stuff in the advanced grammar class. They would probably get half of the questions on the Inter/Adv grammar placement test correct based on our work this year.)

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Is ALL or Grammar for the Well Trained Mind available yet? It doesn't look like it. Any more news on when it will be?

Looking or grammar for 5th grade. I don't want to skip it this year. I tried Hake with my older DD and didn't really like it.