Menu

He's nervous, but he's ready! --- Results are out! (post #71)

lewelma

• 2 weeks later...

So.  The APMO was on TUESDAY and STILL no update... :toetap05:

:lurk5:

Haha.   :001_smile:  DS is actually exhausted.  He and his friends got together to study all weekend because the two more advanced boys were trying to help out the less-advanced boy make the team.  By the time ds took the exam, he was *so* ready to be done.  He got one and a half problems out of 5, which believe it or not could gain him a bronze, -- kind of depends on how all the other kids did.  But the results of all this study and test taking is a boy who has been sleeping in to 9:30 most days and taking a much needed siesta (well, except for studying for the SAT and SAT subject tests). 

Interestingly, the local school which has the top marks in the nation tried to convince ds to enroll.  :001_smile:   DS pulled out his standard line that he couldn't possibly get up before 9, let alone get to school by then :001_cool: .  And believe it or not 2 different teachers including the head of the department said that they could have him skip the first class and start at 10!  Given that they have a rotating schedule every day, this would be a pretty big accommodation! DS kind of liked being courted for high school so they could list his accomplishments under their name. :001_rolleyes:

Team selection is in April. Only 2 Kiwi kids have ever made a gold on the AMO in 11th grade, so ds figures he's in, which of course means more study. He has decided his weakest is now geometry (oh no your dd)!

• Like 3

Wonderful!!  

I noticed he is listed as Te Kura so I assume everything is still working out with that?  And that he passed all his NZCEA stuff with great marks?

Te Kura has be awesome for ds!  They are so willing to work with him at his level and his speed. His English teacher has even agreed to help ds study for the SAT and to make comments on his USA university admissions essays.  She is just amazing. She told us that reading over the SAT essay marking schedules was "professional development" for her and that she really enjoyed it! As for NCEA, yup, all Excellences all the way.  :thumbup1:  

This has been a really good and positive year for ds compared to the ups and downs of last year.  The main problem he is having is just an incredibly full schedule.  Time management is becoming incredibly important so he has some down time. And I am finding navigating the American admissions process to university to be unbelievably difficult, confusing, and exhausting. 

Edited by lewelma
  • Like 1

Team selection is in April. Only 2 Kiwi kids have ever made a gold on the AMO in 11th grade, so ds figures he's in, which of course means more study. He has decided his weakest is now geometry (oh no your dd)!

NOW you tell me?!? :svengo:

( :laugh:  He's been doing fabulously well so far, Ruth; please pass that along for me.  He has done an excellent job of providing nudges in the right direction when she's stuck, without giving the problem away. Honestly, my short person is horrified at the thought of breaking the rules, so she's been hesitant for asking "outsiders" for help for fear that they will just "show her how to do the problem," ie, just do it for her.  Now, if he wants a little refresher on Analytic Geometry [of the Intro book sort], have him check his email; someone would just loooove to provide him the opportunity!)

• Like 1

Haha.   :001_smile:  DS is actually exhausted.  He and his friends got together to study all weekend because the two more advanced boys were trying to help out the less-advanced boy make the team.  By the time ds took the exam, he was *so* ready to be done.  He got one and a half problems out of 5, which believe it or not could gain him a bronze, -- kind of depends on how all the other kids did.  But the results of all this study and test taking is a boy who has been sleeping in to 9:30 most days and taking a much needed siesta (well, except for studying for the SAT and SAT subject tests). 

On a more serious note, it sounds like this was probably a good life lesson for him about the dangers of over-studying.  Our brains, no matter how brilliant, must be rested; it sounds like he overdid.  He should probably reflect on this and learn from it, because next year when he goes to MIT (or another equally fabulous school) he will need to pace himself in order to avoid burnout.  Because I have no doubt that he'll get in.  So there. :001_smile:

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

A belated congrats and a thank you.... I have been doing math circle topics with my son and a couple of kids for awhile, but your son inspired me to finally enter 2 kids (my son and one other child) in the Kangaroo math contest. It was a good experience for both, and they worked hard on some practise tests because they had a deadline  :hurray:

I feel like it is a first step to great things!!

Oh, and 800 kids were registered at their location - it was insane!

Edited by pinewarbler
  • Like 1