Menu

He's nervous, but he's ready! --- Results are out! (post #71)

lewelma

• 2 weeks later...

I'm feeling the need to also say I'm feeling a bit of   :001_huh: and  :blink: . It's kind of hard to believe that ds is at this point.  I'm NOT a mathematician, just chief cheerleader.  Sometimes it is hard to get my head around this kind of achievement. I'm also feeling quite a bit of  :001_wub: for this board and you guys as there is no one here who I can tell except my next door neighbor, who actually officially hosted my ds at his Law Library for the AMO 2 years ago.  :001_smile:

• Like 11

What happens next?

Well, the APMO is on Tuesday, but even if he bombs it, he is assured of a spot on the team with his AMO result. So barring unforeseen circumstances, he will be going to the IMO again in July!

If you want to take a peak, I temporarily posted the results page, and you can still see it in Laura's post 72.  His good friend and study buddy got 5th so they were congratulating each other last night on email.  In fact, NZ took 5 of the top 15 spots, which given NZ is 5x smaller than Australia is a really good showing.  DS is already talking about how good the team will be *next* year, as only 1 of those kids is in 12th grade (which is also true for Australia, year 13 in NZ is 12th grade in Australia and USA). And just to keep ds humble, he did get beaten by a 8th grader.  :001_smile:

• Like 7

Oh wow, Ruth, that is so fabulous.

Huge congrats to your son and to his friend too. What a huge achievement!

I'm feeling something akin to mama pride, so I can only imagine how you must be feeling.

Thanks heaps for sharing this journey. I follow it ever so closely and have sent cheers from afar  :hurray:

• Like 4

Oh wow, Ruth, that is so fabulous.

Huge congrats to your son and to his friend too. What a huge achievement!

I'm feeling something akin to mama pride, so I can only imagine how you must be feeling.

Thanks heaps for sharing this journey. I follow it ever so closely and have sent cheers from afar  :hurray:

I know, right?  He must get it from us! :laugh:

• Like 3

I've found him gazing at the results page multiple times today.  :001_wub:  

DS is showing signs of the start of burnout.  Having made the hurdle, he plans to take the next two days off of competition math and just focus on his English!  His other study buddy on the squad is not doing as well as he hoped, so the three of them are going to make a big push on Saturday, hoping to get him a stellar APMO score so he has a chance for the team. It may look like a competition from the outside, but the kids work so hard to support each other.  Often it seems that the only people who can actually empathize with the myriad emotions are the other kids on the same path.  

• Like 7