Menu

St. John's College (Annapolis)

AngryBircher17

Anyone have any experience with St. John's? I visited the Annapolis campus a month ago, and absolutely loved it! I love the Classical curriculum and the Socratic style of all the classes. I'll get my decision from St. John's on Wednesday. If I'm admitted, there's a very good chance I'm headed there this fall. However, I do have some concerns. I've read some older threads about St. John's on this board, and they seem to suggest that St. John's is anti-Christian and has a huge drug scene. I've also heard this opinion from a number of my teachers. Everything seemed fine when I visited, but this gives me pause. I know it's a very secular school, and that's fine. I don't have an issue with getting my beliefs challenged. However, as a devout Reformed Anglican, I don't want to attend a college that's hostile to Christian views. When I visited, students I spoke to told me that while the majority of students are Liberal, conservative political/religious views are welcome and tolerated. It seemed like a place where there is a true love for learning and freedom of thought. I'm just nervous about the culture at this college. I'm a preppy Paleoconservative Anglican guy who loves learning. I'm a very scholarly type( not nerdy) I'm not the type who's going to get into drugs, heavy drinking, and other immoral activities. Like I said, I LOVE the schools curriculum. My ultimate goal after undergrad is to get a PhD in either Classics or European History, and become a professor. St. John's is really good with getting kids into top PhD programs. Will there be other conservative Christian scholarly students at St. John's? Will I have a small group of likeminded friends to hang out with? I looked at Thomas Aquinas, but it's VERY Catholic, and I don't think I'd be comfortable there as a Protestant. I'm also waiting on a decision from Grove City College. I've already been admitted to my safety school; Hampden-Sydney.

Edited by AngryBircher17
  • Like 1

I looked at Thomas Aquinas, but it's VERY Catholic, and I don't think I'd be comfortable there as a Protestant

My son is at Thomas Aquinas.  You would be welcome as a protestant.  I mean, they make no bones about being very Catholic, but they have had protestants come and be comfortable, because they want the classical curriculum and the good atmosphere.  I've heard there have even been a few muslims for the same reason.  Santa Paula is about 6 miles away, so easily reachable if you have a car.

You could also check out Wyoming Catholic.  Very similar, and they have a horse program which is sort of unique.  It's where I would go if I got to choose now.

St. Johns is nice, but very expensive (even by private school prices) for us.  Plus my son wanted some place truly Catholic.  The thing that I would say is take a look at their curriculum and the books that they use before you decide to go.  While it's far more classical than the typical modern university, it's not really classical in the traditional sense, and their book list includes a lot of fairly modern books.  They aren't "bad" books, but if you are looking for serious classical, it might not be what you want.  You can find their curriculum and book list on their website. 

Downtown Annapolis is nice, and you'll be literally around the corner from the Naval Academy.  If you can take a car, you can come over to the eastern shore beaches (where I live) when the weather warms up in May.  The water will be too cold or swimming, but you'll be able to swim in Aug, and some years Sept, if you care about that.

DS17 has accepted his offer to St. John's Annapolis for September, 2017. We are also hoping that the students will be tolerant to all sorts of views because my son is not as liberal as most of his friends here at his Toronto highschool. He is interested in meeting a variety of people with differing viewpoints, but he leans conservative, and he craves discussion and the respectful debate of ideas. DS attended the Summer Academy at St. John's and loved it and met some great kids and teachers. Like you, he is into learning, not partying at all, so you won't be alone there! Feel free to private message me if you want to talk to my son.

My husband and children are reform Jewish, and I am a practising Catholic--an unusual family structure in our neck of the woods. The boys both learned Hebrew for their bar mitzvahs and also come with me to church on a semi-regular basis where I volunteer as a lector. As a family, we're very respectful of Judeo-Christian thought, so you have an ally there, too.

The college is very expensive, but offered good merit aid, which was essential for us because the Canadian dollar is extremely weak these days. DS wanted a very small college but Canada mostly has very large, even giant, universities. We started looking into American liberal arts colleges that advertise an appreciation of freedom of thought, colleges which might have a few other Jewish students, and were also located near where my extended family lives in Delaware. There weren't very many! :laugh:  St. John's seemed perfect for my son since he also has many interests, including history and politics, and couldn't decide on a major. He also wanted to live in an urban environment and Annapolis is a beautiful and small capital city. (DS is also interested in recreational tennis and there's a court on campus; also, he's a serious choral singer and there's a choral program at St. John's.)

Best of luck on your college search. Feel free to talk to me or DS.  

• Like 1

Have you looked at Patrick Henry? They use a lot of classics in their core curriculum, and classes involve a lot of discussion.

I have. I visited twice. The place is WAY too political for me. The college is focused on fighting the culture wars through politics. Moot Court and Debate are the life of the college. I'm a scholar, not a politician. I enjoy studying political philosophy, but hate modern politics. PHC also seems to be invested in NeoCon ideals. I don't want to spend 4 years being lectured about the wonders of democracy, the greatness of the free-market, and Reaganism. I'm a Paleoconservative Monarchist. I hate modern Conservatism. The other issue is that they'd Classics department doesn't seem strong at all. They're really good with getting grads into top law schools(Harvard, Yale, Columbia) but I doubt I'd be able to get into a top PhD program from PHC.

• 1 month later...

I'm late to the party but maybe you'll see this. My son is finishing his freshman year at St. John's in Annapolis. He is VERY conservative and not a party person at all. He has loved his first year there. I suspect he is something of an oddity given his conservative views but he has made friends (and some enemies) and he is enjoying the experience. I will say he is someone who doesn't back down from an argument and I know there have been a few clashes with some classmates. I think his tutors enjoy having the opposing opinions of my son and the other conservative students as it adds to the discussions. My son is not a religious person but several of his friends there are. Among his inner circle are a Mormon, a communist, a fascist and a number of others that fall across the spectrum of beliefs. Though they all love a good argument they also manage to get along with each other. If you would like, I could give you my son's contact info. He would be happy to talk with you and answer any questions.